Visa Extension

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Visa Extension

Post by tamada » July 16, 2020, 5:51 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 16, 2020, 5:44 pm
Niggly wrote:
July 16, 2020, 3:21 pm
Udon Immo didn't take my dutifully prepared copies. I handed them over with the originals but she just left them on her desk & went to make her own copies for some reason. I was handed them back with the originals at the end of the session. Couldn't get any sense out of her why this happened.
Which counter?

When I went in I had 2 sets and virtually all were used by the lady at No.3 she did add a couple of forms and an extra copy of a page from my passport, so maybe 4 extra in total.
Stressed about YMMV post of the day award goes to...

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » July 16, 2020, 6:11 pm

Hi, guys

Does anyone know for sure if 6 month Thai bank book copy needs to be made same day by bank, or does day before work?

Thanks...

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 16, 2020, 6:17 pm

docta wrote:
July 16, 2020, 6:11 pm
Hi, guys

Does anyone know for sure if 6 month Thai bank book copy needs to be made same day by bank, or does day before work?

Thanks...
Day before worked for me last time, but everytime is different if u can best just to make on the day then no issues

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2020, 6:34 pm

Which counter?

When I went in I had 2 sets and virtually all were used by the lady at No.3 she did add a couple of forms and an extra copy of a page from my passport, so maybe 4 extra in total.
No idea, wasn’t really paying much attention. Possibly second from the right?
Probably doesn’t make any difference as they all treat everyone differently even the same people before & after lunch
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2020, 6:39 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 16, 2020, 4:16 pm
I guess I will find out tomorrow - several trees have died in the hope of getting me another 12 months in the LOS.

In the meantime
Witness, there’s a good point. I duly provided a witness at Immo & all details were taken & recorded.
We then got a call on the morning of the house visit to say they wanted to see a different witness. Mrs N rallied a suspect who duly sat at our kitchen table to be interviewed for most of the visit. Again I couldn’t get any sense from anybody why this was needed

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 16, 2020, 6:49 pm

Why it was needed, Beacause it was needed! There is no reason
Why do they have a ball of twine in the USA that is massive, because they do, Why is there a man sitting at airports in Chad and Algeria whos only job is unlock the glass door leading tot he tarmac, just because .and that is the way to survive in LOS, its just because

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2020, 6:52 pm

Yes, I didn’t really try getting much sense because it is what it is. Just do what they say & relax

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2020, 6:57 pm

tamada wrote:
July 16, 2020, 5:51 pm
Niggly wrote:
Udon Immo didn't take my dutifully prepared copies. I handed them over with the originals but she just left them on her desk & went to make her own copies for some reason. I was handed them back with the originals at the end of the session. Couldn't get any sense out of her why this happened.
Which counter?

& the award for no contribution to the thread for postings sake goes to

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 16, 2020, 7:02 pm

Niggly wrote:
July 16, 2020, 6:57 pm
tamada wrote:
July 16, 2020, 5:51 pm
Niggly wrote:
Which counter?

& the award for no contribution to the thread for postings sake goes to
Hey! Niggled! Thus thread ain't long enough for two threadfvckers.

Who really cares who managed to take their own wasted, pre-printed paper back home?

Apart from Niggly I mean?

YMMV

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2020, 7:09 pm

tamada wrote:
July 16, 2020, 7:02 pm

Hey! Niggled! Thus thread ain't long enough for two threadfvckers.

Who really cares who managed to take their own wasted, pre-printed paper back home?

Apart from Niggly I mean?

YMMV
****, that was easier than I thought. Carry on 😂

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » July 16, 2020, 7:32 pm

Niggly wrote:
July 16, 2020, 6:39 pm
jackspratt wrote:
July 16, 2020, 4:16 pm
I guess I will find out tomorrow - several trees have died in the hope of getting me another 12 months in the LOS.

In the meantime
Witness, there’s a good point. I duly provided a witness at Immo & all details were taken & recorded.
We then got a call on the morning of the house visit to say they wanted to see a different witness. Mrs N rallied a suspect who duly sat at our kitchen table to be interviewed for most of the visit. Again I couldn’t get any sense from anybody why this was needed
If have been living in Thailand, should have at least two friends here. Not too much asked. Usually wife has more. As I know, usually Immigration wants to interview people nearby or village headman. Just to confirm that hey know couple to be living there. =D> We have our daughter living opposite of us. Most only rice fields and buffaloes. Luckily we have one relative living in the house next to us. We used to have the 4th house nearby owned by us, but now we have sold that and there is a family who is not relative to us.

But why a witness should be different? There has been some cases that witness has been paid to tell his/her story and not truth. Because of that there is a change that Immigration check witness again. Just like years ago they did not ask Kor Ror2, but after someone noticed that Khao San Road shops make Marriage Certificates Immigration started to want also KR2.

Every time when someone finds out a loophole in the system and Immigration finds that out, we honest people get all the problems to collect all needed documents.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 16, 2020, 7:51 pm

Hallelujah eagle - you are right on the money (about loopholes). And they jump right on to them, as they should - well sorta.

Thai Immo apparently haven't cottoned on to the the fact the biggest loophole is the "agent" system, whereby those who can't, or won't, comply with the "law" (555), are given a free ride - albeit at some expense to their bottomless pockets. And with increased focus on the honest applicants - see above.

But on a more positive note, I have found a witness with impeccable credentials - retired BiB, who is more than happy to travel into Udon tomorrow. He's such a good bloke, that instead of the anticipated request for a few baht for services rendered in travelling to Udon, he bought me 2 Leo yai tonight, after a lotto win. =D>

I will report back later tomorrow about my adventure - transiting from a retirement O-A to a marriage O-A or O. I'm still not sure.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2020, 7:53 pm

Yes, we’ve not actually been “living” in Thailand, let alone the house in this area that was only recently finished to an inhabitable standard. We never stay more than 90 days at a time so never needed an extension before. I decided to apply for an extension this time to avoid the inevitable sh!tstorm brewing with the amnesty..
The second witness was actually some distant relation who’d tracked down Mrs N on Facebook after 20+ years. I’d only met her for the first time 2 weeks prior. Apparently she was acceptable to Immo ;)

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 16, 2020, 7:56 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 16, 2020, 7:51 pm

Thai Immo apparently haven't cottoned on to the the fact the biggest loophole is the "agent" system, whereby those who can't, or won't, comply with the "law" (555), are given a free ride - albeit at some expense to their bottomless pockets. And with increased focus on the honest applicants - see above.

They know and they like it
No work to do and bonuses all round
All those stuffed brown envelopes

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 16, 2020, 8:08 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 16, 2020, 7:51 pm

But on a more positive note, I have found a witness with impeccable credentials - retired BiB, .
Hehe, our first choice of witness for the visit to Immo was a serving BIB I actually know. Our visit was due first thing on a Monday morning so Mrs N primed him the previous Friday to say we’d pick him up nice & early & he needed to iron his shirt & polish his shoes. We got to his house at 07:45 on the Monday morning only to find him still rat ar$ed sleeping off an all weekend Laos Khao & cards bender.
Another witness hastily arranged 😂

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 17, 2020, 12:32 pm

Collected the full extension after the 30 days consideration & registered for the 90 day reporting this morning.
In & out in less than 15 mins 👍

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 17, 2020, 12:40 pm

Sounds good do mine next week

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 17, 2020, 2:52 pm

Today's adventure done and (almost) dusted.

Transitioning from an O-A based on retirement, to marriage.

Based on some good back-channel advice from sfg, who went through the same process a couple of months ago, I went armed with multiple copies of just about every piece of paper and ID I own, plus enough 6 x 4 colour photos to fill a family album.

Some observations - YMMV.

- did the bank letter in Udon (Kasikorn), after getting stuffed around yesterday at the BD branch. More on that below.

- Immo was pretty much empty (9.15am), so sat down for a minute or 2, and then got called up by whom I presume is the infamous Captain at the far desk. He seems to be triaging the place, had a quick scan - maybe 5 minutes - through my docs (during which he was a bit curt in insisting I remove all papers etc from their various covers and hand them to him).

- wasn't happy with the bank stuff, and sent Ms Spratt back to the bank to get the passbook updated (which the bank said earlier they had done). She came back with a further bank document, which also showed the required sum had been in the account for the required time. More below.

- he was also not happy with the map, which I had to re-draw in freehand. It was very basic, but I get the impression they want you to demonstrate to them that you actually know where you say you are living.

- papers handed over to the young lady IO in the next booth, and the fine-tooth comb and signature explosion commenced.

- wife sent back again to the bank again, and had to deposit TBH1000 into the account (which is a term deposit :shock: ) before Kasikorn would actually update the passbook. Said I would need to do the same again next year.

- handed over a copy bundle of papers and photos, and more signatures ensued. Everything nicely assembled by the IO, and then some questions for the Mrs, and the "witness".

- photo taken, TBH2,000 fee handed over as requested, passport handed back with the regulation "Under Consideration" stamp, and told to come back in a month. Also told not to wander too far from the family mansion, as we could expect a phone call and visit.

- took the opportunity to do my 90 day on the way out the door (it was a pleasure doing business with the young assistant :love: ), about 1 hour after I first entered.

Happy to fill in further details as requested - just as I have been helped leading up to today. 👍

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 18, 2020, 4:27 am

Word on the street is the cabinet will likely approve ending the current visa amnesty on July 31 and Thai Immigration will offer normalisation of extensions of stay from August 1 through 26 September.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKCN24I0T8

Senior government figures are doing the usual telegraphing of their intent by making these statements so expect the official cabinet meeting to approve this proposal and publication in the Royal Gazette before the event.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 18, 2020, 6:49 am

ditto...Bangkok Post. Thai Immigration boss states a grace extension period is mooted Aug 1st - 26 Sept...yet to be finally signed off next Tuesday by government, but the framework is outlined.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”