Visa amnesty.

Here is where we will consolidate all information about Thai visas and work permits (as they are closely related to the type and availability of your visa).
udonfox
udonmap.com

Visa amnesty.

Post by udonfox » September 24, 2020, 9:42 am

Can any one confirm if there is a new visa amnesty. Having been to Immigration today for the 2nd.time this week and told to comeback that they were too busy. That was today at 8.30 am. Monday I was told they were waiting instruction. According to Phuket immigtation there is another visa extension / amnesty. Can anyone confirm this.Thank you.

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: Visa amnesty.

Post by noosard » September 24, 2020, 9:46 am

There is no new amnesty
Phuket is giving a 14 day amnesty extension to sort thru real 30 day or year visa/ extensions
That means you apply for your extension and wait 14 days to find out if it will be given

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 24, 2020, 10:21 am

udonfox wrote:
September 24, 2020, 9:42 am
Can any one confirm if there is a new visa amnesty. Having been to Immigration today for the 2nd.time this week and told to comeback that they were too busy. That was today at 8.30 am. Monday I was told they were waiting instruction. According to Phuket immigtation there is another visa extension / amnesty. Can anyone confirm this.Thank you.
If you need an extension due to Covid-19 restrictions, I can't see why they are telling you to come back later. If you haven't got an extension before 16:30 tomorrow, you probably need to be looking for a flight out.

If you are trying to file a regular extension early, then it makes sense to leave it to next week.

But there's definitely NO amnesty extension.

Phuket have said they will stay open this Saturday to help clear their backlog and I think Jomtien (Pattaya) has set up a temporary additional office but no word if Udon will do anything after close of business tomorrow.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » September 24, 2020, 10:34 am

I went to do my extension today and was told they are too busy today or tomorrow and to come back Monday. Even though current extension expires today. The officer said there would be no penalty just a pain to have to do bank letter again, etc. He said they had about 1,000 cases to do. Looked like all Laotians, a lot of them!

FWIW I also tried to do early, a week ago, and was told to come back on the 24th, my expiration date.

I guess the question is, why so busy when all the borders are closed?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 24, 2020, 10:46 am

Borders are not closed to Lao workers
Airports are working if you get permission
Flights out will busy for the next few weeks for those that have to leave

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 24, 2020, 11:20 am

The borders have , the majority of the time been open to workers back to Thailand with work Permits no matter what country one is from.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » September 24, 2020, 12:52 pm

So, all worker’s permit come due at the same time? Still does not explain the crowds.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 24, 2020, 1:00 pm

The end of the amnesty explains the crowds
Too many people hoping for another free month or so
They are/were disappointed and now closing in on panic

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 24, 2020, 4:20 pm

udonfox wrote:
September 24, 2020, 9:42 am
As has been mentioned there is no extension of the amnesty.

Your only chance of getting into immigration tomorrow is to arrive at about 4:30am, though it seems that they are allowing slightly late applications with no penalty. However if you want to get seen on Monday an 8:30 arrival will probably not work either.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 24, 2020, 5:10 pm

While I have sympathy for many, I cannot help but wonder, all those who initially had a a Visa extension and then received the ongoing amnesty, what the hell have they been doing. Hoping that Immigration would continue as before, I feel they made announcements in plenty of time and most of those having to jump through hoops are by their own actions remiss .
Having said that I know of one or two who are really having a hard time to comply with leaving and in one case my hat goes off to one chap. But nevertheless, I have been told it was not rocket science to arrange to leave , but some seemed to throw caution to the wind, hoping for another extension. They forgot to employ the Three Ps. Planning Prevents Problems.

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » September 24, 2020, 5:28 pm

My wiife was told by a Laos man in the queue at immigration this morning, Nong Khai immigration are refusing to see them and telling them to use the Udon office. Hence the crowds and chaos.

Return to “Thailand Visa & Immigration Information”