Udon Thani news, views and comments
bumper
udonmap.com

Four bombs disarmed in Udon Thani

Post by bumper » June 24, 2010, 11:39 am

Source TAN News

Authorities Defuse 4 Bombs in Udon Thani
UPDATE : 24 June 2010
Authorities were able to defuse four bombs planted at a phone booth in Udon Thani province. They believe that, with the size of the bombs, the perpetrators aimed to cause widespread damage.

So far I haven't seen anything else on this.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Re: Four bombs disarmed in Udon

Post by BangkokButcher » June 24, 2010, 12:30 pm

I see what you mean Ray, not much of an update on TAN Network yet, this looks to be the only source that it is listed on right now:

http://www.tannetwork.tv/tan/ViewData.a ... ID=1031229

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 24, 2010, 1:20 pm

Wife was watching the Thai news said it was mentioned there a well. On ring Road in the vicinity of the Khan Kean Hwy.

I assume if it is legitimate we will hear about tonight on the local news.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » June 24, 2010, 1:33 pm

Wonder why 4 bombs at one phone booth? :roll:

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » June 24, 2010, 1:57 pm

One bomb, four pieces.
Bomb found in Udon Thani
Published: 24/06/2010 at 12:33 PM
Online news: Breakingnews

Police in the northeastern province of Udon Thani destroyed a home-made bomb which was found at a public telephone booth in Muang district on Thursday morning.

The bomb, four PVC pipes stuffed with TNT, was found by a motorcycle taxi driver in a cream-brown cloth bag left inside the telephone booth at the mouth of a road to Ban Chan Tambon Municipality near Prajaksilpakhom School on Mitrapap road in Muang district.

A joss stick has been lit with the apparent intention to burn down and light the fuse and set off the explosive, but it stopped burning and the bomb did not explode.

The motorcyclist reported the bomb. Police from the Border Patrol Police Division 24 were rushed to the scene and the device was later destroyed.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... udon-thani

bumper
udonmap.com

Re: Four bombs disarmed in Udon Thani

Post by bumper » June 24, 2010, 2:59 pm

Sad to see that.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 25, 2010, 1:24 am

Unfortunately I knew this would be happening after the government dealt with the red shirt problem the way they did. Another bomb was set to blow up some government people recently but only injured one person. I am truly afraid this will go on for a long time, similar to the problems in the south. When you have so many people feeling very strongly about something you have to listen to them and work things out, I know it is not easy to do but using force will only create more force. As well we as farangs can be unintentional victims of these things because unlike the protests being centered in one place you just don't know where the next bomb or assasination attempt will occur. These events will also greatly deter tourists from Thailand.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » June 25, 2010, 2:07 am

pipes will do some damage,but not anything huge

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » June 25, 2010, 8:30 am

One bomb,reported as 4 bombs :roll:

I would agree that if this type of behavior was to escalate,with multiple deaths or incidents ''around'' the country,the tourist flow would dissipate to a trickle,just like down South!

But ,I doubt an occassional localized incident,will deter sexpats and main city foreign tourists from coming to Thailand.An all out civil war or mulitple terrorist activities all over the country,especially in tourist areas,or a targeting of foreigners with those acts,would definitely eliminate most foreign travelers!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 25, 2010, 8:52 am

How handy for the govt. Now they have an excuse to continue the State of Emergency. Here in Udon anyway . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » June 25, 2010, 10:03 am

I saw a picture of the device on TV last night it was big about the size of basket ball. Depending on what was inside, it could have done significant damage. They said TNT. But lets face it folks this people build home made rockets all the time. If that mixture was in it, I doubt it would have been as powerful.

We originally heard it was on Ring Road. It wasn't I recognized the area it was by a school, best guess the university. That is bothersome. Based from what I could get from the story the idea was this to go off when there was not people around.

You know it doesn't matter who did it the effect is the same. Just pay more attention to what is around you, this was big and just sitting there. It would have looked out of place.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 25, 2010, 5:18 pm

This may (or may not) help the situation:
Red Shirts arrested over bomb blast

Thai police have arrested two anti-government Red Shirt activists who they accuse of planting a crude bomb outside a political party office earlier this week.

Police say the two men have confessed to being involved in the bombing.

The crude bomb, made from explosives and fuel, injured a fruit-seller who claims he was paid to push his fruit cart to the front of the coalition Bhumjaithai Party's headquarters..............
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... ion=justin

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 25, 2010, 6:40 pm

bumper wrote:
You know it doesn't matter who did it the effect is the same. Just pay more attention to what is around you, this was big and just sitting there. It would have looked out of place.
Apparently on Udon radio they are saying the guy who reported it , actually saw it there the previous night and only reported it the following morning when he saw it still there . :-" TIT Surprised he didn't take it home . :lol:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Return to “Udon Thani News”