Post by GT93 » March 29, 2021, 6:52 am

It's great to see Australia moving forward from this kind of shxt:

Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: A little ray of sunshine from Australia

Post by Barney » March 29, 2021, 7:42 am

ON THIS DAY – 29th March

1841 – The isolated town of Eyre was named, after Edward John Eyre's party finds freshwater two metres below the sandy surface.

1901 – The first federal election was held to elect the first members of the House of Representatives and the first members of the Senate. Sir Edmund Barton was officially elected as the first Prime Minister of Australia.

1935 – 141 people drowned when a cyclone struck the pearling fleet off the coast of Broome, Western Australia.

1982 – The Sydney Swans, the first VFL club outside Victoria played their first home game at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG).

Pictured:
Edward John Eyre, from a drawing by Witki 1845 (SLSA) – Top Right
Edmund Barton (NLA) – Top Left
Swans first 'home' game at SCG (Sydney Swans)- Bottom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 29, 2021, 7:51 am

1982 – The Sydney Swans, the first VFL club outside Victoria played their first home game at the Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG).
Where is Warrick Capper in his ball crunching, tight little shorts? :shock: (The trend for that era 55555)
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 29, 2021, 7:58 am

^ This is maybe back around 1980 but wasn't it you that called it some form of "mobile ballet" one evening while we were all drinking piss after work on GSI crew 1854, camped outside Blackall?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 29, 2021, 8:01 am

I last bumped into Warwick at the Coolongatta Airport about 8 years ago. I was having a coffee and a chat with an old Rugby League mate, Warwick recognised my mate as he used to be Australia's RL captain so came over to join us. He is a really big unit now, still looks pretty fit but well North of 125KG. He talks very blokey, nice enough but did not strike me as super intelligent.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 29, 2021, 8:16 am

tamada wrote:
March 29, 2021, 7:58 am
^ This is maybe back around 1980 but wasn't it you that called it some form of "mobile ballet" one evening while we were all drinking piss after work on GSI crew 1854, camped outside Blackall?
Definitely having a beer or 3 but no, that'd be one of the many Queenslanders we had on the crew at the time. All one eyed rugby league supporters.
nice enough but did not strike me as super intelligent.
I think his shorts caused permanent damage as detailed in the 1980s "spoof":- Wired World of Sports!

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » March 29, 2021, 5:08 pm

Whistler, jumping to conclusions sits well on your shoulders. Why did you draw the conclusion that the incident referred to occurred in Newcastle. Why did you draw the conclusion that the matter should be listed on Austlii. For your information, Austlii cases are archived from 1993 forward. The case referred to occurred in Ballarat in 1987/88. The name Verhey had the false allegation made against him. This is the last time l will comment on this matter as hopefully, if the matter of Brittany versus her alleged assailant makes it to trial, the evidence will be tested and the decision whether it supports or rejects her claims is made, we all come to accept the outcome.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 29, 2021, 6:35 pm

trekkertony wrote:
March 29, 2021, 5:08 pm
Whistler, jumping to conclusions sits well on your shoulders. Why did you draw the conclusion that the incident referred to occurred in Newcastle. Why did you draw the conclusion that the matter should be listed on Austlii. For your information, Austlii cases are archived from 1993 forward. The case referred to occurred in Ballarat in 1987/88. The name Verhey had the false allegation made against him. This is the last time l will comment on this matter as hopefully, if the matter of Brittany versus her alleged assailant makes it to trial, the evidence will be tested and the decision whether it supports or rejects her claims is made, we all come to accept the outcome.
I think you mean archived prior to 1993

- Austlii goes back to the the beginning of the 20th Century, still online

https://www.austlii.edu.au/database-all.html

- CCTV was anything but common in 1987 and limited in use as the recording medium was limited to VCR tapes at that time where tapes had to be swapped every couple of hours, the chances of a 'licensed premises' in Ballarat have CCTV in 1987 is remote. Besides, if there was CCTV proof, it would never have waited until a court case.

Was the 1988 date plucked out of the air because it was prior to your assumption of a 1993 archive?

Watching a girl touching you on CCTV may have met the 'reasonable doubt' criteria and lead to a dismissal of the charges, but it would still not be sufficient to prosecute for perjury. For that to happen the prosecution would have to prove the sex was consensual. The girl was probably intoxicated and could claim no memory of touching, this would not meet the high onus of proof for perjury which is a rare occurrence in most countries.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 29, 2021, 7:36 pm

tamada wrote:
March 29, 2021, 7:58 am
And yep, just incase you are wondering @tamada and I go back to 1980, he was my boss and more importantly mentor and instructor as I went through a career change from industrial process control to seismic data acquisition.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 30, 2021, 3:40 am

ON THIS DAY – 30th March

1772 – Lieutenant Louis Aleno de St Aloüarn of the French Navy made the first claim of sovereignty over Western Australia by a European power, at Turtle Bay, Dirk Hartog Island.

1791 – Convict James Ruse was given the first land grant in the colony of New South Wales.

1816 – Convict architect Francis Greenway was appointed Civil Architect and Assistant Engineer to the colonial government.

1908 – Commonwealth Quarantine service came into operation and took over quarantine stations in every state.

1932 – The Grey Street Bridge was officially opened in Brisbane by the Governor of Queensland, Sir John Goodwin.

1985 – Sallyanne Atkinson was elected as Brisbane’s Lord Mayor, the first woman to hold the post and the first woman Lord Mayor in Australia.

Pictured:
Rose Hill c. 1791 (Dixson Galleries, SLNSW) – Bottom Left
Francis Greenway (Wiki) – Bottom Right
Opening of the Grey Street Bridge, Brisbane 30 March 1932 (SLQ) – Top

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 30, 2021, 6:36 am

The New South Wales Parliament in action:

The next day, September 24, 2019 the woman texted him a topless photo of herself, to which he responded: "Hmmm … not fair. I'm sitting in the chamber with a hard on now! Xxx"

Hansard shows that at the time, he was in the Lower House during a debate on water restrictions.

Official video from the NSW Parliamentary Library shows Mr Johnsen in the chamber at 5.30pm texting on his mobile phone ...
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-30/ ... /100036294

:lol:

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 31, 2021, 3:43 am

ON THIS DAY – 31st March

1909 – Victoria was the last Australian state to grant women's suffrage.

1921 – The Australian Air Force was formed. individual George V approved the prefix "Royal" in June 1921 and became effective on 31 August 1921.

1928 – The first Australian Grand Prix motor race was held at Phillip Island.

1938 – Xavier Herbert won the Commonwealth 150th anniversary literary award for his novel Capricornia.

1965 – Merle Thorton and Rosalie Bogner chained their ankles to the front bar of the Regatta Hotel in Brisbane in protest against the Queensland liquor laws that banned women from pubs.

1977 – The Conciliation and Arbitration Commission’s wage decision was handed down. The Commission indicated that it would hold an inquiry into various aspects of wage fixation. The Commission introduced a $5.70 a week increase on prices, prompting the Treasurer, Mr Lynch to say that the decision would ****** the fight against inflation.

1985 – In excess of 300,000 people throughout Australia marched in the Palm Sunday anti-nuclear rallies.

1989 – Phase 1 of Aggregation of television services occurred in Southern NSW, with WIN Television becoming a regional Nine Network affiliate, Prime Television becoming the Seven Network affiliate & Capital Television (now Southern Cross Ten) becoming the Network Ten affiliate.

1995 – The Super League war began. Lightning raids began across the country to sign players on vastly inflated contracts. The Kerry Packer backed ARL responded by signing 50 players onto equally inflated contracts on 2 April.

2007 – In Sydney, Australia, 2.2 million people took part in the first Earth Hour.

Pictured:
RAAF officers in front of two Westland Wapiti bombers 1935 (SLNSW) – Bottom Right
Xavier Herbert, 1 April 1938, the day he received news of winning the Sesquicentenary Library Prize (SLNSW) – Bottom Right
Mrs Thornton and Mrs Bogner's protest (Sunday Truth - SLQ) – Top

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2021, 5:23 am

^ Did Merle and Rosalie get a drink or are they still waiting?

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » March 31, 2021, 1:03 pm

Well done to our Air Force military force.

https://www.facebook.com/australiaintha ... 308128435/

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 1, 2021, 12:37 am

The ruling conservative Liberal Party’s vice president, Teena McQueen, apologized after a local news outlet, the Age, reported that she had allegedly told several party colleagues she would “kill to be sexually harassed at the moment.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html

The Washington Post is keeping an eye on prominent Aussie loons ...

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 1, 2021, 4:08 am

ON THIS DAY – 1st April

1789 – Smallpox broke out in Sydney.

1794 – John MacArthur received a further grant of 100 acres (0.40 km2) at Parramatta.

1852 – The Nelson robbery took place in Hobsons Bay. The Nelson robbery was one of the major crimes of the Victorian gold rush. It involved the robbery at gunpoint of 8,183 ounces of gold valued at about £30,000 by a party of thieves from the barque Nelson as she lay at anchor in Hobsons Bay off Melbourne on the night of 1–2 April 1852.

1874 – John Forrest began an expedition from Geraldton, Western Australia across the Gibson Desert to the Peake telegraph station in South Australia.

1876 – A letter was published in the Melbourne Argus by Captain John Mason of Belfast, Victoria concerning the Warrnambool Mahogany Ship. The Mahogany Ship refers to a putative early Australian shipwreck that is believed by some to lie beneath the sand in the Armstrong Bay area, approximately 3 to 6 kilometres west of Warrnambool in southwest Victoria, Australia. In many modern accounts it is described as a Spanish or Portuguese caravel after the wreck was associated with the proposition of Portuguese discovery of Australia by Kenneth McIntyre in his 1977 book The Secret Discovery of Australia.

1877 – A settlement on Thursday Island was established for the refuelling of steam ships.

1885 – The Cabinet of South Australia metto discuss the "Russian scare"—the fear that South Australia would come under attack from Russian warships should hostilities between Russia and Britain over Afghanistan result in war.

1897 – Aboriginal tracker Jandamurra was killed. Jandamurra, or 'Pigeon', was an Australian Aboriginal police tracker assisting in the capture of Myall Aborigines of the Kimberley region in northwestern Australia, who were spearing stockmen and their stock. Over the course of several evenings, Jandamurra was helping to guard the Aborigines in the police station overnight. During this time, they managed to convince Jandamurra to join their cause. Jandamurra shot the police constable and freed the Aborigines. He then led the others in an attack on a convoy of white settlers, thus procuring horses, guns and other supplies, eluding capture by hiding in the caves and surroundings of isolated Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek. The rebellion lasted several years. After a failed police attempt to capture them in 1894 the police recruited an Aboriginal tracker from the Pilbara. This tracker, who knew the ways of Aboriginal mysticism and had no fear of Jandamurra, tracked down Jandamurra, killing him at Tunnel Creek on 1 April 1897.

1923 – A particularly dry month over south-eastern Australia due to a persistent block sees the driest month on record over Victoria with only 1.54 millimetres or 0.061 inches and Tasmania with only 7.95 millimetres or 0.31 inches. Melbourne had its only rainless month since at least 1855.

1938 – New monthly newspaper ‘Abo Call’ began publication in Sydney, focusing on issues of Aboriginal rights and edited by activist Jack Patten.

1947 – The Woomera rocket range was established in South Australia as a testing site for British and Australian missiles.

1968 – American evangelist Billy Graham began a tour of Australia.

1997 – This was the driest area-averaged month since at least 1900 over New South Wales, with an average of 3.23 millimetres or 0.13 inches, and over the Murray-Darling Basin, with an average of 1.99 millimetres or 0.078 inches.

Pictured:
View of the Heads, at the entrance into Port Jackson, about 1822, is one of many idealised depictions of Sydney and local Aboriginals painted by Joseph Lycett. (Art Gallery of NSW) – Top
Forrest as portrayed by Talma & Co. in 1874 (NLA) – Bottom Left
Illustration by Terry Denton, from the book Jandamarra written by Marc Greenwood, Allen & Unwin, 2013. – Bottom Right

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 2, 2021, 6:24 am

ON THIS DAY – 2nd April

1787 – Charter of Justice signed providing the authority for the establishment of the first New South Wales Courts of Criminal and Civil Jurisdiction.

1844 – The first permanent synagogue in Australia opened in Sydney.

1845 – Ludwig Leichhardt named the Burdekin River.

1856 – South Australia introduced the secret ballot.

1874 – A major strike was held at Moonta Mines in South Australia.

1905 – The Tasmanian General Post Office opened in Hobart, Tasmania.

1920 – Edward, Prince of Wales arrived in the country to thank Australians for the part they played in World War I.

1977 – The National Soccer League kicked off, as the first league of any football code to become national. The opening game saw West Adelaide defeat Canberra City 3–1 at Manuka Oval in Canberra.

Pictured:
Moonta, date unknown (National Trust SA Moonta Branch) – Top
The Prince of Wales inspects the guard of honour with Governor-General Ronald Ferguson, Sydney16 June 1920 (SLNSW) – Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 3, 2021, 6:36 am

ON THIS DAY – 3rd April

1839 – William Light was replaced by Charles Sturt as Surveyor-General of South Australia.

1848 – Explorer Ludwig Leichhardt was last seen on the Darling Downs. On that date he wrote a letter from MacPherson's Station, Cogoon. Leichhardt had set off for Swan River.

1911 –The first national population census. The day used for the census, was taken for the night between 2 and 3 April 1911. The total population of the Commonwealth of Australia was counted as 4,455,005.

1954 – Vladimir Petrov, a Soviet diplomat, defected to Australia, sparking the Petrov Affair.

1958 – A cyclone destroyed most of the town of Bowen in Queensland.

1964 – The Beatles held the top 6 spots on Sydney Australia record charts.

1977 –Countdown celebrated 100 episodes. Ian "Molly" Meldrum felt tired and emotional so regulars Daryl Braithwaite & John Paul Young both filled in for Meldrum for the last part of the show.

Pictured:
Portrait of Ludwig Leichhardt (Wiki) – Top Left
Vladimir Petrov inside the safe house in which he was held with his wife Evdokia Petrov following their defection to Australia (NAA) – Top Right
The Beatles, clockwise from top, Ringo Starr, John Lennon, George Harrison and Paul McCartney, perform on CBS’ “Ed Sullivan Show” in New York on Feb. 9, 1964. (LA Times) – Bottom

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » April 4, 2021, 11:47 am

Today marks the 27th anniversary of the opening of the Thai-Laos Friendship bridge – the first major bridge across the lower Mekong – which links the town of Nong Khai in Thailand with the capital of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Vientiane.

The Australian Government provided $42 million for the feasibility studies, design and construction of the bridge between 1991 and 1994.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 4, 2021, 12:18 pm

GT93 wrote:
March 29, 2021, 6:52 am
It's great to see Australia moving forward from this kind of shxt:

Frankly I prefer this one

But this one was hilarious

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”