Tax Identification Number (TIN)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Tax Identification Number (TIN)

Post by jackspratt » March 18, 2021, 5:07 pm

I have just received a letter from my bank in Oz, requiring me to provide details of my Thailand TIN.

I am not aware of ever paying tax here - although withholding tax may have been taken from my term deposit which holds my immigration funds.

A couple of questions:

- has anyone had a similar request from their overseas bank, particularly from Oz?

- does anyone (other than those who do work and/or pay income tax here) have such a TIN, and how did they go about getting it?

Cheers

ps I note there is another sub-forum, with an almost identical name "Money, Banking & Investments" found here viewforum.php?f=124 , and wonder if this is an accident of history. Perhaps the 2 should be joined together.

I have self-reported this post, so hopefully Admin will take a look at it.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Re: Tax Identification Number (TIN)

Post by semperfiguy » March 18, 2021, 6:35 pm

Jackspratt, I have a Thai TIN, and it was given to me when I filed for the return of the withholding on interest paid on my bank account. They prepared the return for me in a matter of minutes and gave me a little yellow card to keep with the number on it. Just head down to the Revenue Department across from Tung Sri Muang.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 18, 2021, 6:43 pm

Screenshot_20210318-184310.jpg

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 18, 2021, 7:00 pm

Thanks sfg (and tam) - from further reading, seems I might get a few Baht back if I have had tax withheld from my term deposit.

May even cover the cost of the E20 for a return drive to Udon. :D

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 18, 2021, 7:50 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 18, 2021, 7:00 pm
Thanks sfg (and tam) - from further reading, seems I might get a few Baht back if I have had tax withheld from my term deposit.

Jackspratt, they will return to you the withholding on the first 20,000 in interest paid to you, so 15% equals 3000 baht max you will receive back.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 20, 2021, 5:51 am

I had a TIN when I was living in Thailand and from memory I even filed a couple of income tax returns. I recall filing one just before I left Thailand long term. I still have a bank account in Oz and they asked me for my NZ tax number quite a while ago.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 22, 2021, 9:09 am

semperfiguy wrote:
March 18, 2021, 7:50 pm
jackspratt wrote:
March 18, 2021, 7:00 pm

Jackspratt, they will return to you the withholding on the first 20,000 in interest paid to you, so 15% equals 3000 baht max you will receive back.
There is nothing in the law preventing you getting back all the tax paid. There is certainly no limit to the amount you can reclaim from bank interest. As with all countries if the tax paid is under the personal tax free allowance you get it all back.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 22, 2021, 2:53 pm

Took the plunge today, and went into the Udon Revenue Office to see if I could get my TIN.

After a bit of confusion about which building and floor I needed, I ended up on the 1st (ground) floor of the building on the right as you walk through the main vehicle exit.

As it was just before noon, I was expecting a wait for the lunch break and settled into the waiting area for about 20 minutes. I then approached the woman to whom I had been directed (station #10) and she seemed happy to assist through her break.

Documents required were:

- passport
- blue tabien baan
- yellow tabien baan (also asked if I had a "pink card", which I don't.

She also asked if I was working, and wanted to pay tax in Thailand, to which I said no both times.

After a few signatures on photocopies, and some entries onto her computer, my new Form 10.1 was produced. All very efficient and friendly.

The document is entirely in Thai, but I suspect it is a Thai Personal Identification Number (PIN), rather than a Tax Identification Number (TIN). I say this because the actual number is the same as appears on my yellow house book ie 6-XXXX-YYYYY-ZZ-1.

No cost. :D

As I was getting hungry (and no doubt she was also), I decided to leave the question of a refund of tax paid on my bank interest to another time.

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”