Transfer old to new passport

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » March 28, 2018, 7:21 pm

Does anyone know if there is a time limit to transfer all the stamps and whatever from old to new PP? Could you wait for yearly extension and do then and if so, how would the 90-day roll call be handled if it fell between? I have three months before yearly retirement extension with the 90-day roll call in less than two months.

Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Re: Transfer old to new passport

Post by Mosquito » March 28, 2018, 7:30 pm

just did my retiree visa renewal, for the past 5 years have had to present my old and current passport.

this time i asked to have my old stamp/visa transferred to my new passport, 500 baht paid..... good to go.

will still keep my old passport for my next renewal, just in case.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 28, 2018, 7:41 pm

Mosquito wrote:
March 28, 2018, 7:30 pm
just did my retiree visa renewal, for the past 5 years have had to present my old and current passport.

this time i asked to have my old stamp/visa transferred to my new passport, 500 baht paid..... good to go.

On applying for a new passport yesterday I understood from the clerk that upon collecting the new one I would get a letter from them requesting Thai immigration to transfer existing visa's from old to new passports and there isn't a charge for this service. Will let you know when I get it .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 29, 2018, 6:11 am

trubrit wrote:
March 28, 2018, 7:41 pm
...and there isn't a charge for this service.
I suppose nitpicking, I might ask if you meant the letter from the passport place, or the immigration officer asking you for money. The latter, I think. :lol: The passport place has levied a hefty fee already, I feel.
A while back since I had to obtain a new passport, but I don't recall being given a letter. Indeed, I think I would have used it during the subsequent, infamous row at Immigration! :roll:
Because it's one of these tasks that isn't listed officially, the immigration officers will usually attempt to obtain tea money.Rather like all those miscellaneous letters/forms one needs from time to time. The senior officer in the separate office at the rear admitted it was a free service.
Again, up to you to pay or not.
Mosquito may have been pleased to get it sorted, but I'd bet 500 baht, he didn't get a receipt! :-k

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 29, 2018, 6:21 am

Brian Davis wrote:
March 29, 2018, 6:11 am
A while back since I had to obtain a new passport, but I don't recall being given a letter. Indeed, I think I would have used it during the subsequent, infamous row at Immigration! :roll:
Yes, it was 'a thing' for a while.

The Embassy (the time I did it) posted back a receipt document with your passport.
Thai Immigration used to insist that you show this letter as well as your new passport when getting visas transferred.
I think the receipt document was taken as proof that the passport was genuine.. :shock:
A situation that I always found amusing as I would have been quite capable of knocking up the receipt document on a computer in a couple of minutes while passports themselves are rather beyond me.. :D

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » March 29, 2018, 6:55 am

I have the letter and all that, my question was...is there a time limit (say 1 minute, one hour, one day, one week, one month) in which to go to immigration, pay whatever, and have the stuff transferred.
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 29, 2018, 7:03 am

Mosquito wrote:

that's odd, I have changed my passport 3 times and transfer of my old visa never cost anything. although I did have an issue once as immigration refused point blank to change one over, left me with no option but to cross the boarder on my old expired passport and having to go to the thai embassy to get a new visa ,got questioned why I hadn't got it changed over before I entered Laos. embassy was ok about it ,just couldn't figure out why they wouldn't change it. another issue was the Laos side had put my Laos visa in the wrong passport , apparently I had someone else's visa as well . but the embassy was ok about it as the Danish guy who got my visa was right behind me. some strange looks and a bit worrying but they sorted it....until I got back to the boarder and the thai side wanted to know how I got into Laos without a stamp...oh my Buddha . but from what I understand transfer to a new passport does not carry a charge
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 29, 2018, 7:51 am

Tracechain wrote:
March 29, 2018, 6:55 am
I have the letter and all that, my question was...is there a time limit (say 1 minute, one hour, one day, one week, one month) in which to go to immigration, pay whatever, and have the stuff transferred.
As far as I am aware there is no limit - you just have to present both old & new passports whenever you are in a situation that requires you to present it.
I would take both when you have to do your 90 day reporting & take it from there.
I imagine that the old visa will have to be transferred to your new passport before they can stamp the permission to stay in the new passport, but, personally, I would leave it to them to tell you exactly when they want to do that..

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 29, 2018, 8:06 am

BobHelm wrote:
March 29, 2018, 6:21 am

The Embassy (the time I did it) posted back a receipt document with your passport.
Thai Immigration used to insist that you show this letter as well as your new passport when getting visas transferred.
I think the receipt document was taken as proof that the passport was genuine.. :shock:
A situation that I always found amusing as I would have been quite capable of knocking up the receipt document on a computer in a couple of minutes while passports themselves are rather beyond me.. :D
Yes Bob, same situation and exactly sentiments as you.(If i had been able to secure a forged passport, I can't imagine obtaining/producing a fake receipt would prove difficult! :lol: ) One occasion, I was forced to have the Embassy send a further confirmation letter that they had, indeed, issued a new passport to me.
Now, even with the confirmation of income letter from the Embassy, I retain the receipt and the envelope, just in case. Perhaps it's a kind of 'knock on' from forgery concern, that I now see the Embassy has a footnote on its' confirmation letter, which includes "this document should not be taken as to certify this document is binding in law(whether under UK Law or otherwise)."

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 29, 2018, 11:15 am

papafarang wrote:
March 29, 2018, 7:03 am
Mosquito wrote:

that's odd, I have changed my passport 3 times and transfer of my old visa never cost anything. although I did have an issue once as immigration refused point blank to change one over, left me with no option but to cross the boarder on my old expired passport and having to go to the thai embassy to get a new visa ,got questioned why I hadn't got it changed over before I entered Laos. embassy was ok about it ,just couldn't figure out why they wouldn't change it. another issue was the Laos side had put my Laos visa in the wrong passport , apparently I had someone else's visa as well . but the embassy was ok about it as the Danish guy who got my visa was right behind me. some strange looks and a bit worrying but they sorted it....until I got back to the boarder and the thai side wanted to know how I got into Laos without a stamp...oh my Buddha . but from what I understand transfer to a new passport does not carry a charge
left me with no option but to cross the boarder on my old expired passport????? Dean HOW Did you do this ( Get into Laos ) When I Went to Mukdahan last year with my NEW Passport Thai Imm.Transferred my previous Stamp ( Permission to remain from my OLD Passport to my new one,I Was Good to Go,But..........My Wifes Thai Passport had ONLY 5 Months Validity left on hers & Thai Imm.Would'nt even let her OUT of Thailand as they said She would'nt be able to ENTER Laos so made her buy a Border Pass on the Thai Side.....

So If they would'nt let her OUT In her situation,How in Buddahs name did they let You OUT With an OLD Expired Passport & NO Stamps in you're NEW One.....Just Thinking Like !!! :shock: :shock:

BTW.I Had my stamps transferred from OLD to NEW at Mukdahan after giving BOTH Passports & The Letter from Trendy ( Embassy ) For FREE .....By a Very Nice " Boss Lady " BEFORE Crossing into Laos....

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 29, 2018, 11:51 am

747man wrote:
March 29, 2018, 11:15 am
papafarang wrote:
March 29, 2018, 7:03 am
Mosquito wrote:

left me with no option but to cross the boarder on my old expired passport????? Dean HOW Did you do this ( Get into Laos ) When I Went to Mukdahan last year with my NEW Passport Thai Imm.Transferred my previous Stamp ( Permission to remain from my OLD Passport to my new one,I Was Good to Go,But..........My Wifes Thai Passport had ONLY 5 Months Validity left on hers & Thai Imm.Would'nt even let her OUT of Thailand as they said She would'nt be able to ENTER Laos so made her buy a Border Pass on the Thai Side.....

So If they would'nt let her OUT In her situation,How in Buddahs name did they let You OUT With an OLD Expired Passport & NO Stamps in you're NEW One.....Just Thinking Like !!! :shock: :shock:

BTW.I Had my stamps transferred from OLD to NEW at Mukdahan after giving BOTH Passports & The Letter from Trendy ( Embassy ) For FREE .....By a Very Nice " Boss Lady " BEFORE Crossing into Laos....
a bit of a freak out , there was two of us , a Danish guy and me . both had new passports and needed them changing , this was at mukdahan, the woman in charge there just simply refused to do it and told both of us to just use the old one. anyway to top it off when we met at the consulate in laos it turned out they switched our laos visas , anyway got sorted in the end
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

dianecad
udonmap.com

Post by dianecad » March 29, 2018, 12:43 pm

sorry, to butt into this conversation but don,t you mean savannakhet in laos as mukdahan is in thailand.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 29, 2018, 12:54 pm

dianecad wrote:
March 29, 2018, 12:43 pm
sorry, to butt into this conversation but don,t you mean savannakhet in laos as mukdahan is in thailand.
yes mukdahan wouldn't transfer, savanakhet accepted my old passport, the issue was in mukdahan

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 29, 2018, 3:02 pm

papafarang wrote:
March 29, 2018, 12:54 pm
dianecad wrote:
March 29, 2018, 12:43 pm
yes mukdahan wouldn't transfer, savanakhet accepted my old passport, the issue was in mukdahan
Ahhh !! So you obviously never saw the " Boss Woman " at Mukdahan.....She was Lovely & Could'nt help me enough.... :-" :-" :-"

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » June 16, 2021, 9:54 am

Paid 500 baht at end of transfer process from old to new.

The fee was requested openly, so I certainly didn't want to make a fuss about it. Involved a lot of careful stamping and detailed writing by the staff, abut 30 minutes worth, so fair enough 500 for the service.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 16, 2021, 10:04 am

careful stamping and detailed writing by the staff, abut 30 minutes worth
Is like a nearly bald man going in for a haircut. Two hours later, after miniscule clipping and fussing and fawning, there's almost no hair on the floor. But ... it was worth every satang of the 2,000 baht fee.

Nope. It's a fee-less service and any request for payment for that service is corruption.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 16, 2021, 10:05 am

While I can understand your reluctance to make a fuss, all that stamping and writing is what they are receiving a salary for.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » June 16, 2021, 11:52 am

Post is so others are prepared. Solution might be to say "oh I thought it is free so left my wallet in the car" and then see if it is insisted upon.

Or would Jack and Giggles recommend every foreigner calmly state, with all uniformed ears in the room listening... "it's free, what you ask is corruption!". Please do keep us informed when anyone crosses that bridge.

Sometimes when you win, you lose. Meanwhile I grin and bear it. See ya in ten more years for my next transfer.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 16, 2021, 12:30 pm

Given that a for example a British passport lasts 10 yrs the 500 bt ""charge"" right or wrong equates to approx 4bt per month , 1 bt per week , 0.399 bt per day or for the experienced 6.5% of a can of Archa :lol: .. so i think most would say hey ho its not worth really worrying about unless possibly you are a native of Scotland... or drink Lots of Archa :lol: :-#

Just factor it in as part of the cost of getting a new passport.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 16, 2021, 12:52 pm

rct wrote:
June 16, 2021, 11:52 am

Or would Jack ........ recommend every foreigner calmly state, with all uniformed ears in the room listening... "it's free, what you ask is corruption!". Please do keep us informed when anyone crosses that bridge.
I did not, and do not, recommend anything.

I merely stated a fact.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”