where to exchange Laos Kip?

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

where to exchange Laos Kip?

Post by chopperjoey » June 21, 2022, 10:13 am

I got Laos Kip according to online currency converters its about 950 baht. All banks including in Central i asked do not exchange Kip.
I finally found one exchange boot in UD Town in the Lotus passage, that exchanges Kip. However, they offered about 500 baht, which seems a bit low.
Are there other places to exchange Kip here in Udon Thani? ...

papafarang
udonmap.com

Re: where to exchange Laos Kip?

Post by papafarang » June 21, 2022, 12:14 pm

surprised you could find anywhere that would change them, met a couple of backpackers once who were trying to exchange 2,300,000 kip into baht. why they left Laos with that much is mind boggling . best bet is finding someone heading over there
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

chopperjoey
udonmap.com

Post by chopperjoey » June 21, 2022, 12:54 pm

papafarang wrote:
June 21, 2022, 12:14 pm
surprised you could find anywhere that would change them, met a couple of backpackers once who were trying to exchange 2,300,000 kip into baht. why they left Laos with that much is mind boggling . best bet is finding someone heading over there
thanks.
yes it wasnt that easy especially kind of a wild goose chase, because i asked staff at various banks and unwilling to bluntly admit they hadnt a clue, they kindly provided me with information where to go that was not wholly correct...
one bank employee whom i had to interrupt from her Facebook finally gave me info that lead me to the currency exchanger at UD Town..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 21, 2022, 1:28 pm

I was reading that Laos has appointed a new central bank governor and will be clamping down on daily forex transactions.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/23301 ... s-fx-sales

That may result in less yellow-plated, LHD SUV's around town?

Not sure how that impacts the OP's money swap but maybe just hang onto it?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 21, 2022, 7:23 pm

There's a gold shop next to the Fountain Circle which used to exchange Lao Kip. They had a sign out front showing various currencies. I'm not sure if they're still doing it or not.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”