Post Covid ecomony

GT93
udonmap.com

Re: Post Covid ecomony

Post by GT93 » May 26, 2020, 4:34 pm

parrot wrote:
May 24, 2020, 9:26 pm
Diving in, hasn't the pandemic outed super successful Singapore as a kind of caste society?
Yes, I think so. Thailand has similarities with its ASEAN country sourced workers and perhaps this will be its Achilles heal too.

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 26, 2020, 4:48 pm

mech_401 wrote:
May 25, 2020, 10:55 pm
so , scotland is a big haven for economic refugees? lots of blacks from strife torn countries
in africa? brown people fleeing middle-east,india?
resettling central americans? mexicans? No. you
have a tiny, miniscule amount. like maybe 1%
In fact it is 8.1%.

Nothing more incongruent as a Chinese looking person taking with a broad Glaswegian accent, or a Jamaican lilt mixed with same
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 26, 2020, 7:14 pm

not even close white scottish 88% , white british
8.5% other whites 1.5% , white irish 1%

there's only like2% left? all fractions of 1% :-s

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 26, 2020, 7:21 pm

source:

scotland.com/culture/demographics

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 27, 2020, 1:35 am

And the Post Covid economy?

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 27, 2020, 5:53 am

mech_401 wrote:
May 26, 2020, 7:14 pm

When I was young and we went to The Barras in Glasgow was really strange and funny at the time to here the Indians speaking broad Glaswegian. People who watch the TV series still game will get what I mean. The figures above I would say are out of date for example my home city now has Polish people making up about 20% of the population

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 27, 2020, 7:45 am

^ I didnae ken ye were frae th' Broch.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 27, 2020, 8:03 am

dunroaming wrote:
May 27, 2020, 5:53 am
mech_401 wrote:
May 26, 2020, 7:14 pm

When I was young and we went to The Barras in Glasgow was really strange and funny at the time to here the Indians speaking broad Glaswegian. People who watch the TV series still game will get what I mean. The figures above I would say are out of date for example my home city now has Polish people making up about 20% of the population
SORRY OFF TOPIC ..but WGAS

Here you go DR some Barras memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU6NGDeH9ZM

Translator required if not Scottish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqO-IZ9A5Ww

Zombie Jo The prankster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSMjjstn76g

Even a song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tiaUWdMf1g

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 3, 2020, 2:56 pm

I still think there will be little or no Tourists, travelling to Thailand in July this year, despite all the rhetoric that if floating around the media and this includes, those likely Tourists from China and or South Korea. :confused:

As for the Tourist’s from other countries, I wouldn't hold my breath or expect to set foot on Thai soil (outside the Airport) before 01 August 2020, if not before 01 September 2020, certainly not as a Tourist that can freely travel anywhere in Thailand [-o<

As for a Farang wanting to return, simply to visit his family in Isaan, you are unlikely to see them before September :-k

Just my 2 Cents worth

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on June 7, 2020, 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » June 3, 2020, 3:01 pm

well here's a little bit of not so good news from Australia
Australia’
02/06/2020|7min

Unlike its 1991 predecessor, the current recession is truly the “one we were indeed forced to have,” according to Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell.

Australia recorded its last recession in June 1991, with Paul Keating Australia's treasurer.

The recession was severe, with unemployment climbing to almost 11 per cent in 1992 and interest rates surging to 10 per cent.

Mr Clennell said Mr Keating’s claim the downturn was the “recession Australia had to have”, became an “extremely politically damaging statement for the Hawke and Keating governments.”

“For obvious reasons then, as Josh Frydenberg earlier this afternoon announced a recession, he avoided a similar term,” Mr Clennell said.

“It would have been more appropriate if Josh Frydenberg had said that today. Because of the health shutdown, this is the recession that were indeed forced to have.”

The treasurer on Wednesday confirmed Gross Domestic Product contracted by 0.3 per cent in the March quarter, with economists certain the June quarter will be even worse.

That means Australia will slip into its first recession in 29 years due to the shutdown measures enacted to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Mr Clennell said the result is a “sad day,” but it’s worth remembering Australia’s relative economic strength compared to comparable nations.

He said the government will be hopeful the economy can begin to recover now the stringent lockdown restrictions are being lifted across Australia.

“Frydenberg is hopeful here that with restrictions coming off, we can dig ourselves out of this hole somewhat,” Mr Clennell said.

“He says it is time for things like tax reform because we need to get business going again and that needs infrastructure, tax reform, industrial relations reform, changes to skills.”

item

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 6, 2020, 2:56 pm

If this is the case, then it might be a good time to buy one, provided you can wait for 2 years for business to pick up. The sale of Hotels on Koh Samui is probably the tip of the Thailand iceberg, when it comes to future Property Sales in general. :-k :-k

I suspect the same will happen with the Apartment markets in Pattaya and even Bangkok to lesser degree, with some Fire Sales, appearing in the market, over the next 3 -6 months. Anyone who chooses to buy into the Property Market in Thailand over the next six months, will need to be very patient and take a 10 years view, with regards to their ROI (Return on Investment)

Extract from Link Below:

Nearly 100 hotels on the tourism island of Koh Samui are for sale due to the negative impacts of the Covid-19 coronavirus lockdown. Tourism on Koh Samui died after the government ordered hotels shuttered on April 7th to control the disease.

Worasit Pongkampan, president of the Tourism Association of Koh Samui, said owners of nearly 100 local hotels
announced plans put their hotels for sale. Above all because they lacked cash flow and banks won’t lend to them.

According to Worasit, their financial problems started late last year and picked up in January. The COVID-19 crisis struck them in February. Some hotel owner have been unable to collect overdue payments from big tour agencies for months.

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand ... -lockdown/

pipoz4444

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » June 6, 2020, 3:36 pm

Pipoz,
I reckon this is just the start.
I believe by 1 years time, there will be tens, if not hundreds of thousands of hotels for sale in Thailand, and all with no buyers.
Unfortunately
The banks will be suffering already, with the huge amount of non payments being made.
When they get desperate, they will get ruthless, and they will be giving them away.
Unloading them from their books as fast as they can

And, not just Thailand, tourist spots all around the world.
Mick

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 7, 2020, 9:10 am

Vietnam is out the gate and off running when it comes to Tourism
"Vietnam Breaks Out of the Covid Tourist Trap"

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/viet ... 24971.html

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 7, 2020, 11:26 am

mickojak wrote:
June 6, 2020, 3:36 pm
Pipoz,
I reckon this is just the start.
I believe by 1 years time, there will be tens, if not hundreds of thousands of hotels for sale in Thailand, and all with no buyers.
Unfortunately
The banks will be suffering already, with the huge amount of non payments being made.
When they get desperate, they will get ruthless, and they will be giving them away.
Unloading them from their books as fast as they can

And, not just Thailand, tourist spots all around the world.
Mick
Thai banks do not like off loading any property they have on their books at a loss . They would have to show that loss on their accounts , and that would involve loss of face . Hence there are still plenty of half finished properties owned by the banks that go back to the 97 /98 crash

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 7, 2020, 3:35 pm

PM Prayut Chan-o-cha is deliberating a proposal to open up the country to foreign tourists from countries where the coronavirus appears to be under control, officials said Friday.

Tourism minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said PM Prayut has expressed interest in negotiating tourism exchanges with those countries, known as a bubble agreement, which will allow tourists to travel without having to go through the quarantine measures.
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bus ... us-threat/

My principal concerns as a potential tourist are an hour plus in a queue at Swampy with passengers from Covid 19 infested countries. That's a major turn off as is any quarantine on entering Thailand. And the killer is the 14 day quarantine on returning to my country. I can't see that being lifted.

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » June 7, 2020, 3:49 pm

“We will have measures in place for them,” Yuthasak said. “They will need to present their health certificates and insurance policies before boarding their flights to Thailand. They will also need to take a COVID-19 test and download a tracking application upon their arrival. It doesn’t mean that we will drop our guards.”
This might also be of some concern

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » June 7, 2020, 6:11 pm

My mate and wife are currently staying at the Centre Point Hotel Silom, Bangkok.
It's a very big place.
They are the only one's there.

When you consider that this is probably common for all hotels across Thailand, it's very scary.
Future will be disastrous for most, I think.
Sad, but unavoidable now

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 7, 2020, 7:31 pm

Doodoo wrote:
June 7, 2020, 9:10 am
Vietnam is out the gate and off running when it comes to Tourism
"Vietnam Breaks Out of the Covid Tourist Trap"

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/viet ... 24971.html
Doodoo
International borders are still closed. Its domestic tourism only. Same as Thailand should be encouraging now. But who wants to travel to resorts with no bars or entertainment in the wet season. International travel is still a few months away unless you are Chinese (their borders are still closed as well) Some months of pain still to come.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 7, 2020, 8:32 pm

mickojak wrote:
June 7, 2020, 6:11 pm
My mate and wife are currently staying at the Centre Point Hotel Silom, Bangkok.
It's a very big place.
They are the only one's there.

When you consider that this is probably common for all hotels across Thailand, it's very scary.
Future will be disastrous for most, I think.
Sad, but unavoidable now
I second that mickojak, it is just the tip of the iceberg, especially for the Hotel and Restaurant businesses

Whilst the smaller Restaurants may recover a little bit quicker, where they cater to Thai's at more affordable prices the larger Chain type Restaurants and semi Western style ones will be in the doldrums for quite some time.

I doubt that anyone, be it the Thai's or Tourists (those who still have jobs) will be rushing out in droves to spend their money very, very freely. From now on, people will be naturally more cautious, with how much they spend and what they spend it on, partly due to being scared that the Virus will come back and that they might lose their jobs, next time. [-o< [-o<

The Covid 19 has rocked peoples sense of Lifestyle Security, part of which was having a job that they could count on for an extended period of time. So naturally those fortunate enough to still have jobs and those fortunate to get one in the near future, will look to save some money every month for that rainy day. People will no longer go out and spend all their money each month, like many younger ones did before, knowing or feeling comfortable that they had a new paycheck coming at the start of the next month. Certainly, not until the very good times have returned, if they every do. :-k :-k :-k

As for the Hoteliers, well they have another 6 to 12 month of struggling with business, given the slim tourist pickings that will be out there. Sad for many and a number of the smaller Family Hotels/Bed & Breakfast, just won’t survive the lack of revenue. 8-[ 8-[

People will also take less holidays a year and possibly shorter ones at that, for the next 12 months. From a personal point (as an expat working overseas) I have decided to reduce my trips to Thailand in 2021 from 6 per year to 3 maybe 4 per year. And I know of six or more guys that I work with, who have decided to cut their planned travelling in half in year 2021. And that is just a small group that I know. I am sure there are many others contemplating the same thing, i.e. to cut back on expenditure in year 2021. It is just a sign, of the times to come. :-k :-k

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on June 8, 2020, 12:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 7, 2020, 8:46 pm

GT93 wrote:
June 7, 2020, 3:35 pm
PM Prayut Chan-o-cha is deliberating a proposal to open up the country to foreign tourists from countries where the coronavirus appears to be under control, officials said Friday.

Tourism minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said PM Prayut has expressed interest in negotiating tourism exchanges with those countries, known as a bubble agreement, which will allow tourists to travel without having to go through the quarantine measures.
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bus ... us-threat/

My principal concerns as a potential tourist are an hour plus in a queue at Swampy with passengers from Covid 19 infested countries. That's a major turn off as is any quarantine on entering Thailand. And the killer is the 14 day quarantine on returning to my country. I can't see that being lifted.
14 days quarantines at either end of a journey will kill airlines, required business travel and tourism. There has to be a better way.

Medical checks and maybe a COVID 19 passport may offer an alternative. Although others on this forum ripped into me a few weeks ago when I suggested the same.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”