Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Miscellaneous COVID-19/Corona Virus Discussion, Questions, etc.

Post by Whistler » March 21, 2020, 10:50 am

They can only stop and search if they have a reasonable case that you have committed a criminal act.

From a Thai legal site...

http://www.thailandbail.com/thai-police ... earch-you/

From your explanation, there are no reasonable ground to suspect a criminal act has taken place, just a random case of picking on farangs. I had a cop try to harass me in Suvarnabhumi airport a couple of years ago, demanding to see my boarding pass even though I was just walking to food court on level 1.

He was very aggressive for no reason so I took out my phone, turned on the camera and told him in no uncertain words what to do. A crowd formed around us and the coward turned on his heels and walked away.

enough said

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 21, 2020, 11:21 am

GT93 wrote:
March 21, 2020, 1:36 am

That's from the international departure hall at Auckland airport. The world is going bananas.
I cant get my head round the bog roll bulk buying n hoarding .. there are plenty of other options and anyone residing in Thailand will understand the high pressure bum gun system which leaves no clingker , danglies or residue safe .. n no bog roll required unless you are posh n dab off the wetness.

I could think of more important things to bulk buy n store.

some real fruit cakes out there .. spitting woman arrested

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30384494

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » March 21, 2020, 12:02 pm

Report post #1
Posted 2 minutes ago
Thailand reports 89 new coronavirus cases in highest daily jump

2020-03-20.jpg

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand reported its largest daily increase in coronavirus infections on Saturday, with 89 new cases taking the national tally to 411.

Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a Public Health Ministry spokesman, said the new cases were linked to earlier infections from a boxing match, an entertainment complex and a religious gathering in neighbouring Malaysia.

Of those infected, 366 are currently being treated, while 44 have recovered.

Thailand has reported one death in the outbreak.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 21, 2020, 12:27 pm

What about Nong Khai Alan? Hopefully it's one of the safer parts of Thailand although I suppose the hippy backpackers that flock there might be a bit of a worry.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » March 21, 2020, 12:34 pm

Seems appropriate:
CENTRAL MIDNIGHT SALE
21 March 2020 – 31 March 2020

GT93
udonmap.com

Re: Corona Virus / Covid important Information

Post by GT93 » March 21, 2020, 1:13 pm

The 64 year old should look at and consider following the guidelines for the 70 pluses. As should any others his age not in good health. He'll also be well down the queue for a ventilator.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 21, 2020, 1:24 pm

I asked my wife what are the village police, she had never heard the term. What are the village police?

Are they able to racially profile people (illegal under the 2007 constitution) or accuse them of the crime of being a suspected farang?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 21, 2020, 1:37 pm

You said Farang
They can stop anyone
They do random drug testing
heaps get caught, peeing purple
These ones dont get charged but are sent to rehab centres
Your wife never heard of village police
Have you ever been in village
Who do you think mans those roadside check points
Chaing Mai way they shoot and killed a non stopper
Think they got a smack for that
So if asked may pay to be polite and answer some easy questions
Last edited by noosard on March 21, 2020, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 21, 2020, 1:43 pm

AlexO wrote:
March 19, 2020, 4:50 pm
stattointhailand wrote:
March 19, 2020, 2:49 pm
Not sure how many Udon expats will be affected (was quite a few 20 years ago), but with the UK govt freezing all rent payments (private and public sectors) during the emergency how many here are reliant on renting their UK house/flat out to pay for their life in Udon?
Where was that one published. Cannot see anything mentioned in any of the UK MSM.
Chancellors speech a couple of days ago ........ 3 months protection against being evicted ......... nobody will pay rent knowing they may need the money for bog rolls and other things when they can keep it in their own bank account for emergencies

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 21, 2020, 2:18 pm

noosard wrote:
March 21, 2020, 1:37 pm
You said Farang
They can stop anyone
They do random drug testing
heaps get caught, peeing purple
These ones dont get charged but are sent to rehab centres
Your wife never heard of village police
Have you ever been in village
Who do you think mans those roadside check points
Chaing Mai way they shoot and killed a non stopper
Think they got a smack for that
So if asked may pay to be polite and answer some easy questions
What have roadside compliance and safety checks or random drug testing got to do with your post about random checks on farangs?

Racial profiling, while it exists, is illegal in Thailand and you state your wife as a police officer, she knows that, or should know that.

I would also suggest, your wife takes her instructions from her superior in the police force, not her husband who plainly does not know the law

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 21, 2020, 2:31 pm

Chinese tourists returning to Thailand in APRIL 2020 .. with all the closures and restrictions on travelers the TAT are actually backing this to happen ..wtf

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/chin ... o-thailand

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 21, 2020, 2:38 pm

All I am telling you is be polite if ask and answer the questions
My wife does not take instructions from me
She asked me for advice as to what questions to ask
How is it racial profiling if they ask all out of villagers (Thais and foriegners) these questions about if you have been in virus infected areas
Feel free to ignore but dont bame anyone but yourself if you have dug youself a hole

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 21, 2020, 3:24 pm

I ask again, what do roadside stops and drug test got to do with your original post?

Rather than choose farangs (who so far do not appear to have transmitted any cases of Covid 19), and carrying on the demonisation of farangs by the Minister for health. As for little ghosts, the villagers already know who they are by definition, you counsel them about keeping 14 days isolation. We have only one of these in our village and we all know who they are.

Maybe keep an eye on Udon news about villages who have come back from Thai boxing, a very high risk group, rather than waste time talking to 'dirty farangs'.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 21, 2020, 3:28 pm

Italians have unwittingly spread the Coronavirus far and wide. International travellers are a high risk group for spreading the virus.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 21, 2020, 3:37 pm

Not only the Italians! Americans are doing a great job, as well, spreading it around:-

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-21/ ... y/12078230
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 21, 2020, 3:53 pm

Agree with both posters, If I was in Europe I would be avoiding people called Antonio, Giuseppe and Chuck Jnr. Right up there with Charlie Chan and Shanghai Charlie, Mohammed from Tehran etc. To date however, I don't think we should be tolerating the less than subtle comments from the Minister for health about demonising farangs. The problem came from China, and was introduced by Chinese coming to Thailand and Thais who were visiting China. Other major clusters come from Thai nightclubs and Thai boxing fans.

So the problem came from China, better look out for the farangs, so more cases came from Thai people travelling in hotspots, better look out for the farangs, so the virus is spreading within the Thai community, better look out for the farangs.

All this aided and abetted by a very slack Thai government that kept its borders open to chase the tourist money.

To have police randomly stopping farangs in the street might be the case in totalitarian regimes, Thailand is not yet at that point and we should resist going down that path.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 21, 2020, 4:06 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 21, 2020, 3:24 pm
I ask again, what do roadside stops and drug test got to do with your original post?

Rather than choose farangs (who so far do not appear to have transmitted any cases of Covid 19), and carrying on the demonisation of farangs by the Minister for health. As for little ghosts, the villagers already know who they are by definition, you counsel them about keeping 14 days isolation. We have only one of these in our village and we all know who they are.

Maybe keep an eye on Udon news about villages who have come back from Thai boxing, a very high risk group, rather than waste time talking to 'dirty farangs'.
What do police do ? Pretty sure they do more than just road srops and drug test
Thailand is getting close to lockdown
My wife had been to some meeting where the discussion was about outsiders coming to these villages and the possibility of the virus coming with them
and what is going to be their role in helping stop the virus spreading
these villages need protection because of the age of most of the residents

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 21, 2020, 4:20 pm

I am not taking this any further, you are ridiculous. People who are high risk should be monitored, end of story, monitoring should be based on risk factors, not race. Cops doing roadside stops or random drug testing has no correlation to Covit 19.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » March 21, 2020, 4:42 pm

So why is there no mention of a COVID 19 treatment in the Thai news? It has been reported in both France and the US chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine can treat the virus. Both of these drugs are currently used for malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 21, 2020, 4:48 pm

Jing Jing wrote:
March 21, 2020, 4:42 pm
So why is there no mention of a COVID 19 treatment in the Thai news? It has been reported in both France and the US chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine can treat the virus. Both of these drugs are currently used for malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.

Perhaps the Thai authorities are not as stupid as those in France & US and dont want all their citizens to think everything will be wonderful and going back on their spring break !!

BTW it was Trump that said that, and he was corrected 2 minutes later by a senior health official on the same stage that said they were about to "start trials"

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”