Lovely ?? Remarks from Thai Health Minister !!!!

GT93
udonmap.com

Re: Dirty Farangs

Post by GT93 » March 15, 2020, 1:38 pm

Stickman has a number of paragraphs touching on dirty farangs in his column this week:

"I note that just yesterday Cambodia announced it was banning entry to Westerners from 5 countries, including Americans. The ban will last for 30 days – but don’t be surprised if it’s extended and neither should you be surprised to see more countries added to the list. Funny that China with all its Covid-19 cases is not on the list…."

And: "Remember Dan, the British expat operating SaigonExpatServices who I did a Q&A with in in the column a few weeks ago? Dan sent me an email with important info for anyone planning to visit Vietnam:

The Vietnamese have cancelled all visas from the EU and Britain. The hysteria here has turned from China and is now focusing on EU. The Viets are savaging Westerners online. It all comes down to a Hanoi socialite who came back from London and infected people traveling from London to Hanoi. If Westerners want to travel to Vietnam then they should check before they come as most visas have been cancelled."

And: "The other half tells me that some Thais are posting online, unhappy at the number of foreigners – in this case read: Caucasians – who don’t wear masks in public places, particularly on the skytrain."

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 15, 2020, 2:31 pm

I was listening to some advice on BBC Radio 5 Live a few mornings ago and one guy suggested that instead of basing our activities and responses on the notion that we are NOT infected, he was already basing his activities and responses on the notion that he MAY ALREADY BE infected. This was driven primarily by his concern for an elderly relative that he visited frequently and seeing himself as a more probable conduit to her Covid-19 related demise rather than an unlikely source.

Instead of leaving her all alone, he has bolstered the hand washing regimen with gloves and instead of visiting her as part of a routine where he does some shopping, walks the dog, on the way home from work, etc., it's now a dedicated round-trip from his 'soft' home-quarantine to her home-quarantine and back. A simple behavioral modification with significant health benefits for someone else.

With regard to the face mask 'debate' and in light of what some locals perceive as reckless and irresponsible farang attitudes, I am with firmly with @Whistler on this. Yes, they are primarily to prevent whatever YOU are exhaling from contaminating other people or surfaces and have absolutely no value in your personal protection, but they do prevent you from the high-risk habit of touching your face. I read that the reduction in face-touching is at least ten-fold once you have a mask on. Yes, you can touch the outside and further reduce your 'defence' but you haven't directly touched your nose and mouth... you need to make sure you don't touch your eyes though.

The path of least resistance is always easiest so if you have a face mask, wear it when out and about and among strangers. If you don't have a face mask, they are still available but same as Boots back in the UK, you may need to ask as they are keeping stocks off the racks and behind the counter to stop the sillier buggers hoarding.

If you feel like making a statement and going sans mask in public in your best falang lue-mahk impersonation, knock yourself out but don't whine about it here when you get the stink-eye.

moalboal

Post by moalboal » March 15, 2020, 2:38 pm

One might also wonder why the Health Minister doesn't advocate the wearing of facemasks to all persons living in the north of Thailand. The unrelenting foul air is a far greater threat to most than Covid-19.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 15, 2020, 5:38 pm

the PM 2.5 "crisis" has been overwhelmed and forgotten by the COVID-19 crisis.. Udon AQI is 128 at 1737 hours 15 March...
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Lovely ?? Remarks from Thai Health Minister !!!!

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 17, 2020, 11:13 am

I was talking to an expat (Aussie) business colleague in Bkk and he knows the health minister very very well , plays golf with , dinner parties at his home etc and he reckons this guy is a really nice chap ... he got his ministerial position via part of the coalition deal struck and does not have a health background .. hes actually the owner of Sino Thai construction co.

So lets not call for his head just yet ..theres always 2 sides to every story.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 17, 2020, 11:42 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 17, 2020, 11:13 am
I was talking to an expat (Aussie) business colleague in Bkk and he knows the health minister very very well , plays golf with , dinner parties at his home etc and he reckons this guy is a really nice chap ... he got his ministerial position via part of the coalition deal struck and does not have a health background .. hes actually the owner of Sino Thai construction co.

Yes, nothing wrong with being heir to a filthy-rich Thai-Chinese building consortium's fortune and thus 'bought' his government position. If I had that sort of social grounding, I would be a nice(r) bloke too. Maybe.

There's Peers in the UK's House of Lord's with less of a wedge than 'im.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 17, 2020, 3:22 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:

So he plays golf and throws a good dinner party , and that makes him a nice , no sorry , really nice chap .
No , sorry John , not buying it .
He has showed his worth by opening his hiso gob before engaging his hiso brain , and biting the very hands that feed over 20 % of Thai GDP .
His comments have not only been disgusting and degrading to all us whiteys , but hes opened the flood gates to racial abuse . The mans a moran , and all the money in the world aint gonna change that .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 17, 2020, 3:29 pm

saint wrote:
March 17, 2020, 3:22 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:

So he plays golf and throws a good dinner party , and that makes him a nice , no sorry , really nice chap .
He has showed his worth by opening his hiso gob before engaging his hiso brain , and biting the very hands that feed over 20 % of Thai GDP .
His comments have not only been disgusting and degrading to all us whiteys , but hes opened the flood gates to racial abuse . The mans a moran , and all the money in the world aint gonna change that .
Not asking you or anyone else to buy anything .. merely posting WHAT I WAS TOLD by some one who knows him ..nothing more.

DID I SAY I AGREED WITH MY FRIENDS VIEWS .. dont think so

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 17, 2020, 6:12 pm

It has been stated that although the twitter feed was attributed to him he in fact did not write it . Now that information I take with a ton of SALT, and as a further note how someone behave in his private life can and often does bear no resemblance to his Work life in which with the Power of being a DPM can go to some peoples head. Maybe at home his wife keeps his feet firmly on the ground.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 17, 2020, 10:29 pm

^ Good point well made. None of my satisfied clients, who watch me in the professional work place safely completing yet another on-time and under-budget project, have any idea that I attended all their pre-project conference calls while sitting at the computer bollock naked and posting off-topic and ad hominem attacks on the ubiquitous internet forum Whiner.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 18, 2020, 5:38 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 17, 2020, 3:29 pm
saint wrote:
Drunk Monkey wrote:

Not asking you or anyone else to buy anything .. merely posting WHAT I WAS TOLD by some one who knows him ..nothing more.

DM
No John , you didnt . But you did ask us not to call for his head just yet .
Sorry , but i judged the man for what he is when he threw all his toys out of his pram at the airport , and started insulting farangs in public ,in front of the press , thinking he was being a smart arse .
He thought the health ministers job would be easy street , and when the virus hit , it was obvious to all that hes well out of his depth . He may well be a minister , but he certainly is no diplomat .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 18, 2020, 8:05 am

saint wrote:
March 18, 2020, 5:38 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 17, 2020, 3:29 pm
saint wrote:
Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM
No John , you didnt . But you did ask us not to call for his head just yet .
Sorry , but i judged the man for what he is when he threw all his toys out of his pram at the airport , and started insulting farangs in public ,in front of the press , thinking he was being a smart arse .
He thought the health ministers job would be easy street , and when the virus hit , it was obvious to all that hes well out of his depth . He may well be a minister , but he certainly is no diplomat .
I wasnt protecting the guy and i agree with the above in red , he has no health background and got the position as part of the coalition set up .. so most definately with the current crisis hes may be out his depth and spoke chose his words badly.

Im guessing many people get into politics thinking the top jobs are easy and hold a great deal of power which they do but in reality its certainly not easy street especially with the social medis ---- storm that can follow.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 18, 2020, 2:21 pm

Fair enough . i honestly thought you were defending the guy , more or less saying give him a chance . My mistake .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 18, 2020, 5:43 pm

Talking about square pegs and arse holes, I see that the perpetual walking disaster of a UK politician has been given another high-profile job to cock up. From Justice to Transport, this one-man wrecking ball is now getting a crack at Intelligence.

Don't panic though, it's probably the last step on his way to the peerage that already had his moniker on it and a soft job in the upper House.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... sia-report

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”