House Robbery in Nonghan District

Udon Thani news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 2, 2012, 9:13 pm

A safe was stolen from the home of a foreigner in T. NongMek, Nonghan, in the early morning hours of 1 Nov.
The 45 year old owner of the home told police that she and her husband were sleeping in separate rooms when she heard a noise at the back door at 2AM.
When she got out of bed in the early morning, she found the door had been tampered with. She said that a safe that was on a shelf under the TV had been removed.
When police arrived, they found the safe in a banana groove about 50 meters from the home. The safe had been forced open and was emptied of its contents. Three one-baht bracelets, a diamond ring and 2 gold rings along with 20,000 baht in cash were missing.
Police are investigating, but believe two young troublemakers in the village may be responsible.

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonlin ... &subcatid=

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 3, 2012, 6:17 am

Wasn't a very big safe then , more a secure metal box, seems rather ridiculous really. Why put so much faith in a metal box which can be easily moved.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 3, 2012, 12:23 pm

From the details given it seems to have been a burglary, not a robbery.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » November 3, 2012, 1:27 pm

Hi,
I bought a good safe. When i said to my wife i was going to get it screwed to the floor she said no need it will take 3 people to move it, I dont think Thais have heard of sack trucks, or the three wheel ones, that will go up and down steps with little effort.
If getting a safe make sure it is fireproof, is capable of being attached to the floor or wall, and has a double locking system. ie Key and combination say. Some safes i have seen in houses could be broken into by a child. The good ones are not that expensive, and are worth paying the extra for. Think of what your valuables are worth. Plus your important papers, and the hassle of renewing them in LOS.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » November 3, 2012, 7:53 pm

Despite the small inconvenience all banks here in UT offer safety deposit boxes at very inexpensive rates. I believe Kasikorn Bank will provide one free or at a very reduced cost to savings account holders. Valuables (gold etc) & important documents are best stored in their safe as opposed to one in your home. I would be willing to bet a thief would not think twice about putting a gun or knife to your head to force you to open the safe in your home.

JMHO
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Dr. James
udonmap.com

Post by Dr. James » November 3, 2012, 9:05 pm

I agree that safety deposit box at the bank is the best option but I have looked for three years and have yet to find a bank that had one available.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » November 3, 2012, 9:50 pm

I would talk with the bank people at the major banks in town to ask about availability which changes from time to time. Maybe they could add you to a waiting list if such a thing exists. I would suggest you stick with the main offices for these banks which are mainly on Prajak & Posri roads when asking about safety deposit boxes..
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 4, 2012, 6:58 pm

Similar incident happened in First homes on the same night between 0300 and 0530. My thoughts this much more serious then a safe. This individual is entering peoples homes when he knows they are people there. The one in First homes, entry was made at the rear of the house middle room. The daughters room. Fortunately she was sleeping in her parents room.

He actually knocked a small hole by the lock of the window and opened the locked window and crawled in. Never saw that before. You could even see how measured and marked where to put the hole.

The occupants were grateful no one was hurt in the incident.

Per the Police there were three such incidents in this general area, not just First homes.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 4, 2012, 7:44 pm

Thanks for that heads up, bumper! According to the news article, the owner's wallet and computer were not stolen, but their Mitsubishi 4 door pick up was.

The article said that in October, 4 trucks were similarly stolen, 2 Toyota and 2 Mitsubishi, all 4 door. All had insurance. The article said that the thieves are targeting subdivisions, and only homes of foreigners who have auto theft insurance....leading police to believe that ??the vehicles have invoices from neighboring countries?? (เป็นรถที่มีใบสั่งมาจากประเทศเพื่อนบ้าน) Note: I put that last part in ?? because I can't figure out what would lead the reporter to say such a thing. I think I have the translation correct......it just doesn't equate.
http://breakingnews.nationchannel.com/h ... sid=656666

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 17, 2012, 8:48 pm

The article at http://www.thairath.co.th/content/region/306826 announces the arrest of the thief who stole the vehicle from First Home a few weeks ago. Police caught the 24 year old resident of Sam Prao with the vehicle, a loaded weapon, and 60 amphetamine tablets.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » November 18, 2012, 8:32 am

Hi,
Seen a lot of houses without metal security grills on the windows and glass doors, a must IMO. Cheap and easy to fit. Make sure you fit them with security screws so you can not unscrew them with a slotted or crosshead screwdriver. I got my last lot, of screws, from Farnell, i believe they have a outlet in LOS. and plenty of types to choose from. Make sure you get the tool to install them.
It is a hard job to stop a pro. from getting in, but it will deter a lot of people.
My best security system is the Rot. Even the mailman will not come near the fence, if no one is in he just comes back the next day,
I believe a lot of breakins are through the roof, the easiest way for a single story house, remove a few tiles, cut the insulation and your in. They are doing this in the daytime, and when they know people are out. If they are approached by people they say they are repairing the roof.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 18, 2012, 2:33 pm

Anything that makes it harder form them to hit your house, is a good idea. Working from memory seems like only farrang houses hit. All in the same night, four door pickups taken. Note the gun found in the pickup recovered. Makes me wonder if he had that on him when he went into these peoples homes while they were sleeping.

If my memory serves properly seem like they knew in advance which houses they would hit.

Dogs do seem to help, Rot would scare me, I know they can be poisoned. But tryi8ng is better then finding some idiot in your house at nihgt.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 18, 2012, 5:09 pm

if you were going to do a burg, were perhaps high on P, and there was a chance of being caught and spending time in a thai prison, and your had a handgun in your possession, would you take it on the job..of course you would.

Dr. James
udonmap.com

Post by Dr. James » November 18, 2012, 11:18 pm

Our house was broken into (PK5) about ten days ago. They cut the wires to the video cameras and took the recorder for the security system among the other things when they left. Did not get much but definitely shook up the wife. She has decided that it is time to relocate to a safer location, one that has security at the front entrance, high walls, security screens and such. I was able to persuade her not to go out and purchase a firearm. Since she has never even held a gun, I feared more for my own well-being and that of my hound than I did for an intruder!!!!! This time when I install a security system it will have a very loud siren alarm hooked up.

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » November 19, 2012, 12:45 am

very poor security ,when you lay your floor slab you leave a small pit into which you cement your safe with a hatch over it .
passive infra red around the windows areas .
screacher alarm to scare them off when they get thru windows.

sounds like there is a good business to be had with proper security systems design and install

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » November 19, 2012, 3:37 am

Just had some home security upgrades performed by Security SA, one of the sponsors for this site. Very professional and reactive with our requirements.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » November 19, 2012, 4:29 am

This conversation reminds me of something I posted a couple years ago, when we stopped to meet the owner of a beautiful new 2 storey house on about two rai of gardens surrounded by rice fields but not far from the ring road. We wanted to ask about her experience building it etc. After about an hour of chit chat between my wife and the lady, I asked a single question "do you feel safe?"

And she replied "I want to get a gun."

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » November 19, 2012, 8:33 am

Hi,
When installing a ser. system get a wireless one and intall it high as poss. Where you put the recorder must be somewhere safe, like the space between the roof and ceiling. Ther are power cables there also.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 19, 2012, 11:36 am

Moving isn't the answer that's for sure. Secura tech Alarm has an office here just across from TJ's But, they do spend a lot of time working elsewhere. Last I heard they will be back in Udon sometime in the next two weeks

Phone number 042-348007

Probably the same place a mentioned before

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 19, 2012, 12:13 pm

Sorry guys bad number

Return to “Udon Thani News”