Need to produce ID when paying utilities.

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Need to produce ID when paying utilities.

Post by Brian Davis » February 10, 2020, 5:55 pm

Again, sorry if this has already featured in/as a topic.
Is it a new thing that I.D's are being requested at outlets where you can pay utility bills? My wife tells me that this was the case at our local Tesco's. I understand it applies to Thai as much as foreigners. What's the thinking here? - to check your ID, that the ID address is the same as on the bill, although there will be cases when a third party is paying anyway. Big Brother watching? Does a foreigner have to produce a passport (a Thai driving license held by a foreigner was 'rejected' in an earlier case), or wait for e.g. his Thai wife to appear?
I appreciate Post Offices have been requesting I.D's for some time when sending parcels, but that's a different argument.
I have a farang version of the Thai I.D. card, so I'll have to see if that's accepted, or is 'bounced' too.
I find it strange, as if one wanted to borrow money, not actually pay some! :lol:

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Need to produce ID when paying utilities.

Post by noosard » February 10, 2020, 6:02 pm

Farang id no good only thai blue id card will be accepted
7eleven no id needed
Why wtf knows

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 10, 2020, 8:04 pm

paid my water bill at 7/11 the other day.. No ID requested...
Dave

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 10, 2020, 8:10 pm

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 11, 2020, 7:12 am

Logically you would think that the Utilities having their bill paid, would not worry who is actually paying it. Here as we all know what appears to be logical to the Thai mindset is NOT .
We just have to live with it folks , grin and bear it smile sweetly while probably thinking what a load of numpties eh....lol

minimiglia
udonmap.com

Post by minimiglia » February 11, 2020, 7:41 am

just use 7 11 too easy

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 11, 2020, 9:45 am

Khun Paul wrote:
February 11, 2020, 7:12 am
We just have to live with it folks , grin and bear it smile sweetly while probably thinking what a load of numpties eh....lol
Seen that facial expression regularly on Thais when dealing with clueless falangs

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 11, 2020, 10:06 am

Perhaps, (if you find it such an inconvenience) someone could contact the correct dept at Tesco and enquire why they are asking for ID on bill payments of less than the stated B500,000.
It would appear that either someone at Tesco has misinterpreted the new regulation (and nobody has corrected them) or the English translation is incorrect, although as its the numbers are the main problem, the later seems somewhat unlikely

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » February 11, 2020, 10:30 am

samster wrote:
February 11, 2020, 9:45 am
Khun Paul wrote:
Seen that facial expression regularly on Thais when dealing with clueless falangs
Logically you would think that the Utilities having their bill paid, would not worry who is actually paying it.

so you think somebody who thinks like this is a clueless farang ?Strange

There is no logic or common sense in thailand
Same as air asia and thai air authority asking for original birth certificate . I am still waiting for them to tell me how i get a non existent document even pointing out to them original means only 1 of which copies are made from.
Or as when i atm card in the machine and phoned to cancel it with my name address date of birth . they found my account but would not cancel without my passport number . Had to go home and took over an hour to cancel . When my daughters in uk was stolen from her car I cancelled the card in minutes but the card had already been used twice at a petrol station and small shop buying drink and cigarettes.Took me over an hour in thailand.
Or when i bought a car seat cover in do home which did not fit the car it was intended for parked outside and would not refund me without my passport and 3 pages of a4 filled out and copied . took me nearly 2 hours to get a refund after i went home for my passport.
The list is endless and this only happens in thailand

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 11, 2020, 11:44 am

not strictly true dragonz. I think it is more a generational thing than a "Thai" thing.

It has just taken me 2 months from the time I requested a funds transfer from my UK bank to my Thai bank. It managed to "fail" on 3 separate occasions and each time we had to follow the same process (taking an extra 10 working days) before they would consider it as "failed" and retry. No matter how urgent the situation was becoming they would not for one minute deviate from the "laid down procedure".
Back in the days when I was at work, the rule book would have been thrown out the window, and someone would have taken the responsibility to make sure on the second occasion it did not fail..
Its now got to the point where nobody is prepared to do anything that's not in the Written Down rules for fear of being sued or sacked even if what they do solves the problem

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 11, 2020, 1:35 pm

Too often here one finds Decision making is left to the Boss, as underlings dare not breach any rule or even make a decision as it may cost the boss money , if you accept that flawed thinking then if a problem ask to see the manager/boss straight away , problems solved, I used to have a xproblem at Big C paying a bill, now I have a Big C card, they know who I am and no problems although no-one could explain why this info was needed in the first place, go to TOT/PEA/True? Water Dept , never ever have they asked for ID or any means of verifying who you are , they just take the cash and give you a receipt . I think it is an ADMIN thing by companies to protect themselves, why is beyond my ken. But as so often the mentality of Thais in this electronic age is more mysterious than the origins of the human species . Not just Thjais I hasten to add some of the tourists/expats are as equally odd.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 11, 2020, 4:05 pm

dragonz wrote:
February 11, 2020, 10:30 am
samster wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
Just thought I would join in with the general stereotyping. My bad

Sateeb
udonmap.com

Post by Sateeb » February 11, 2020, 4:47 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
Logically you would think that the Utilities having their bill paid, would not worry who is actually paying it. Here as we all know what appears to be logical to the Thai mindset is NOT .
About them no. About you then definitely. Let's do this one again... If you and where you are from is so fantastic then off you jolly well pop back to it. :wave: :wave: :wave:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 11, 2020, 5:43 pm

samster wrote:
February 11, 2020, 4:05 pm
dragonz wrote:
February 11, 2020, 10:30 am
samster wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
Just thought I would join in with the general stereotyping. My bad
Well said.

Seems to be a lot of it going around at the moment - UM's very own version of the coronavirus. =P~

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 11, 2020, 5:48 pm

Sateeb wrote:
February 11, 2020, 4:47 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
About them no. About you then definitely. Let's do this one again... If you and where you are from is so fantastic then off you jolly well pop back to it. :wave: :wave: :wave:
Don’t think I’ve ever heard anything positive from KP/Eques Guns or whatever he calls himself this week, you have to wonder why he and his ilk stick around if they’re so disappointed with Thai/Thailand, maybe one of his “friends” can tell us.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » February 11, 2020, 6:13 pm

vincemunday wrote:
February 11, 2020, 5:48 pm
Sateeb wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
Don’t think I’ve ever heard anything positive from KP/Eques Guns or whatever he calls himself this week, you have to wonder why he and his ilk stick around if they’re so disappointed with Thai/Thailand, maybe one of his “friends” can tell us.
do you really understand what you say or do you just naturally spout rubbish . In every country in the world there are bad thing and i as others would not be happy with any of it in any country but when thailand is critized you tell them go home. Are u real ??
In my area child rape is rife as in most of thailand with no punishment for the rapist . Should i not complain about that ! Childrens deaths by drowning is more than accidents , 4 kids a day under 25 drown . Should i not complain about that ??
Injustice for poor thai people is rife should i not complain about that ???
In uk there are muslims and pedos raping kids constantly shoudld i not complain about that !!?? This is not about thailand but things that are bad or not done correctly and most people would complain about it in any country in the world but this is a thai forum so the complains are about thais . Asking for an id to pay money to someone is ludicrous and stupid as u well know. I f you think mthais are perfect you are living in cuckoo land

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 11, 2020, 7:29 pm

dragonz wrote:
February 11, 2020, 6:13 pm
vincemunday wrote:
February 11, 2020, 5:48 pm
Sateeb wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
do you really understand what you say or do you just naturally spout rubbish . In every country in the world there are bad thing and i as others would not be happy with any of it in any country but when thailand is critized you tell them go home. Are u real ??
In my area child rape is rife as in most of thailand with no punishment for the rapist . Should i not complain about that ! Childrens deaths by drowning is more than accidents , 4 kids a day under 25 drown . Should i not complain about that ??
Injustice for poor thai people is rife should i not complain about that ???
In uk there are muslims and pedos raping kids constantly shoudld i not complain about that !!?? This is not about thailand but things that are bad or not done correctly and most people would complain about it in any country in the world but this is a thai forum so the complains are about thais . Asking for an id to pay money to someone is ludicrous and stupid as u well know. I f you think mthais are perfect you are living in cuckoo land
Shooting from the hip are we?

Where do I tell people to go home?
Where do I say Thai are perfect?
Where do I say we don't have problems at home? Although I don't fully understand how we go from paying a water bill to pedophilia.
My wife happily shows her ID when she pays the bills, what's the big deal?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 11, 2020, 8:10 pm

"My wife happily shows her ID when she pays the bills, what's the big deal?"

I have no doubt that she is quite happy Vince, however, as someone from a country that has had to fight against "Big Brother" and the introduction of any form of ID cards for the last 80 years I'm sure you are perfectly capable of explaining to her why she should not be happy about it :lol:

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 11, 2020, 8:38 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 11, 2020, 8:10 pm
"My wife happily shows her ID when she pays the bills, what's the big deal?"

I have no doubt that she is quite happy Vince, however, as someone from a country that has had to fight against "Big Brother" and the introduction of any form of ID cards for the last 80 years I'm sure you are perfectly capable of explaining to her why she should not be happy about it :lol:
Sorry Statts, wrong man, I completely agree with ID cards.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 12, 2020, 10:45 am

Sateeb wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:
Nowhere is perfect , but on this point the emphasis is on the silliness of asking for ID when you are paying a Utilities Bill as the agent for the recipient in this case Tesco is not receiving the money but rather assisting in providing a service for the recipient .
If it was a personalised account to which only the user could pay that I understand but you can walk into any Utilities head office and pay a bill for Forest Gump, they would not care or worry as long as they got the amount required by the presented bill . Go figure numpties abound more so here which is sad .

Return to “Open Forum”