A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Barney » April 4, 2021, 12:27 pm

ON THIS DAY – 4th April

1820 – The foundation stone was laid for what later becomes the magnificent Queen Victoria Building in Sydney.

1845 – The cutter ‘Americana’ was wrecked in the Torres Strait, the sole survivor, Barbara Thompson, lives with the local indigenous people until 1849.

1846 – The first payable gold discovery in South Australia, giving rise to the first Australian gold mine. (Five years before the official discovery of gold in Australia at Bathurst.)

1923 – The Country Women's Association held its first annual conference.

1929 –A dam on the Cascade River in Tasmania collapsed. The subsequent torrent floods the town of Derby, killing fourteen people.

1967 – The Australian government announced it will not ban the oral contraceptive pill, maintaining that the risk of thrombosis is "very slight".

1978 – Cyclone Alby killed 5 people in Western Australia.

1979 – Domico Speranza hijacked a Pan-Am plane at Sydney Airport for 4 1/2 hours until shot dead by police.

1996 – The Wiggles' sixth album, Wake up Jeff was released.

Pictured:
York Street looking south c1875 By Bernard Otto Holtermann (SLNSW) – Top Left
A share note issued by the Victoria Mining Company on 1st October 1846. (SLSA) – Top Right
The Tamar River as seen from the steps leading to the Zig Zag track with Kings Bridge in the foreground. Royal Park is across the river under water. (The Weekly Courier April 10, 1929) – Bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » April 4, 2021, 12:46 pm

Thanks barney for your efforts, keep them coming. Nice to reflect on the history that makes our great country what it is today.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 4, 2021, 1:03 pm

Do these reports deliberately overlook Aboriginal history?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 4, 2021, 1:30 pm

GT93 wrote:
April 4, 2021, 1:03 pm
GT,

Sadly most aboriginal history was never able to be accurately recorded until recently. The only early recordings where when when there was white interaction, and a lot of that was very confronting. There are some excellent books like The Secret River, Koori and the Red Chief that were a mixture of novel and interwoven historical facts.

If you are looking for an aboriginal account of the early history, we are all out of luck. It would have been fascinating what that might have been in the late 18th century.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 4, 2021, 3:02 pm

Whistler wrote:
April 4, 2021, 1:30 pm
GT93 wrote:
GT,

Sadly most aboriginal history was never able to be accurately recorded until recently. The only early recordings where when when there was white interaction, and a lot of that was very confronting. There are some excellent books like The Secret River, Koori and the Red Chief that were a mixture of novel and interwoven historical facts.

If you are looking for an aboriginal account of the early history, we are all out of luck. It would have been fascinating what that might have been in the late 18th century.

I can see the screaming headlines in the Gadigal News 'TURN BACK THE BOATS' and Alenga Jonisburra on Barangaroo talk back radio complaining that the immigrants were all criminals and rapists.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 5, 2021, 5:57 am

ON THIS DAY – 5th April

1932 – Racehorse Phar Lap died midday at ranch in San Francisco, two weeks after winning at Agua Caliente racetrack (2 autopsies found nothing; however, trees had been sprayed with a lead–arsenate insecticide); it was 6 April at 10:30 am in Australia when the news spreads.

1987 – It was announced that Newcastle will join the NSWRL in 1988. They are later joined by Brisbane and the Gold Coast to form a 16-team competition.

Pictured:
Phar Lap with jockey Jim Pike riding at Flemington race track c 1930. (Wiki) – Top
Phar Lap winning the Melbourne Cup Race from Second Wind and Shadow individual on 4 November 1930. (Picture Australia) – Bottom Left
Phar Lap (Horse Betting) – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 6, 2021, 5:07 am

ON THIS DAY – 6th April

1844 – John Gavin was the first European settler to be legally executed in Western Australia. Gavin, a fifteen-year-old apprentice, was found guilty of the murder of his employer's son, George Pollard.

1860 – Capt. Charles Stuart named Chambers Pillar, in central Australia.

1895 – The song Waltzing Matilda was first performed at the North Gregory Hotel, Winton, Queensland.

1914 – The Hawthorn Football Club joined the Victorian Football Association.

1942 – The American 41st Infantry Division arrived in Australia. During World War II one million Americans were stationed in Australia.

1987 – Long running UK children's television series Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends first telecast on the ABC.

1989 – CEO of the Victorian Division of the National Safety Council John Friedrichs was captured in Perth after 17 days on the run. He was initially charged with one count of obtaining financial advantage by deception. On 1 November, he was charged on a further 91 counts of obtaining property by deception.

1991 – Cricketer Bill Ponsford died aged 90. Ponsford broke the world record twice for the highest first-class score.

1992 – Peter Sterling announced his retirement from rugby league due to injury.

2000 – Train carriages derailed at Redfern, Sydney. No passengers are involved.

Pictured:
Waltzing Matilda (The Big Smoke) – Top
Hawthorn enters the Victorian Football Association (VFA.) The word ‘City’ dropped from official Club name. Brown & Gold colours adopted, guernsey now brown with round yoke and HFC initials in gold. (Hawthorn Football Club) – Bottom Right
Peter Sterling - National Rugby League Hall Of Fame. (NRL) – Bottom Left

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 7, 2021, 3:52 pm

One of our toughest goes.

He was criticised for being sent off in a test match and said
They should give me a medal. I was sent off but at least took 2 poms with me.

https://youtu.be/4NQJxnD5T5Y

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 7, 2021, 4:14 pm

ON THIS DAY – 7th April
1780 – Colourful character Jorgen Jorgenson, whaler, English spy and convict, was born.

1815 – Bathurst, New South Wales was founded following its discovery by George Evans.

1826 – Australia's first street lamp was erected in Macquarie Place, Sydney – it burned whale oil.

1835 – Major Thomas Mitchell sets out from Boree Station on his second expedition, determined to discredit the discoveries made by Sturt. The expeditions purpose was to chart the course of the Darling River which Sturt had discovered some years earlier. Mitchell was determined to prove Sturt wrong in the latter's belief that the river flowed southward into the Murray, as Mitchell believed it must flow northwest. After travelling for several months and following the Darling for almost 500km, Mitchell was forced to admit that Sturt was indeed correct.

1841 – Edward John Eyre became the first European to cross the Nullarbor Plain. He arrived in Western Australia with Wylie, an indigenous Australian who accompanied him. Eyre left Fowlers Bay, South Australia on 25 February and reached Albany, Western Australia on 7 July.

1851 – Edward Hargraves proclaimed the discovery of gold at Ophir, New South Wales. A court later decided that Hargraves companions William Tom and John Lister found the gold.

1896 – Edwin Flack won gold medals in the 800-metre and 1500 metre events, and bronze in the tennis doubles at the Games of the 1st Olympiad. He was the only Australian competitor at these games.

1939 – Prime Minister Joseph Lyons died of a sudden heart attack. He was the first Prime Minister to die in office. Sir Earle Page, the leader of the Country Party was appointed caretaker Prime Minister until the United Australia Party could elect a new leader.

1941 – The Women's Royal Australian Naval Service (WRANS) was formed.

1966 – New South Wales repealed the Sunday Observance Act, allowing theatres and cinemas to open, sporting events to charge admission and clubs to sell alcohol on Sundays.

1967 – Australian military adviser Major Peter Badcoe was killed in action in Vietnam during an operation in Hương Trà District with the 1st ARVN Division Reaction Company. He was awarded the Victoria Cross for bravery, conspicuous gallantry and leadership on more than one occasion.

1998 – Patrick Corporation sacked 2,000 dock workers to try to improve efficiency on the waterfront. In response, the Maritime Union of Australia staged possibly the largest industrial dispute Australia has ever seen. In the end, the jobs were restored to the workers in exchange for improvements in efficiency.

Pictured:
Jørgen Jørgensen [Eckersberg] (Wiki) – Top Middle
Edwin Flack in Athens in 1896 (Wiki) – Left
Telegraphist ratings of the Women's Royal Australian Naval Service (WRANS) equipped with gas respirators during World War II. (Royal Australian Navy) – Bottom
Major Peter John Badcoe (AWM) – Top Right

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 7, 2021, 4:35 pm

Barney wrote:
April 7, 2021, 3:52 pm

https://youtu.be/4NQJxnD5T5
Tommy Raudonikis OAM, passed away today at 70yo. The Aussie rugby league legend and larakin will be missed by rugby league fans in Australia, even the Qld Maroons will be shedding tears. RIP great man. Sporting authorities are already talking about the new name of SOO, The Beetson Raudonikis Shield, very fitting.
Last edited by Sport on April 7, 2021, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 7, 2021, 4:42 pm

Barney wrote:
April 7, 2021, 4:14 pm
ON THIS DAY – 7th April

1835 – Major Thomas Mitchell sets out from Boree Station on his second expedition, determined to discredit the discoveries made by Sturt. The expeditions purpose was to chart the course of the Darling River which Sturt had discovered some years earlier. Mitchell was determined to prove Sturt wrong in the latter's belief that the river flowed southward into the Murray, as Mitchell believed it must flow northwest. After travelling for several months and following the Darling for almost 500km, Mitchell was forced to admit that Sturt was indeed correct.

One of Australias most beautiful birds, the Major Mitchell cockatoo or Wee Jugler was named by the Major.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 7, 2021, 5:20 pm

Couple of good posts sport.
A very majestic bird indeed.
But just one of our cockatoo.

https://images.app.goo.gl/2jbF8Ap2V3R9qACR6

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 7, 2021, 5:57 pm

Barney wrote:
April 7, 2021, 3:52 pm

https://youtu.be/4NQJxnD5T5Y

You will see in his obituary he served in the RAAF as an apprentice, a year below myself.
As a 16 yo to see him on the rugby field was to see something very special, this guy was going places and that didn't include an RAAF career - which it didn't!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 7, 2021, 6:28 pm

Where was that at
Richmond base ???

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 7, 2021, 6:35 pm

I believe he was posted to Richmond in 1969 on graduating out of Wagga (2 & 1/2 of the worst years of anyone's young lives) hence his progression to Western Suburbs.
I was posted in 1968 from Wagga to Newcastle - one s h i t hole to the next!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » April 7, 2021, 7:04 pm

Barney wrote:
April 7, 2021, 6:28 pm
Where was that at
Richmond base ???
It was Richmond Barney. Both Tom and my mate worked together as Air Frame Fitters?, and both played 1st grade RL. Both got out after 6 yrs with their qualifacations, and neither of them knew negative from positive, they played RL at high levels and were looked after. I spoke with Tom a couple of months ago and you could not fully understand what he was saying, bloody cancer. Tom told me to back this horse, 'Fisticups', so I checked and it was Toms. I spoke to his mate this morning and he was sad that he passed, but said they had great times in the RAAF. Tom would come down to the Hawkesbury races and they got on the turps and had great times up until a few years ago. TR will be surely missed.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 8, 2021, 4:48 am

Whistler wrote:
April 4, 2021, 1:30 pm
GT93 wrote:
GT,

Sadly most aboriginal history was never able to be accurately recorded until recently.
Makes one wonder how the claims for land rights ever get through.
In my local area when I was growing up, there were no remaining tribal groups.
There were many discussions on the subject and the result was they had all died out.
Then in the late 90's a claim was put on a river island here and ever since, it has been a no-go area here except for some of the so-called rightful owners.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 8, 2021, 5:41 pm

ON THIS DAY – 8th April

1802 – Matthew Flinders met the French explorer Nicolas Baudin at Encounter Bay.

1817 – Australia's first bank, the Bank of New South Wales was established.

1867 – Arthur Streeton, an artist and member of the famous Heidelberg School of Australian artists, was born in Mount Duneed, Victoria.

1930 – Brisbane City Hall was officially opened.

1933 – A referendum was held in Western Australia, which was carried 2 to 1 in favour of secession from the Commonwealth of Australia.

1964 – The Jackson–Moonie–Brisbane oil pipeline opened.

1968 – Fluoridation of Sydney's water supply began.

1975 – After 21 hours of bitter debate in the Victorian Legislative Assembly, a Bill to abolish the death penalty was passed 36:30, with 5 abstentions.

1982 – The XPT (Express Passenger Train) commenced operation in New South Wales.

Pictured:
Portrait of Nicolas Baudin. (SLSA) – Bottom Left
Bank of New South Wales, head office, 1822–53. State Library of NSW, Government Printing Office 1 – 17946. (NMA) – Top
InterCity XPT (Auscision Models) – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 10, 2021, 10:33 am

ON THIS DAY – 10th April

1811 – Australia's first toll road opened.

1851 – The NSW Association for Preventing the Renewal of Transportation sent a petition to Queen Victoria.

1941 – The Siege of Tobruk began. For most of the siege Tobruk was defended by the Australian 9th Division under General Sir Leslie Morshead.

1967 – The ninth Logie Awards were held on board the TSS Fairstar cruise ship. Graham Kennedy wins his third Gold Logie.

1967 – ‘This Day Tonight’, Australia's first national nightly TV current affairs program, premiered on ABC-TV, hosted by Bill Peach.

1981 – The TV Week Logie Awards aired on Ten for the first time. It was the first time that the Logies had not been screened on the Nine Network.

1996 – Fastest wind speed ever recorded (not a tornado) 408 km/h (220 kn; 253 mph; 113 m/s) during tropical cyclone Olivia on Barrow Island, Australia

Pictured:
New Toll Gate, Parramatta Road. / Printed, Published and Sold by J. G. Austin, 13, Hunter St. c 1836. (Mitchell Library, SLNSW) – Top
In his element: compere Bill Peach on the set of This Day Tonight in 1969. (NAA) – Bottom Right
Gold Logie displayed at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney (Wiki) – Bottom Left

408 km/hr or 113 mtrs/ sec. now that’s a quick gust of wind.
I’ve only experienced and sat through cyclone Orson at 260 km/hr for a few hours in the north west of Aussie.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 11, 2021, 6:09 pm

ON THIS DAY – 11th April
1856 – At a public meeting in Melbourne, Dr Thomas Embling repeated the slogan "eight hours labour, eight hours recreation, eight hours rest".

1866 – Bernard Patrick O'Dowd, Australian poet, activist, lawyer and journalist was born.

1921 – Bert Hinkler flew from Sydney to Bundaberg non-stop, breaking his own long-distance flying record.

1934 – Charles Ulm successfully delivered the first airmail from Australia to New Zealand.

1979 – A truck drivers' blockade, which had disrupted the eastern states for 10 days, ended. The truck drivers had been protesting against state road taxes and low cartage rates.

1982 – Business entrepreneur and adventurer Dick Smith made a record solo helicopter flight from Sydney to Bundaberg.

1983 – News of "spy flights" by Royal Australian Air Force aircraft over Tasmania under orders from Minister Gareth Evans sparked outrage.

1986 – The Arbitration Commission found that the Builders' Labourers Federation was guilty of serious industrial misconduct and the union is deregistered.

1997 – Pauline Hanson launched the One Nation party in Ipswich, Queensland.

Pictured:
Eight-hour day banner, Melbourne, 1856 – Top
Bernard O'Dowd photograph c. 1904. (SLV) – Bottom Left
Dick Smith in his sleeping bag in front of the helicopter that took him around the world in 1982 (ABC) – Bottom Right

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”