Labour's new leader

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Labour's new leader

Post by tamada » April 5, 2020, 5:22 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 5, 2020, 5:00 pm
Anyway, out of the shower that were offered up as Labour Leader I think Starmer was probably the best option, I don't like him nor his politics but I absolutely detest the other two and thankfully he's the most likely to guarantee a conservative government for certainly the next couple of elections, I'm not a Conservative by the way but I'm even less Labour Party, despite my upbringing I have nothing in common with them, all they care about is how far up the ladder they can climb, career politicians in the main who don't give two hoots about the genuine working class, just their little middle class momentum buddies.

By the by acquaintance has absolutely nothing to do with it, I became acquainted with lots of people in politics over the years and I still think the vast majority are arseholes. Farage will go down in history as the great politician he is, his time just hasn't come yet.
Thanks for staying on topic... for the first paragraph anyway.

So do you think we'll see a re-invention of a pseudo-Conservative 'new' Labour entity like the one that Blair successfully crafted? He leaned quite heavily on Labour being seen as the antithesis of the flat-capped union man (whippet optional). There's such a polarizing of politics both left and right these days that starves the average middle-ground voter of real choices. They all promise the moon and stars but fail to deliver on much of the basics. I am with you on the career politicians though but it's much more insidious than the MP's in Westminster or Holyrood. You have all these career councilors and mayors as well that don't necessarily have the same idea as what's best for a community, especially if they identify strongly as a Tory council or a Labour Mayor.

Could be a lot worse though, could be a Lib-Dem.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 5, 2020, 5:27 pm

Ah you never fail to disappoint, predictable.

Career councillors and Mayors, you really, really don't know what you're talking about do you? Have you ever seen what a regular Councillor earns? If they don't get a cabinet appointment, that's not a wooden set of cupboards by the way, they get spit!
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 5, 2020, 5:40 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 5, 2020, 5:27 pm
Ah you never fail to disappoint, predictable.

Career councillors and Mayors, you really, really don't know what you're talking about do you? Have you ever seen what a regular Councillor earns? If they don't get a cabinet appointment, that's not a wooden set of cupboards by the way, they get spit!
You mean they do it for the love?

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 5, 2020, 5:48 pm

Yes we do it because we care about where we live and want to change it for the better, perhaps unfashionable but in the main the truth.

Here is a list of councillors payments last year, Trevor Shonk was the career Mayor by the way, give it up and talk about whatever it is you're good at, politics obviously isn't it.

Bayford was the council leader, I bet he had a right jolly up on his salary eh!

Btw when I was a parish councillor I earned the grand total of £0 for three years work.

https://democracy.thanet.gov.uk/documen ... 018-19.pdf
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 5, 2020, 6:28 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 5, 2020, 5:48 pm
Yes we do it because we care about where we live and want to change it for the better, perhaps unfashionable but in the main the truth.

Here is a list of councillors payments last year, Trevor Shonk was the career Mayor by the way, give it up and talk about whatever it is you're good at, politics obviously isn't it.

Btw when I was a parish councillor I earned the grand total of £0 for three years work.

Thanks, very enlightening. I do appear to have you hanging on my every utterance at the moment so please forgive my ignorance. That's 57 Councillors for a population of about 141,800 so 1 Councillor for every 2488 residents. How are they divied up when it comes to their community and social responsibilities? Is there a rule of thumb for amount of Councillor per head of population or is there a formal process if a council feels the need to increase their number?

So if they are relatively underpaid how does that fit with local politics? Do they have to court paid MP's to get funds for their local community or pet projects? Does a council draft a list of their needs and send it for approval? What level of scrutiny and and how high up the tree does a budgetary request go to get approved or signed off or actioned?

When I was a lad, all the local Councillors had Jags and other flash motors despite being owners of the local grocers or running a fishing boat or owning a petrol station. Their houses were grand affairs as well but maybe they were just very successful businessmen. My dad, a career bobby, used to talk about them in less than glowing terms as some tended to have 'ways and means' with the Chief Inspector or the Chief Constable when it came to permits and licenses and other stuff. My dad was an avid golfer, almost turned pro and would see them out on the golf course a lot. It was very much, 'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' sort of agreement. Maybe things have changed and there is more oversight and accountability?

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 5, 2020, 6:31 pm

vincemunday wrote:

I think we can safely say you have won this dispute Vince unless Tamada can prove he has served as a Councillor or similar in UK.

=D> =D> =D> :| :| :| :-$ :-$ :-$

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 5, 2020, 6:34 pm

Back to the regular thread, when are we expecting Starmer to put out some kind of manifesto, does anyone know?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 5, 2020, 6:38 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 5, 2020, 6:34 pm
Back to the regular thread, when are we expecting Starmer to put out some kind of manifesto, does anyone know?
No manifesto just chatter about a Labour Lib Dem merger.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 5, 2020, 6:42 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 5, 2020, 6:38 pm
vincemunday wrote:
April 5, 2020, 6:34 pm
No manifesto just chatter about a Labour Lib Dem merger.
Oh dear, make that 15 years of conservative governments, unless Farage sets up a decent middle ground alternative.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 5, 2020, 7:08 pm

Gentlemen, I've tried to clean up this thread a bit despite my total ignorance of U.K. politics. Please, let's keep the comments to the topic, Labour's New Leader, and not each other.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 5, 2020, 7:08 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 5, 2020, 6:42 pm

Oh dear, make that 15 years of conservative governments, unless Farage sets up a decent middle ground alternative.
Farage ..... middle ground....... :confused:

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 5, 2020, 7:11 pm

An almost predictable response, yes he's middle ground but politics has evolved so that anything right of far left is considered extreme whereas in reality it's Momentum and the likes that are the extremists.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 5, 2020, 7:17 pm

vincemunday wrote:
April 5, 2020, 7:11 pm
An almost predictable response, yes he's middle ground but politics has evolved so that anything right of far left is considered extreme whereas in reality it's Momentum and the likes that are the extremists.
An almost predictable response ...... no, he's not, and has never been middle ground ....... unless that suited him at a particular time. :-"

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 5, 2020, 7:22 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 5, 2020, 7:17 pm
An almost predictable response ...... no, he's not, and has never been middle ground ....... unless that suited him at a particular time. :-"
I'd be interested to see on what you base those comments on, I know him very well and have never heard him say anything that might be deemed as extreme to either the right or left and the use of emojis to enforce your opinion is ... predictable.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 5, 2020, 7:24 pm

But doesn't that rather depend on your definition, or understanding, of "extreme left or right"?

Edit: :-k

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » April 5, 2020, 7:31 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 5, 2020, 7:24 pm
But doesn't that rather depend on your definition, or understanding, of "extreme left or right"?
Of course! Momentum would consider everything he says to be extreme whereas some parties on the right consider his policies to be a bit tame. His thoughts are increasingly popular among the working classes who have abandoned Labour in droves, time will tell but I think he's in line to become a formidable opponent in Westminster, if he so decides to persue that path, in actual fact politics has cost him a marriage, lots of money and it's not been terribly great for his health, he'd have been far better staying as a futures broker in London, thankfully he made the sacrifice.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 5, 2020, 7:55 pm

pal52 wrote:
April 5, 2020, 6:31 pm
vincemunday wrote:

I think we can safely say you have won this dispute Vince unless Tamada can prove he has served as a Councillor or similar in UK.

I can't... but I did spend a night at a Holiday Inn Express.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 5, 2020, 8:04 pm

tamada wrote:
April 5, 2020, 7:55 pm
pal52 wrote:
April 5, 2020, 6:31 pm
vincemunday wrote:

I can't... but I did spend a night at a Holiday Inn Express.
Never expected a different answer.
You will never admit when you are beaten or proven wrong in your posts.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 5, 2020, 8:13 pm

^ Aye... bloody annoying, eh?

Anyway pal, have you an opinion on the future of Labour under Starmer?

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 5, 2020, 8:45 pm

tamada wrote:
April 5, 2020, 8:13 pm
^ Aye... bloody annoying, eh?

Anyway pal, have you an opinion on the future of Labour under Starmer?
Not really Tamada.
There was not much choice to be honest.
I have been a labour voter all my life but the best years I had were under Maggie as far as standard of living goes.
We have Boris who at least has a definite objective to get us out of Europe.

Labour do not really know what the voters want but we did have a Referendum which Boris will see is honored (maybe).

I really do not know what is good or bad at the moment as everything is wrong according to one party or another

Return to “U.K.”