Johnson's tunnel vision

tamada
udonmap.com

Johnson's tunnel vision

Post by tamada » February 14, 2021, 1:49 pm

After infamously touting the "Boris Bridge" fantasy to link the UK with Northern Ireland last summer, it has apparently morphed into the slightly less impractical but decidedly more expensive "Borris Burrow"... a tunnel connecting Stranraer with Larne.

An undersea tunnel between Great Britain and Northern Ireland could get the green light as early next month and help unblock trade which has been hit by Brexit tensions by creating the first ever fixed link between all four nations of the United Kingdom.
1975.jpg
"A Bridge Too Far"... coming to a (political) theater near you.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... een-light/

Can't apply for EU funding for that one now, eh? Maybe the whizzy Chancellor will come up with a catchy solution like, "Eat out to dig out"?

A commentator on UK radio suggested that since the new tunnel is the 'same size' as the existing Channel Tunnel, they can use the excavations from the new Celtic one to fill in the old French one.

Win-win, no?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Johnson's tunnel vision

Post by stattointhailand » February 14, 2021, 1:59 pm

Seems like a pretty hefty detour to get the Liverpool/Man Utd fan base to "home games"
Last edited by stattointhailand on February 14, 2021, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 14, 2021, 2:01 pm

Which end does Bojo intend to have the "customs checkpoint"?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 14, 2021, 2:08 pm

Last time I did Stranraer to Larne it wasn't exactly very busy (us and 3 other vehicles), and regardless of ferry or tunnel or bridge it will still require the same customs checks

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 14, 2021, 4:34 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 14, 2021, 2:08 pm
Last time I did Stranraer to Larne it wasn't exactly very busy (us and 3 other vehicles), and regardless of ferry or tunnel or bridge it will still require the same customs checks
I know, you know and pretty much anyone else knows that be it bridge, airport, ferry or tunnel, customs checks will still be needed. I may be a tad jaded here but you don't think that this rush job tunnel approval is designed to torpedo the SNP's wish to do a Greta Garbo on our splendid Union? It appears the Scottish Minister thinks it a simply spiffing idea... well he would, wouldn't he? But wee Nicky and her Westminster gobshyte must be a tad worried what with Scottish elections on the very near horizon? The Oirish got a few billion quid out of Theresa May to keep them onside but Nicky's maybe getting a torpedo tube.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 14, 2021, 10:08 pm

tamada wrote:
February 14, 2021, 1:49 pm
After infamously touting the "Boris Bridge" fantasy to link the UK with Northern Ireland last summer, it has apparently morphed into the slightly less impractical but decidedly more expensive "Borris Burrow"... a tunnel connecting Stranraer with Larne.

An undersea tunnel between Great Britain and Northern Ireland could get the green light as early next month and help unblock trade which has been hit by Brexit tensions by creating the first ever fixed link between all four nations of the United Kingdom.

1975.jpg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... een-light/

Can't apply for EU funding for that one now, eh? Maybe the whizzy Chancellor will come up with a catchy solution like, "Eat out to dig out"?

A commentator on UK radio suggested that since the new tunnel is the 'same size' as the existing Channel Tunnel, they can use the excavations from the new Celtic one to fill in the old French one.

Win-win, no?
Fantastic idea .. lets hope it gets the green light .. and more so is completed in a timely manner .. well quicker than Udons RR/AP intersection of Walentines love make overthat iz.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 15, 2021, 11:14 am

I hear he's also planning a Scunthorpe to Grimsby tunnel to get the good people of Scunny to their fav weekend destination avoiding the traffic problems at Lincolnshires fav intersection (Brigg)

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 15, 2021, 1:14 pm

Dont you mean that we could have applied for some of our own money back rather than give it to French and German farmers, Tam. EU funding, a bigger con than Bit Coins.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 16, 2021, 9:28 am

As I understand it the Channel tunnel was tunnelling through what was before it was flooded land that joined us all together. However the Scottish/Irish tunnel of wherever would have to go through far more substantial strata, as the two entities have NEVER been joined, plus the depth may have to be greater. This may make it far more costly and uneconomic . It is only my understanding , I am open to updates and rebuttals

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 16, 2021, 11:00 am

Screenshot_20210216-105357_1.jpg
Channel Tunnel
Screenshot_20210216-105715_1.jpg
Boris's Burrow

Zico
udonmap.com

Post by Zico » March 12, 2021, 8:31 pm

Plan B is the Isle of Man Roundabout. :shock:
Prime minister Boris Johnson wants to build a giant roundabout under the Isle of Man, connecting England, Scotland and Northern Ireland, according to The Sunday Times.
Johnson has already ordered a feasibility study into a 25-mile crossing between Larne in Ireland and Stanraer in Scotland, with Network Rail chair Peter Hendy due to publish his findings in the coming weeks.

But tunnelling between the locations is complicated by the need to cross Beaufort’s Dyke, a 32-mile trench between Scotland and Northern Ireland, where 1.5 million tonnes of munitions were dumped after the Second World War.

An underground roundabout would avoid the need to cross the Dyke, connecting four roads from Stanraer, Belfast, Liverpool and Heysham in Lancashire. The proposed roundabout would be named ‘Douglas Junction’, after the capital of the Isle of Man.

A source told The Sunday Times: ‘Everyone knows Boris wants to do this, so people were asked to look at how.’

Another said the proposal ‘cannot die’ because of Johnson’s fervent belief in it, adding: ‘Just as Hitler moved around imaginary armies in the dying days of the Third Reich, so the No. 10 policy unit is condemned to keep looking at this idea, which exists primarily in the mind of the prime minister.’

Alan Dunlop, the architect who first proposed a Celtic crossing between Ireland and Scotland, said the latest idea ‘does not sound credible’.

He said: ‘I cannot think why Johnson would say that, particularly at a time when there is so much criticism being levelled at the prime minister and the so-called Boris’s Burrow is being ridiculed in much of the press.

‘It only serves to undermine that which I know to be structurally, technically and physically achievable, and that is a tunnel or bridge that connects Scotland with Ireland.’
https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/new ... sle-of-man

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tunn ... -cg9523lxp

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 13, 2021, 6:11 pm

^ Artists concept follows.
Screenshot_20210313-181019_1.jpg

Return to “U.K.”