Drawing cash with Wise ATM cards in Thailand

arjay
udonmap.com

Drawing cash with Wise ATM cards in Thailand

Post by arjay » September 12, 2022, 9:48 pm

Has anyone had any experience of drawing cash at Thai ATM's using a Wise (formerly TransferWise) ATM card?

Wise say one can draw cash (in the local currency) without problem or charges, and if one holds Thai baht in the Wise account, they will take the funds from that balance, thus avoiding any exchange rates. The only downside is that I believe Wise only allow one to draw something like £200 in one month, after that Wise do make a charge per transaction.

Does anyone have any experience of that, and if so, does it work well, as Wise suggest? I believe the Thai ATM should not make any charges, but am a bit more dubious about that one. Again, does anyone have any experience of that?
Last edited by arjay on September 12, 2022, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Drawing cash with Wise ATM cards in Thailand

Post by 747man » September 12, 2022, 10:23 pm

arjay wrote:
September 12, 2022, 9:48 pm
Has anyone had any experience of drawing cash at Thai ATM's using their Wise (formerly TransferWise) ATM card?

Wise say one can draw cash (in the local currency) without problem or charges, and if one holds Thai baht in the Wise account, they will take the funds from that balance, thus avoiding any exchange rates. The only downside is that I believe Wise only allow one to draw something like £200 in one month, after that Wise do make a charge per transaction.

Does anyone have any experience of that, and if so, does it work well, as Wise suggest? I believe the Thai ATM should not make any charges, but am a bit more dubious about that one. Again, does anyone have any experience of that?
Has ANYBODY In Thailand got a Wise ATM Card ??

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 13, 2022, 3:54 am

Yes 474 - in fact I have been tapping away, and using the ATMs here in the US, with my $US account on the Wise debit card for nearly a week.

It has worked flawlessly.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » September 13, 2022, 3:25 pm

jackspratt wrote:
September 13, 2022, 3:54 am
Yes 474 - in fact I have been tapping away, and using the ATMs here in the US, with my $US account on the Wise debit card for nearly a week.

It has worked flawlessly.
It Might Work THERE, But Will it WORK HERE ??

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 13, 2022, 7:19 pm

747man wrote:
September 12, 2022, 10:23 pm
arjay wrote:
September 12, 2022, 9:48 pm
Has anyone had any experience of drawing cash at Thai ATM's using their Wise (formerly TransferWise) ATM card?

Has ANYBODY In Thailand got a Wise ATM Card ??
Or anyone visiting Thailand?

And yes, the question was about using a Wise card in Thailand.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 13, 2022, 10:29 pm

Based on my experience of the past week - albeit not in Thailand - I would be confident that you will be able to use your Wise debit card for purchases in Thailand.

Cash withdrawals at ATMs are still likely to attract a fee. However, it is my understanding that if you do a counter withdrawal inside the bank branch, there is no fee. Perhaps someone else could confirm this.

There is plenty of information here https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... n+thailand

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 13, 2022, 11:14 pm

No WISE-specific experience, sorry.

I am not sure if ANY sort of plastic avoids the Thai bank's 220 baht "convenience" fee.

At an increasing amount of bank branches, especially the "convenient" ones inside shopping malls, they will politely decline to do a counter withdrawal and point the customer seeking to do one to the ATM outside.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “Money, Banking & Investments”