Cost of a Birth USA VS UK, Canada , Australia etc

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Cost of a Birth USA VS UK, Canada , Australia etc

Post by Doodoo » September 13, 2019, 10:44 am

Having a birth in the USA certainly shocked some with the price. Just to give you an idea

In the US it was US$54,371, or ... wait for it ... CAD$71,456 JUST TO HAVE A BABY!!!!
And, as Mosher detailed, the delivery wasn’t even what you might consider complicated (which can increase the cost). He said the mother was healthy, and had a standard vaginal birth without the use of any epidural or anesthetics. The baby was healthy and didn’t require any additional tests or procedures. They spent 48 hours in Mount Sinai hospital.
Other countries
“Private room, dedicated midwife, 12 hours oxytocin, epidural, emergency cesarean. 3 night in hospital w meals, breast feeding clinic, diapers, & round the clock care. My bill? $12.00. America doesn’t deserve women,” a Canadian wrote.

“Cost to my sister back in UK for the same? A grand total of £0.00,” another person added.

“I had triplets. Here in Australia my bill was $0.00 The American system sux,” added another.

"Toronto, Canada. High risk, hospital delivery of 4-week premature twins, epidural, 2-week ICU stay.
Cost out of pocket: $0"
NOTE: All number is CDN$
According to Business Insider, the average cost of having an uncomplicated vaginal birth in the U.S. is $14,217. Even if one is lucky enough to have health insurance ― which is sometimes available through an employer’s group coverage plan, can be purchased directly from a health insurance company, or sometimes available through government programs like Medicaid (if you qualify) ― you can still be left paying about $4,000, according to the Economist.

And the numbers vary widely by state and hospital. The most expensive state, according to Business Insider, is Alaska. There, an average vaginal birth with insurance costs $14,052, while an uninsured vaginal birth costs $26,017. A C-section with insurance costs, on average, $19,683. Without insurance? $37,484.

The Institute calculated that in 2002-2003, the average in-patient uncomplicated vaginal birth cost $2,700, and a C-section cost $4,600. Hospital costs for newborns cost anywhere from $795 for a healthy full-term baby to $117,806 for a baby that weighs less than 750 grams at birth. The average NICU stay cost $9,700. Again, this is generally covered by the province.

Rates do tend to be lower in Canada, according to Insider, which makes the country a destination for birth tourism.

joepai
udonmap.com

Re: Cost of a Birth USA VS UK, Canada , Australia etc

Post by joepai » September 13, 2019, 4:09 pm

Only had one child in the UK and that was delivered free, sorry do not know about other countries
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Cost of a Birth USA VS UK, Canada , Australia etc

Post by Giggle » September 13, 2019, 6:27 pm

Nothing is free. You've paid for it through withheld wages, comrade. Even citizens who never have babies have paid for it. Nothing is free.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Return to “Open Forum”