Bristol, England and its slave trading benefactor

GT93
udonmap.com

Bristol, England and its slave trading benefactor

Post by GT93 » June 15, 2020, 2:36 am

Standing beneath an empty stone plinth, from which the statue of the 17th-century slave trader Edward Colston was toppled last week, Richard Saunders showed his son photos of three black Americans who had been killed by the police an ocean away and 200 years after the end of Bristol’s slave trade.
I was pretty surprised to read in The New York Times how much Bristol celebrated its slave trading benefactor Edward Colston:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/14/worl ... avery.html
It is impossible to escape the Colston name in Bristol. There is a street, an avenue and a parade named after him. He has a stained-glass window in St. Mary Redcliffe, an Anglican church. There is even a local sweet bun, with dried currants, called the Colston bun.

“Some people still cling on to the saintly philanthropist idea,” said Cleo Lake, who was the first black lord mayor of Bristol and removed a portrait of Colston from her office. While she said she hoped last week’s events would finally change those shibboleths, she was troubled that the protesters, who pulled down the statue without interference from the police, were mostly white.
Colston is an obvious villain yet he's still celebrated. :( Over to you mech. ;)

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

GT93
udonmap.com

Re: Bristol, England and its slave trading benefactor

Post by GT93 » June 15, 2020, 3:16 am

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » June 15, 2020, 7:03 am

I, like many other English (probably most) had never heard of Edward Colston until his statue was pulled down. Now, knowing the history of how he made his money I wish that his statue had remained in order that people like me and future generations can be educated about people like him and the wickedness of the slave trade.

But the truth must be told that in the 17th century slavery was practized by every country in the word, and had been since pre-biblical times. As civilization gradually came to believe in the injustice of slavery, it was the British who led the way to abolition (1833), and used its Navy to prevent the further transportation of slaves by ships of any nation.

I will not play devil’s advocate on such an emotive subject, but urge that before you post more comments do look-up the figures/estimates of the African slave trade – who sold them, who bought them and how many went to which destinations. Then ask yourselves how this relates to their descendants 2/3/400 years later?

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 15, 2020, 8:45 am

let's not be too disingenuous , 10 min of casual
research reveals your statements at best misleading. ( 15) odd statues of slave traders all
over england . your own national archives documented the various co's formed under royal charter. all raiding the african coast for slave trade

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » June 15, 2020, 5:43 pm

Not trying to make excuses - only now finding out about the other statues. Note they were not erected to celebrate the slave trade but for the prosperity that they brought to the region. Until now most of us Brits didn't know about the origins of the wealth). However, I will disagree to your statement about 'raiding the African coast'. This was completely unnecessary as there were established slave 'factories' where the locals sold the slaves to the traders. This latter point is one that is rarely (if ever) mentioned.

We can only condemn all those concerned, but I do not think that we can blame today's society for the evils of the past hundreds of years. The 'slavery' arguement is hi-jacking the racial discrimination discussion. Unfortunately, there is no free discussion as in Britain anyone who disagrees in any way with the extremists is automatically labled as a racist.

What about the Italian government apologizing for the thousands of slaves shipped from Britain to Rome over a period of three hundred years!?!? Yes, a bit extreme isn't it!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 15, 2020, 5:53 pm

Colston Hall had wonderful acoustics and was a very popular venue for bands on national tours because of that. They've been talking about renaming it for quite a few years but looks like today's the day when it becomes nameless.

It appears it was going to be renamed in 2020 anyway with the public invited to suggest a new name. That competition isn't over yet but I hope the twunts don't go for The BLM Theatre.

Bloody farce anyway.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 15, 2020, 5:58 pm

Slavery is not a racist thing it is the powerful over the weak and helpless
Has been thru out all mankinds history
even today

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 15, 2020, 9:14 pm

Bonanza wrote:
June 15, 2020, 5:43 pm
However, I will disagree to your statement about 'raiding the African coast'. This was completely unnecessary as there were established slave 'factories' where the locals sold the slaves to the traders. This latter point is one that is rarely (if ever) mentioned . . .
i'm going to start calling this " british tabloid syndrome". where you post stuff, blatantly false
and leave it to others to disprove your assertions?

the royal african company , at one time controlled
(9) forts-factories on gold coast(presently ghana)
on west side. later colonized nigeria-sierra leone

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 15, 2020, 9:39 pm

and then we move on to the total colonization of
africa by every existing european nation into pieces all over scrambling for the riches.

this was 1870 ? how can it not be part of our
conversation on this issue? this is where it started

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 16, 2020, 1:00 am

It's extraordinary they were still using this infamous slave trader's name. I don't have a problem with statues and monuments remaining if they have accurate descriptions of what they are. We have statues in NZ celebrating people from 19th century NZ who in modern parlance were war criminals. I doubt it's only Bristol in the UK that has been doing this.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » June 16, 2020, 1:17 am

Interesting lawyer's blog post about how the law was used to facilitate slavery in English history:

https://davidallengreen.com/2020/06/law ... y-slavery/

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 16, 2020, 1:56 am

Yep, the British legal system jumped into bed with slave traders and facilitated slave trading. I expect the Brits took slave trading to an industrialized level.

The bit in the link that hit me most was that when slavery was abolished, "immense" compensation was paid to slave owners. I'd guess though that the British were in the front pack of countries closing down slavery. They can be good on things such as that.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 16, 2020, 5:04 am

yes , it just keeps getting worse the more doors
we open. a veritable horror story of the evil humans are capable of inflicting on each other.

and yet, we have brits, oblivious to their history

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 16, 2020, 6:54 am

mech_401 wrote:
June 15, 2020, 9:14 pm
Bonanza wrote:
However, I will disagree to your statement about 'raiding the African coast'. This was completely unnecessary as there were established slave 'factories' where the locals sold the slaves to the traders. This latter point is one that is rarely (if ever) mentioned . . .
i'm going to start calling this " british tabloid syndrome". where you post stuff, blatantly false

Yes well said, the Foreign countries aka Britain, Holland, Belgium and Spain to name a few , were the transporters a business if you like, and the Despots in Africa, well they were the ones kidnapping, destroying villages to garner people to be sold as slaves. People are NOT complaining to the AFRICAN Nations about their part in this. Basically if there were NO people to transport, nothing would have happened`.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 16, 2020, 8:45 am

Khun Paul wrote:
June 16, 2020, 6:54 am
mech_401 wrote:
June 15, 2020, 9:14 pm
Bonanza wrote:

Yes well said, the Foreign countries aka Britain, Holland, Belgium and Spain to name a few , were the transporters a business if you like, and the Despots in Africa, well they were the ones kidnapping, destroying villages to garner people to be sold as slaves. People are NOT complaining to the AFRICAN Nations about their part in this. Basically if there were NO people to transport, nothing would have happened`.
Do you mean the independent African nations that existed at the time of this momentary blip on the collective white humanity's radar, or the fake, tin-pot ones that were created and nurtured by their white colonial overlords?

My vague recollection of history as taught was the vast majority of traded black humans were rounded up and snatched by traders of an Arab ethnicity, once again most bereft of any nationality that one could pin a flag on. They were still mostly opportunistic nomads, and hadn't yet been given a flag of their own. They in turn sold their stateless black victims to the mostly white suppliers of mostly white colonial powers.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 16, 2020, 2:24 pm

ok then , so we're all going with " denier theory"
didn't happen 150 years of trade was insignificant

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 16, 2020, 4:09 pm

:lol:

I knew you'd enjoy this thread mech.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 16, 2020, 5:06 pm

See there we have it, unspecified Arabs from a non-country, rounded up all these coloureds and SOLD them, the buyers were merely transporting goods as it were to the BUYERS .
As I said if no goods then no traders. Simple, the sellers knew the buyers wanted more so they obliged .

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » June 16, 2020, 6:25 pm

here's a list of the (9) imaginary british forts-slave factories that existed and used from 1650-1800

fort anomado, fort james , fort sekondi, fort wineeba, fort apolonia , fort tantumquery, fort
metal cross , fort komenda , and cape coast
castle the administrative center. much still exists

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 16, 2020, 9:18 pm

mech_401 wrote:
June 16, 2020, 2:24 pm
ok then , so we're all going with " denier theory"
didn't happen 150 years of trade was insignificant
Nobody's in denial here but bonanza's point about why it has a sudden, violently renewed relevance around 400 years down the line?

The boiling pot has been and always will be in America. They imported slave labour into their heartland and have struggled to facilitate the aftermath.

The protests and mindless criminal damage in the UK and other former colonial cities, fueled by the frustrations of a societal lock down that hasn't yet been justified, are only succeeding in drawing the ignorant right wing sociopaths and misanthropists out of from under the bridges.

Return to “U.K.”