Are staff being paid when business is closed?

Udon Map
Admin

Are staff being paid when business is closed?

Post by Udon Map » March 30, 2020, 1:41 pm

Just wondering how people with jobs in shuttered businesses are doing. Restaurant staff, for example. Is pay from the employer continuing? With the bar areas in Bangkok closed, a lot of girls are returning to their homes up here. What are they doing for money?

fatbob
udonmap.com

Re: Are staff being paid when business is closed?

Post by fatbob » March 30, 2020, 2:55 pm

What a stupid statement, just about all those businesses have been barely surviving for a long time, most will shut permanently, they are on there own here relying on family...How well do you know Thailand???

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 30, 2020, 3:16 pm

Complicated UM, my staff are off. She can not come as she can't leave her village due to some idiot comming from the boxing match in Bangkok, so how do I treat staff that can't make it due to the government. I would love to pay her, great staff. But my buffets have had to stop, so my income reduced and no one is paying me. Good staff are hard to find .hard decision
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 30, 2020, 3:19 pm

fatbob wrote:
March 30, 2020, 2:55 pm
What a stupid statement, just about all those businesses have been barely surviving for a long time, most will shut permanently, they are on there own here relying on family...How well do you know Thailand???
I think that perhaps your view of the country may be a bit limited, perhaps to Issan? Many hotels in Bangkok, for example, are working really hard to keep as many staff working as possible. In one, some of the chefs have been reassigned to general maintenance and are happy to be doing painting rather than being laid off. I was just looking for other anecdotal evidence. If you have any information, I'd be happy to hear it.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 30, 2020, 3:23 pm

Most businesses here will not be paying staff
There will be a lot of broke people about
Expect the crime rate to go up

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » March 30, 2020, 3:30 pm

Udon Map wrote:
March 30, 2020, 3:19 pm
fatbob wrote:
I think that perhaps your view of the country may be a bit limited, perhaps to Issan? Many hotels in Bangkok, for example, are working really hard to keep as many staff working as possible. In one, some of the chefs have been reassigned to general maintenance and are happy to be doing painting rather than being laid off. I was just looking for other anecdotal evidence. If you have any information, I'd be happy to hear it.
Oh, your using huge multi national hotel companys as an example now??? Yeah ok, not the same as a Mum and Dad shop or a Pattaya bar girl or a construction worker.... Yeah right....

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 30, 2020, 3:46 pm

fatbob wrote:
March 30, 2020, 3:30 pm
Udon Map wrote:
March 30, 2020, 3:19 pm
fatbob wrote:
Oh, your using huge multi national hotel companys as an example now??? Yeah ok, not the same as a Mum and Dad shop or a Pattaya bar girl or a construction worker.... Yeah right....
Which hotel was I talking about? Also, do you understand the word "anecdotal"?

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » March 30, 2020, 3:54 pm

Tropical bar in Pattaya owned by Bert Elson, a pretty well known gentleman among the expat community has, so far, managed to keep his staff on, they have been deep cleaning, decorating and doing deliveries but my guess is that he’s in the minority, a lot of the bars and restaurants have been struggling for a while, the strong baht and immigration issues didn’t help and this is just a final nail in the coffin. In all honesty I can’t see the Thai government giving two hoots about the Bangkok/Pattaya sex scene, they’ve been trying to kill it off for a good few years now.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 30, 2020, 4:04 pm

Well relating to that a good friend of mine whose daughter works for individual Power , keeps her accommodation, but will not be paid , go figure .

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » March 30, 2020, 4:05 pm

papafarang wrote:
March 30, 2020, 3:16 pm
Complicated UM, my staff are off. She can not come as she can't leave her village due to some idiot comming from the boxing match in Bangkok, so how do I treat staff that can't make it due to the government. I would love to pay her, great staff. But my buffets have had to stop, so my income reduced and no one is paying me. Good staff are hard to find .hard decision
You just might want to re-read what you posted?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » March 30, 2020, 4:08 pm

Well as far as I can see this BS is totally over blown. Don’t get out much before, now a little less because it looks like I have arrived on a different planet when I do. Went to the Bank today, little less busy. On the way looked to me like a lot of shops were open for business. Traffic tad less.

Have not been to a bar in years, but when I did, mostly empty, food places about the same. Remember back when a new FL food place would open, went to the trouble to find it, and parking, and most if not all turned out to be less than ok and guess what, they are no longer there, lasted at best 2 months.

An now this web site has turned into complete BS, WTF a total of 8 cases in the area, most have by now recovered or are Dead, but it still goes on.

RSP Udon

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 30, 2020, 7:55 pm

If the business owner is financially stable, they may want to continue to compensate their key people. If they have a fairly large staff, it is unlikely they will pay them all.

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » March 30, 2020, 8:47 pm

Neighbours niece works/worked at a Go Go on Walking street and had 20% of her money earnt withheld.
Apparently the Farang owned establishment did the same to the ladies working at their other club as well.
Voiceover for hire.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » March 30, 2020, 8:53 pm

RLTrader wrote:
March 30, 2020, 4:05 pm
papafarang wrote:
Dean? Did you re-read your post? I cant see a problem . Can you verify please?

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 31, 2020, 7:00 am

choi choi wrote:
March 30, 2020, 8:53 pm
RLTrader wrote:
March 30, 2020, 4:05 pm
papafarang wrote:
Dean? Did you re-read your post? I cant see a problem . Can you verify please?
Me neither ?
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 31, 2020, 7:36 am

Although over 20 million have signed up for the Government grant of I believe 5000 per month, the report stated that NOT ALL will get it. Those that work in the entertainment world , are normally self-employed, reaping the benefits of the places they work at, while those same places reap the benefits of the people who work there. So zero recompense.
Others ,well in Thailand people are cheap so lose a few staff, no worries get more another day , after a month of this I suspect Criminal activities to rise and Social dis-order as many will not be able to pay their bills , although no fear of being cut-off, the bills will still be there and many only earn just enough as it is . Interesting times ahead.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”