Getting a new UK passport

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
rick
udonmap.com

Getting a new UK passport

Post by rick » February 6, 2023, 7:45 pm

Last week i applied for a UK passport for my daughter. Here are some tips and other info for those who haven't done it before.

First, when applying for a passport in Thailand, go to site:-

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

You need to download the guidance booklet, the group 2 supporting documents table, the application form and a payment form. Also if not have a Thai address, and applying for a Childs passport, might need a parents contact details form (needed if living in separate countries. Forms needs to be filled in black ink, or may get rejected.

If applying for a child's first passport, you need quite a few documents. And all documents MUST have English translations if in Thai. And all documents require colour photocopies. Certified Thai birth certificates can be obtained in English from the Amphoe for about 30 baht. Beware that your Thai wife, if older, may not have a Thai Birth certificate (or at least one the amphoe can find); The Amphoe may be able to provide an alternative document, but it requires witnesses, and other proof (which is what my wife had to do).

The 2 passport photos required have very specific size requirements - the default photos supplied by Thai photographic studios usually do not conform ( as was the case with my daughter), so it pays to state exactly what is required.

Next: You may wish to use an agent as it saves a trip to Bangkok. However, it does mean you have to post passports, birth certificates etc. to them. They are unlikely to be lost, but if they did, could cause a problem. I was going to use Keyvisa, as they have a good reputation, but the owner died and it was unclear if/when they would continue operating. My second choice told me he was going on holiday just as i was going to apply, which would have caused further delay, so i decided to do it myself.

This is the trip information. First, need to book an appointment time online, at [email protected]

This appointment will be about one week in the future. about a week.

I booked an appointment for 13:00, as i only wanted to do a day trip.

I flew Thai smile at 7:55 am. to Suvarnabhumi, arriving at 9.05 a.m.I then took the airport Train line to Makkasan, and then transferred to the blue line at Petchaburi (there is a covered walkway between the two), then travelled one stop to Sukhumvit station. From there i walked towards Asok and turned right onto Sukhumvit, then walked about 500 metres up to Soi 13 (first soi you get to is soi 19, then you know you are going the right way, note, sign for Soi 13 not easily seen from this direction, have to also look backwards after crossing each soi. About 200 metres up is trendy house, on the right hand side (easy to spot). Took about 2 hours in all to get there, trains and ticket machines busy. You then need to take the lift to the 8th floor, and the VFS office is in front of you, a little to the left. Do not go more than 15 minutes early, as you may be turned away - and DO NOT take a laptop - not permitted (you have to go through a security check).

If in need of extra photocopies, shop next door to VFS will do them. Your application is checked, original documents are returned to you, and they will allow you to correct errors or omissions within reason and return a few minutes later. You then present your payment form, and you will be issued a receipt and application number (needed to collect passport)

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Re: Getting a new UK passport

Post by Brian Davis » February 7, 2023, 4:27 am

Thanks rick, useful information. I have been to Trendy before, but years ago, of course. I have to renew my passport before much longer, with one eye on ensuring there's enough validity left not to get rejected at Immigration. I also feel I should obtain a passport for my son, whilst I'm still kicking and have some knowledge/experience of the procedures. He's only 11 years now and we've no intention of going to the UK in immediate future. But who knows the longer term and choices he may make, when I'm, maybe, not around?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 7, 2023, 6:19 am

As an aside, I got my daughter a first (5 year) passport when she was one yr old. I have not renewed it at age 6 or 11 as it seemed like a waste of money (she wasnt gonna travel abroad). When she reaches sixteen she can get a 10 year renewal, safe in the knowledge that she has the proof of citizenship etc from her first passport and wont have problems getting a "first passport" at that age

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 7, 2023, 6:55 am

A timely update on the process, thanks. My oldest is 15 in April so will hold off renewing his expired UK passport until he qualifies for the 10 year one. I'll probably get the ball rolling on the youngest one though. He'll be 5 this summer.

I don't recall having to provide Mrs tam's birth certificate as part of the process for the oldest lad's first passport 12 years ago. Maybe procedures have changed or more likely I've forgotten.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 7, 2023, 8:27 am

Lately having forgotten that Passports expire ( it is an age thing forgetfulness ) and remembering that Key Visas owner died and the subsequent fallout by Internet warriors as to its viability, I made enquires through contacts and Key Visa is operating as before ,
A company still running and maintaining the safety and integrity as befits he ONLY company outside Bangkok to retain the unique authority to do what they do.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 7, 2023, 8:29 am

Khun Paul wrote:
February 7, 2023, 8:27 am
Lately having forgotten that Passports expire ( it is an age thing forgetfulness ) and remembering that Key Visas owner died and the subsequent fallout by Internet warriors as to its viability, I made enquires through contacts and Key Visa is operating as before ,
A company still running and maintaining the safety and integrity as befits he ONLY company outside Bangkok to retain the unique authority to do what they do.
Thanks for checking KP. That does make it a whole lot easier than before.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 10, 2023, 6:39 pm

I also deliberately waited untul my daughter was 11 years, so that her next passport would be the 10 year one. We do intend to go UK this year, but not 100% certain. Wife's birth certificate - it asked for it in the guidance, didn't clearly say if 100% needed, but they did also take a copy of her thai passport front page, her blue book entry and id card copy, although none of those were specifically asked for. I took every document i could think of with me, just in case.

Forgot to say, passport fee went up February 2nd.

Return to “Open Forum”