Conservative's new leader-in-waiting

tamada
udonmap.com

Conservative's new leader-in-waiting

Post by tamada » June 1, 2022, 8:31 am

Explain yourself over partygate, Lord Geidt tells Boris Johnson

Government ethics adviser demands that Prime Minister answers questions over potential breach of ministerial code

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -fine-did/

As the knives get drawn on the UK's self-styled Caesar, and in lieu of the passing of Lester Piggott, which Tory jockey would be most likely to get the nod? Keeping in mind that their selection process still obviates voting for anyone of moral rectitude and/or blessed with humility.

I see that Andrea Ledsom has suddenly stuck her head above the parapet (and looked quite nice in her thigh-hugging white slacks). Even Lord Hague has been publicly casting the runes on the no-confidence letter count.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Earnest
udonmap.com

Re: Conservative's new leader-in-waiting

Post by Earnest » June 2, 2022, 1:40 am

It's a bit of a poison chalice, ain't it? Johnson gets the push and the Fascista re-occupy the back benches in favour of a more centrist cabinet. Whoever becomes the new leader needs to control the Loonies at the back while maintaining a steady course of effective government. Look at what happened to John Major and Theresa May. Furthermore, let's not forget that Cameron was forced to instigate a Brexit referendum to keep the Loonies happy.

The Conservative Party is a turd-stained lavvie that needs a good drain and flush, throw a few people out, run down that Russian money and investigate Undesirables like Owen Patterson. Maybe subject a windfall tax on Rees-Mogg and the Sunaks.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 2, 2022, 1:57 am

I suppose the bookies have some odds for the next PM. Hopefully the favourite isn't Starmer.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 2, 2022, 6:11 am

Earnest wrote:
June 2, 2022, 1:40 am
It's a bit of a poison chalice, ain't it? Johnson gets the push and the Fascista re-occupy the back benches in favour of a more centrist cabinet. Whoever becomes the new leader needs to control the Loonies at the back while maintaining a steady course of effective government. Look at what happened to John Major and Theresa May. Furthermore, let's not forget that Cameron was forced to instigate a Brexit referendum to keep the Loonies happy.

The Conservative Party is a turd-stained lavvie that needs a good drain and flush, throw a few people out, run down that Russian money and investigate Undesirables like Owen Patterson. Maybe subject a windfall tax on Rees-Mogg and the Sunaks.
Both prescient and succinct, thanks

Are you new here?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » June 2, 2022, 3:22 pm

Sort of, I started posting on UM in 2007 then left in 2009 to join the Udon Talk Massif. I usually dip in and out of here after having a ding dong on another forum. I hope you don't mind?

I'm pleased you took the time to read my post, very kind. But I reserve the right to stand in the pub and rant at the retired airline pilots, plumbers and accountants with respect to how they voted and what a state the nation is in - it's almost cathartic for me. I know you're at the top of the bar listening to me while grinding your teeth but if you could tolerate me just a little more then I'll try and control myself.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 3, 2022, 3:58 am

The British Tories and US Republicans are full of loons. Some wit I think once called the UK ones swivel eyed loons. The Leader of the Opposition in Oz is also now in my opinion a loon. Why are the loons so prominent on the right?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 3, 2022, 6:07 am

GT93 wrote:
June 3, 2022, 3:58 am
The British Tories and US Republicans are full of loons. Some wit I think once called the UK ones swivel eyed loons. The Leader of the Opposition in Oz is also now in my opinion a loon. Why are the loons so prominent on the right?
Unsurprisingly misinformed.

https://virtualstoa.net/2013/05/18/a-sh ... yed-loons/

Hope this helps.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 3, 2022, 6:11 am

Earnest wrote:
June 2, 2022, 3:22 pm
Sort of, I started posting on UM in 2007 then left in 2009 to join the Udon Talk Massif. I usually dip in and out of here after having a ding dong on another forum. I hope you don't mind?

I'm pleased you took the time to read my post, very kind. But I reserve the right to stand in the pub and rant at the retired airline pilots, plumbers and accountants with respect to how they voted and what a state the nation is in - it's almost cathartic for me. I know you're at the top of the bar listening to me while grinding your teeth but if you could tolerate me just a little more then I'll try and control myself.
No. I'm the one gritting my teeth behind the verbose chap who's hogging the counter near the taps and sucking the air out of the room.

Can I get you a half?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

pipadoo
udonmap.com

Post by pipadoo » June 3, 2022, 1:00 pm

Why not be fully woke and invite the trans Scottish ( “ jimmy clithero) Nicholas Turgeon to come down to Westminster and give everyone a really good laugh🥸😎🧐😐

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » June 3, 2022, 6:23 pm

Verbosity; yes, there are a few on this forum who lack brevity, including myself at times.

A half? I see you're still counting your pennies but I'll pass especially as I'm Morris Dancing this afternoon.

Jeremy Hunt as next Conservative leader? No, we need someone new.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetor ... ellor.html

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 3, 2022, 6:29 pm

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 3, 2022, 6:35 pm

Earnest wrote:
June 3, 2022, 6:23 pm
Verbosity; yes, there are a few on this forum who lack brevity, including myself at times.

A half? I see you're still counting your pennies but I'll pass especially as I'm Morris Dancing this afternoon.

Jeremy Hunt as next Conservative leader? No, we need someone new.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetor ... ellor.html
Just heard on the radio about Jeremy being a candidate of Boris capitulates. Scary.

They also mentioned that if the no confidence motion results in Boris's demise AND the Durham polis issue FPN's for Starmer and Rayner and they step down, we could have both parties plunged into simultaneous leadership contests.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 4, 2022, 3:04 am

What a mess although a new leader can quickly bring positive political changes. Who knows, Britain's greatest Prime Minister of the 21st century might already be on the back benches in the House of Commons learning his or her craft watching Johnson. Perhaps not the next PM but not far from holding the highest office in the UK.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 4, 2022, 8:40 am

GT93 wrote:
June 4, 2022, 3:04 am
What a mess although a new leader can quickly bring positive political changes. Who knows, Britain's greatest Prime Minister of the 21st century might already be on the back benches in the House of Commons learning his or her craft watching Johnson. Perhaps not the next PM but not far from holding the highest office in the UK.
The way I see it is that both Conservative and Labour have seen the departure of several of their 'legacy' MP's and the more moderate voices of certain party grandees. The Conservatives in particular are blessed by a high intake of noob MP's with their blue wall victories in the North and Northwest. Whether these political neophytes will blindly follow their whips in what has become probably the most polarized scenario in British political history, remains to be seen. Both Labour and the Tories have their extremists-in-waiting, some disarmingly labeled as 'back benchers'. It's when some of these graduate to the Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet that gives an insight on how far any party is lurching to either extreme.

I would suggest that there may be a higher incidence of early retirements as the easily disaffected and more disenfranchised 'youth' MP realizes that Westminster wasn't the reason they got a degree in social psychology or political science. However, if either Johnson or Starmer stand aside, either by party edict or self-harm, this could invigorate the less ardent to hang about and see which way the political winds blow... unless of course they are deselected by their own party.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 11, 2024, 11:11 am

Is it true that Nigel Farage is on the lips of some to be the saviour of the good ship 'Conservative Party'. A recent interview suggests he may be able to string words together well, but is there anything is his speeches to suggest, ahh yes' I could see that as a policy to support in moving the U.K. forward?
INTERVIEW | DECCA AITKENHEAD
Nigel Farage: ‘The Tories are desperate. They want to know what I’ll do’
He survived a plane crash, got Brexit done and conquered the jungle. Is Nigel Farage really ready to be the next Tory leader?

Since standing down in 2021 as leader of the Brexit Party — now called Reform UK — Farage presents a nightly show on GB News watched by about 150,000 viewers, but we both know that’s not why we are here today. The morning’s news is led by a former Tory minister predicting electoral “massacre” under Rishi Sunak, should Farage become Reform’s leader. A poll a week before our meeting had found Farage the clear favourite to win Clacton-on-Sea for Reform if he stood. That evening a former Sunak aide would warn that if Farage returns to frontline politics, “the Conservative Party essentially won’t exist by Christmas”.

“Oh, I’m the radical. I want huge, radical reform to the whole system. The ruling establishment doesn’t want any change at all. If you said to most establishment figures in the last 500 years that there are people dying in the gutter out there, they’d say, ‘So what?’ ” He sounds closer to Jeremy Corbyn than Sunak. “Not Corbyn. But I might feel closer to Bernie Sanders. Definitely.” Like Sanders, the left-wing senator who challenged Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden for the Democratic presidential nominations, he talks about the rampant power of big corporations, the pernicious influence of lobbyists and the “people left behind”. So what would a Farage manifesto contain?
He’s much happier blaming others than being accountable for solutions or forging alliances. Farage fell out with almost every senior colleague in his Ukip career, and when asked to name this century’s best PM, flashes back: “Well, [Theresa] May’s at the bottom.” He is kindest towards the least successful PM in modern history. “I felt a lot of what [Liz] Truss and [Kwasi] Kwarteng were saying was right, but mishandled in the most amazing way.” Boris Johnson “ballsed the whole thing up”. The Lib Dem leader, Ed Davey, “doesn’t even have half a brain”.

Farage wouldn’t vote for a single serving Tory MP. “A bunch of charlatans and liars.” What about his friend and GB News colleague Jacob Rees-Mogg? “Oh, he’s a very nice bloke, but he’ll always do the wrong thing in the end.” Lee Anderson’s vote for the Rwanda Bill provokes a snort of contempt. “I thought he was a miner. I thought miners were tough.”

He “can’t think of one” government policy passed this century, other than the Brexit act, that he supports.

In three hours he doesn’t offer one coherent, detailed, positive proposal for anything.

Presumably the goal now wouldn’t be a single policy, but power. “Exactly.”
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nige ... -xw3sbppn7

Surely, the Conservatives can stumble upon a leader better than this.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 11, 2024, 12:43 pm

"In three hours he doesn’t offer one coherent, detailed, positive proposal for anything."

Three hours? Try in his whole, pathetic, insignificant but overhyped political "career".
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 11, 2024, 3:40 pm

Well, I think his strategy is brilliant.

By pointing out problems, and tapping into the minds of the largely uninformed he hits the mark. Don't trust politicians, governments are manipulated, you are the downtrodden. Very appealing to those who agree and identify with his criticisms. This type of Libertarian approach is tapping into a huge audience who don't think through about a potential plan B, as long as they agree that plan A is not for them

Australia's Paulene Hanson is still in parliament, despite being nothing other than a winging fog horn

Nigel is like PH without the redhair.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » February 11, 2024, 6:50 pm

or minge (possibly)
Watch Me!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 11, 2024, 9:04 pm

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 12, 2024, 10:10 am

Whistler wrote:
February 11, 2024, 3:40 pm
Well, I think his strategy is brilliant.

By pointing out problems, and tapping into the minds of the largely uninformed he hits the mark. Don't trust politicians, governments are manipulated, you are the downtrodden. Very appealing to those who agree and identify with his criticisms. This type of Libertarian approach is tapping into a huge audience who don't think through about a potential plan B, as long as they agree that plan A is not for them

Australia's Paulene Hanson is still in parliament, despite being nothing other than a winging fog horn

Nigel is like PH without the redhair.
He is also a friend of Trump.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Return to “U.K.”