Drivers in the UK over the age of 70 could be banned from driving at night

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Niggly
udonmap.com

Drivers in the UK over the age of 70 could be banned from driving at night

Post by Niggly » April 2, 2021, 11:29 pm

Implement this scheme in Thailand, particularly Udon Thani? Absolutely ..........
Drivers over the age of 70 could be banned from driving at night under new plans

The Sunday Times
02/04/2021
Author: By Kieran Doody

Drivers over the age of 70 with poor health could be banned from driving at night under new plans according to a report in The Sunday Times.
Proposals being discussed by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) would also mean older drivers would have to stay in their local area.
Anyone over the age of 70 with a health condition which impacts their driving, such as diabetes, Parkinson’s or epilepsy, will be able to register for a ‘graduate driving licence’.
With this licence, they would be restricted to a 20 to 30 mile radius from their home address, and could be banned from driving after dark.

The proposals have not been finalised and are just in the discussion stage at this point, but are seen as a potential improvement on the current system for older drivers.
Once someone with a driving licence reaches 70, their license expires and they must then tell the DVLA whether they have any of the medical conditions which might impact their driving.
Speaking to The Sunday Times, Edward Trewhella, chief executive of Driving Mobility, said: “A lot of older drivers stick within their own locality — they go to the shop, the doctor’s surgery, go and see a granddaughter down the road, probably on minor roads with which they are familiar.”

The president of the AA told the newspaper that a better solution would be for doctors and health workers to identify people who are medically unfit to be driving.
He said: “They are there to save lives and what better way to save lives than to prevent someone who you know is capable of killing through their own medical condition.”
As Britain has an ageing population, with many people remaining active and even in work longer, roads are becoming increasingly busy with older drivers.
Recent figures show that the number of over-70s active on the road has doubled in the last 25 years.
A pilot scheme in Hampshire found that a significant number of elderly drivers who were involved in car accidents hadn’t notified the DVLA of their health conditions.
The scheme offered elderly drivers involved in accidents to take a fitness-to-drive test rather than be prosecuted.

*Sits back, feet up, watches the show*
*snigger*

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: Drivers in the UK over the age of 70 could be banned from driving at night

Post by AlexO » April 3, 2021, 7:08 am

Not sure what affect on your driving ability has if you are diabetic but pretty damned sure you should not be in charge of a vehicle if you are epileptic or have Parkinson's. It's not too far off when age related euthanasia is going to be introduced. Too many people on the planet already, resources running out, if you are past your productive years why not become fertilizer.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 3, 2021, 7:42 am

After 70 you need to see your doctor to be certified fit to be able to drive this does also include a sight test as well as a few other statutory responses PLUS your doctor KNOWS your medical history. so this is nothing NEW
The onloy NEW item is the idea that Night Driving is restricted, which as many of us march ever onwards to anolder age, many find NIGHT driving more difficult anyway, so nothing controversial there.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 3, 2021, 7:53 am

The medical conditions mentioned and others in Aus have always been required to be reported and noted and certain limits applied, regardless of age.
Once over 75 then a medical certificate must be carried at all times outlining any restrictions.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 3, 2021, 8:21 am

Probably not a bad idea. At 76 years old my night vision has deteriorated to the point that I realize that I should not
driving after dark, and I don't. For me, it's simply a vision problem.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 3, 2021, 8:29 am

My dad, a graduate of several advanced driving courses while a serving policeman and never had a prang in his driving life, decided to hang up his car keys when he was about 63. His last job had been transport manager for an oil and gas company which sometimes needed him stepping in to drive the minivans collecting and dropping off the local workers. That meant loads of rush-hour traffic. After a few years of that malarkey, he said the fun had gone out of driving and he just didn't feel as confident behind the wheel as he used to.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 3, 2021, 8:38 am

With regard to diabetes being a possible risk to safe driving, I read that a poorly managed insulin regimen or possibly a dietary error can lead to spontaneous black outs and incapacitation. My ex- fiancee was hypoglycemic and if she had a can of regular, sugary soda with lunch, she would conk out for 10 or 15 minutes and never realize it had happened, passed out on the sofa at home. Once she was diagnosed, she avoided using drive-through's for lunch just in case the server made a mistake and didn't give her a diet, sugar-free soda.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » April 3, 2021, 9:22 am

tamada , My dad, a graduate of several advanced driving courses while a serving policeman and never had a prang in his driving life, Is your dad , Khun Paul , that would make quite a few things add up ... lol

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 3, 2021, 10:06 am

timmy wrote:
April 3, 2021, 9:22 am
tamada , My dad, a graduate of several advanced driving courses while a serving policeman and never had a prang in his driving life, Is your dad , Khun Paul , that would make quite a few things add up ... lol
No timmy. As far as I know KP never graduated from Tulliallan, where the Scottish police forces are trained.

Apart from that small detail, I actually KNEW my father.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 3, 2021, 10:09 am

My dad just stopped driving, my mum voluntarily surrendered her license
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 3, 2021, 11:20 am

My father taught my mother to drive, so there we had it: The 1st and 2nd worst drivers in the western world. Fortunately for many they both hung up their keys at a reasonably young (old) age, just after the olde man drove Mum's newly acquired automatic Nissan through the garage door, across the floor and out the back taking the down stairs bathroom with him.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » April 4, 2021, 10:57 am

tamada wrote:
April 3, 2021, 8:38 am
With regard to diabetes being a possible risk to safe driving, I read that a poorly managed insulin regimen or possibly a dietary error can lead to spontaneous black outs and incapacitation. My ex- fiancee was hypoglycemic and if she had a can of regular, sugary soda with lunch, she would conk out for 10 or 15 minutes and never realize it had happened, passed out on the sofa at home. Once she was diagnosed, she avoided using drive-through's for lunch just in case the server made a mistake and didn't give her a diet, sugar-free soda.
Agree Tam. I am starting to really dislike night driving not just because of the Ting Tong others but I feel my reaction time is getting worse as I get older. If my wife had a couple of connected brain cells I would get her driving lessons but jeez would have to take Beta Blockers to get in the car with her at the wheel.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 4, 2021, 12:20 pm

My father drives everyday, usually pulling his bass boat on a trailer. But he's not nearly as old as some of the grouchy fossils on this forum. When I'm 70 I'll have my driver take me where I need to go.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Return to “Open Forum”