Rough treatment by traffic police

Udon Thani news, views and comments
Ing_udon
udonmap.com

Rough treatment by traffic police

Post by Ing_udon » December 9, 2009, 1:04 pm

Udon Thani - 8th December 2009

Two 16 year old students from the computer department at Santaphol college, informed the Udon Thani police that a traffic police officer caused an accident when he grabbed the pillion passengers jacket. The officer grabbed her jacket in order to stop the motorbike, she fell down on the road and passed out for a short while. The traffic police showed no mercy and continued to fine the rider 200 baht. The rider asked the police if she could she pay later because she wanted to take care of her friend first. The police wouldn't let her. Several people who witnesses the incident said she should report this to the police.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Re: Rough treatment by traffic police

Post by Texpat » December 9, 2009, 1:12 pm

"report it to the police." =D>

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » December 9, 2009, 1:26 pm

Obviously half of the story missing. They did not stop and tried a runner because no helmet/insurance/driver license. Wanna bet?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 9, 2009, 6:15 pm

Sorry, I have seen it happen before, there is always two sides and many times Police just watch the m/c ride off, but if in close proximity they react as this one did, oh well next time they will stop ....I doubt it but one hopes.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 9, 2009, 6:31 pm

Still a dangerous practice...but TIT and not only TIT as similar would happen elsewhere in the world, if been ordered to stop and made a run for it .......i can't imagine that the police do it for a laugh and at random.
Should use stingers... :mrgreen:

Barstool
udonmap.com

Post by Barstool » December 9, 2009, 8:53 pm

I remember in days of yore when it was fisticuffs time after 35 "Light and Diamonds" in Hertfordshire on a friday night, if the foe were getting the better, I'd play dead aswell .... normally works :|

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » December 15, 2009, 7:17 pm

If you have the time it's usually entertaining to just hang around where the police are doing traffic stops.

I've seen motorcyclists try some of the most outstanding stunts when they realize the police are ahead. U-turns without any regard for traffic: Trying to race past the police: Getting struck by the police by whatever the cop has at hand as they speed by: Trying to get their helmet out of the basket and on their head: Having the third and fourth passenger get off while still moving. Laurel and Hardy could have taken slap-stick comedy lessons here.

On one panic u-turn the rider lost control and slammed into the side of a parked pick-up and left a sizable dent in the side. He was a bit dazed as the cop started running towards him. He recovered his "senses" and started kicking the motorcycle trying to restart it. He got it up and going and pulled away within inches of the cop grabbing him. His front wheel was a bit wobbly but he made his escape.

I must be lacking meaningful entertainment.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 15, 2009, 8:59 pm

In the final analysis, the fact that someone is not wearing a helmet is hardly justification for the BiB to put lives at (further) risk in an attempt to extract their corrupt tea money.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 15, 2009, 9:41 pm

Not wearing a helmet is a crime. So is evading police. [-X

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 15, 2009, 9:51 pm

So is spitting in the street in some countries, as is corruptly receiving money.

But lets not quibble about the difference between a summary offense against the Traffic Code, and an offense under the Criminal Code.

Not that I asked the question in my post, but please feel free Tex to tell us if you believe it is reasonable for the police to put (in this case, 2) lives at risk because someone was not wearing a helmet.

There is nothing in the OP to indicate they were suspected of fleeing from a bank robbery.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 15, 2009, 10:07 pm

True, some, including me, are skeptical that the moto ladies are not quite as innocent as the OP suggests.
If they were trying to do a runner on the cop, I personally have no problem with him reaching out and snatching one. It's this lack of respect for any law (including traffic laws) that we all moan about. I say well done to the cop for catching the law-breakers. Now if the cops would only surrender the fine into the appropriate account.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 15, 2009, 10:21 pm

A reasonable reply Tex.

But I would postulate that far more of us moan about the lack of respect for the law by the cops, than by the occasional helmet-less motorbike rider.

And their far greater cost to the community.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » December 16, 2009, 11:39 am

Failing to obey a policeman's instructions will usually get an unfriendly response in any country. In the US it can get you arrested, and if you resist that arrest you will be forceably detained.

I see no difference in people trying to evade a police stop. If you are instructed to stop and fail to do so, the police are justified in using the force necessary to stop you. This seems a reasonable response in any country. In the US the police have no pursuit rules if it endangers the general public, but not if it only endangers the culprit. The culprit has already stepped outside the law and there are consquences for doing so.

The stupidity to do it on a motorcycle is not the policeman's choosing, it is the fool driving the motorcycle. From what I've seen of motorcyclists here, judgement is not high on their list of abilities. But I think it's unfair to suggest that the policeman has put their lives in danger. They chose that danger when they failed to stop.

Whether the stop is a legitimate or corrupt stop is not something the motorcyclists will know until they stop. In fact, most drivers prefer the corrupt solution to the stop because then there are no points against their license. If they insist on paying the higher amount and getting the official receipt they lose points.

In my car I have always paid the tea money rather than insisting on the official payment. 100 baht vs 400 baht and points. Also the official process usually takes longer. I have observed numerous locations where the riders had no choice, all the fines were official. A table with receipt books was set up and everyone had to go there to pay the fine and then come back and get their M/C.

Tea money goes into the cop's pocket. Official fines are split 50/50 among the officers and the police department, according to my wife.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 16, 2009, 11:55 am

I have no problem generally with what you are saying Expat, except to the extent that the response of the police ought to be proportionate to the "crime".

And I would suggest that pushing someone off a moving motorcycle, for failing to wear a helmet (which 10 minutes later the copper would probably ignore if the "daily sting" was over) lacks that proportion.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 16, 2009, 1:01 pm

jackspratt wrote:I have no problem generally with what you are saying Expat, except to the extent that the response of the police ought to be proportionate to the "crime".

And I would suggest that pushing someone off a moving motorcycle, for failing to wear a helmet (which 10 minutes later the copper would probably ignore if the "daily sting" was over) lacks that proportion.
I would think at that stage the "crime" has gone from 'not wearing a helmet" to refusing to obey a lawful instruction by a police officer tp stop. :-k

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 16, 2009, 1:38 pm

Another example of disrespect,generally speaking,well earned IMO!Combined with a desire to not pay or be ''inconvenienced'' by perceived inconsistent,hypocritical or fair enforcement for legit reasons!
I think most of the people realize that the intent or motive for the police action,is to create income,not correct unlawful acts!In a sense,it is like a game for many, and they take evasive action,if possible.

It damn sure doesn't warrant officers pulling people off of moving vehicles!But the human psychic doesn't always react properly on both side of the coin :roll:

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » December 16, 2009, 1:53 pm

In Canada if you tried to run from the police they would run you off the road and if they thought you were a serious threat you could be shot. It happens. Whether the police in Thailand are stopping people for cash or to uphold the law if no one stops and no price is paid it just creates more bad drivers and danger for everyone. Personally when I see the way a lot of people drive here and run from the police and consequences I have little compassion for them.

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » December 16, 2009, 2:26 pm

Firstly there must have been a (or more) breach(es) of regulations, not necessarily crimes. Although Jack is mentioning not wearing a helmet I cannot find that in the OP, so it might be something else, or more than one thing.

Secondly a major breach of regulations is disobeying a stop order by a police officer. As stated in many western countries one would be in severe trouble, not rarely ending in injuries or worse.

Now this moto lady took all the risks for herself and her passenger and cannot complain about the result of fleeing for the police. Lack of respect for an official service like the police is wrong and bad for any democracy.

The fact that police officers take tea money is a general issue in poor countries where they are not paid very well.
It doesn't harm the offender as it is a cheaper and faster "punishment" than the official version, it doesn't bother me at all when it happens, I always think how much the same offense would have cost me in my country of origin.
Very large sums of tea money were collected in a US state where officers ceased money they found in several offender's cars and never returned it but instead transferred it to officer bank accounts.... how you mean TIT? :D

Not wearing a helmet is a crime IMO, I agree with Texpat, I once passed an accident site near Nong Han, two people (a couple) lost control of the MB and fell on the road (this is the highway Udon-Sakhon), they were ran over by a pick up and their brains were displayed on the pavement as both didn't wear a helmet! Of course one could say they punished themselves but what about the guy who ran them over with his pick up? He was in shock and totally innocent to the accident.

Joe

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » December 16, 2009, 2:36 pm

SanukJoe wrote:... they were ran over by a pick up and their brains were displayed on the pavement as both didn't wear a helmet! ...
Joe
I agree with you, but I do wonder if a helmet would have saved them in this case.

hey you
udonmap.com

Post by hey you » December 16, 2009, 9:07 pm

today i sat behind the wife as she was again pulled up for a document check . have any of you ever seen the police do a stop and check in the same manner but this time it is only the motorists who get stopped. ??

Return to “Udon Thani News”