Can I get back in?

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
Brouwer17

Can I get back in?

Post by Brouwer17 » January 8, 2017, 9:58 pm

Hello all, I'm new here and I found this forum when I was looking for hotel information. I checked several topics but as it's my first time in this area I might have overlooked the answer to my question (or I'm simply not so smart). Question is: I arrived by plane at BKK, and being Dutch I don't need a pre-arranged visa as long as I stay 30 days or less, just a stamp in my passport. After 17 days I would like to 'hop over' for 3 days to Vientiane via the Nong Khai bridge. Is that possible with my type of visa? In total I'll be in Thailand for 25 days. If I can't go to Laos, no big deal, I'll stay in Isaan, but I certainly don't want any trouble. Can anyone of you here answer my question? And sorry again if it was stated somewhere already.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Re: Can I get back in?

Post by ting_tong » January 8, 2017, 10:15 pm

should be no problem, when you return back into thailand from Laos, they would give you another stamp for 15 days for an over land crossing

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » January 8, 2017, 10:35 pm

No worries. Gaan met die banaan. :D
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 9, 2017, 8:03 am

Brouwer17 wrote:Hello all, I'm new here and I found this forum when I was looking for hotel information. I checked several topics but as it's my first time in this area I might have overlooked the answer to my question (or I'm simply not so smart). Question is: I arrived by plane at BKK, and being Dutch I don't need a pre-arranged visa as long as I stay 30 days or less, just a stamp in my passport. After 17 days I would like to 'hop over' for 3 days to Vientiane via the Nong Khai bridge. Is that possible with my type of visa? In total I'll be in Thailand for 25 days. If I can't go to Laos, no big deal, I'll stay in Isaan, but I certainly don't want any trouble. Can anyone of you here answer my question? And sorry again if it was stated somewhere already.
A couple of points. First you don't have a visa, you have a visa exempt entry. Second if you only want to stay less than another 30 days you will get another visa exempt stamp for 30 days when you come back. Third if you want to stay longer at the moment you can get a free tourist visa in Vientiane, it takes 2 working days.

The 30 day stamp (for non G7 it's usually 15 days) and free tourist visas are a temporary thing, I'm not sure if the end date has been announced.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 9, 2017, 8:14 am

Department of consular affairs, 10 february 2016
18 พ.ย. 2558 13:14:11 / อัพเดต : 11 ก.พ. 2559 17:24:12 / เรียกดู 83,506 ครั้ง

Visa Rules
31st December 2016, info is up to date.
starting 01.01.2017
Tourist arriving via an international airport will be given a 30 day visa exempt stamp, however people using OUT/IN method to extend their stay might be questioned after 6 visa exempt entries. There is no specific period given and there is no rule on how many visa exempt will be issued for one person. An old rule “90 days in a 180 days period” has been cancelled many years ago. As of 31st December 2016 Thailand limit visa exempt entries at land border to TWO per calendar year, but all countries under visa exempt get 30 days, no more 15 days.

All Countries which get 30 days at Airport and TWO times 30 day stamp at land border: Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Brunei, Belgium, Canada, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia(unlimited), Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, New Zealand, Oman, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Slovak, Slovenia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, UAE, United Kingdom and USA.
as info... ;)

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 9, 2017, 10:43 am

Dont forget the $32 ? USD charge for your Lao visa

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » January 9, 2017, 11:08 am

wazza wrote:Dont forget the $32 ? USD charge for your Lao visa
32 $ ?? It's 35 $ For Me ??? :shock: :shock:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 9, 2017, 11:21 am

It is not a standard charge for all passport holders.
Australians pay less as their money funded the bridge.
For some reason Canadians pay considerably more than anyone else.. :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 9, 2017, 11:43 am

It was one of the most expensive bridges ever built .

Massive budget overuns to accomodate various self interest groups on both sides of the river.

Eg funding the Thai / Lao railway cooperation committee as the bridge was going to have a rail track .

Oh wait Lao didnt have a railway then. But it didnt stop the quazi meetings and associated payments to the committee members.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » January 9, 2017, 3:17 pm

Ya Canadians pay the most along with some third world nations. Disgraceful considering Canada still gives them foreign aid.

Brouwer17

Post by Brouwer17 » January 9, 2017, 8:34 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. I had read about the entrance over land, I wasn't sure about the combination of getting in by air and over land, hence my question. If that wasn't worded clearly, then blame it on me being an ESL speaker. :-). (That's always a lousy but good working excuse. LOL)

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » January 10, 2017, 9:53 pm

You will have no problem as long as you only do 2 land border crossings (out and in counts as one). Looks like you only intend one so do not worry.

Brouwer17

Post by Brouwer17 » January 11, 2017, 3:38 pm

Today I met a British man in Nongbua Lamphu who said he had to wait 4 (!) days in Laos for his Thai visa. He doesn't live here, he's just visiting like me. Are rules different for Brits than for Dutch? (Brexit maybe?) If that would happen to me I'd be in huge problems because I would miss my flight back home. And I'm sure my employer wouldn't like that, nor would my Visa card as I then likely need to buy a new ticket.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 12, 2017, 8:05 am

He could have been telling the truth - but not the whole truth. :D

The visa process is a two day affair.
You go before 12 noon day 1 to apply & pay for the visa.
You go back day 2 after 1pm to pick up your passport.
The Embassy only work Monday to Friday.

So, if you apply on a Friday then you cannot get until a Monday - so a 4 day affair.
It does not matter what nationality you are, might matter how much common sense you have though!! :D

I did think that you were just going to get a visa exemption though. No need to visit the Embassy at all for that, it is granted instantaneously by the Immigration Officer stamping you back into Thailand from Laos..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 12, 2017, 9:32 am

If you are now planning on getting a Tourist visa in Vientiane then you need to be aware of this...

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/l ... 43390.html

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”