Kite watching

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
noosard
udonmap.com

Kite watching

Post by noosard » January 19, 2023, 8:49 am

Seems a dangerous pastime
11 dead, including baby, after throats slashed by kite strings or falling off buildings

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Kite watching

Post by Khun Paul » January 19, 2023, 8:59 am

Seems attitude to life expectancy als0 covers this gentle activity same as motorbikes, Karma and Buddha seem to walk together

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 19, 2023, 10:48 am

Khun Paul wrote:
January 19, 2023, 8:59 am
Seems attitude to life expectancy als0 covers this gentle activity same as motorbikes, Karma and Buddha seem to walk together
In India as well?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 19, 2023, 2:52 pm

Kadena Air Base was in lock-down mode for a typhoon back in the 1980s. Once in lock-down mode, if you weren't confined to work, you were confined to one of the 3 story barracks for the duration. After plenty of alcohol, a group decided to make a kite out of a bedsheet and took it to the roof for a test. The wind promptly dragged the rope-holder off the roof.....broke a number of bones, but probably less than if he wasn't under the influence.

Back in Udon....up until 2007, there was an elderly man in our village who built large Khmer kites out of bamboo/newspaper. The kites has tails that were probably 20' long, and a musical reed afixed to the top of the kite that rang out a warboling tone. Our gardener at the time flew the kites in the evening on heavy string that was several hundred meters long. If his timing was good, he'd get the kite up with the winds from the setting sun, then the kite would stay afloat for several hours in the higher altitude winds of the evening. All along, the musical sound could be heard quite a distance away.
There's a long history to the kites......one site said ancient armies used them to scare away invaders.
Unfortunately, I've never seen another kite maker like the one from our village......I did take 30 or more photos of the last kite he made for me. I could probably duplicate the kite......but the reed was made using a local grass and some molten tree sap to attach it to the bent piece of bamboo on top. That would be difficult to make.
photos
https://www.voacambodia.com/a/governmen ... ears%20old.
sound
https://soundcloud.com/user-594222582/002_khlaeng-ek
village kite maker
Attachments
DSC01421.jpg
DSC01421.jpg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 410 times
DSC01397.jpg

Return to “Open Forum”