A Scathing Indictment of the UK Prime Minister

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: A Scathing Indictment of the UK Prime Minister

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2021, 11:21 am

If Bojo & Co had handled it right 12 months ago there would not have been such an urgent need for a vaccine.
How many cases has UK had? ...... how many has Thailand had? ....... how many deaths?

but ... but Thailand hasn't vaccinated 17.5 million people

Isn't it a coincidence that US & UK (probably the two leading countries for treating money like the ultimate god) have the worst covid response records in the world

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » February 23, 2021, 2:12 pm

DM and Co stoking the hatred you keep pumping out of me gloating here gloating there as you 2 seam to know the fact lets look at facts before you accuse me of the old thai bashing. A simple answer is all is needed. A Has thailand paid for the cheap Chinese Vaccine, bearing in mind you know who realeased this virus on the World?. 2 Will Expats be offered the vaccine the same time as the thai locals? 3 why will you be charged for the vaccine when the local population will be Vaccinated free of charge. I did not pull these facts out of the air. The thai goverment bought it not me. Who's decistion was it to innoculate the local's first and probably free bearing in mind Issan rural lives live as farmers and will not be able to pay for a vaccine. As for DMs gloat about thailands prevention what are the locals protesting for against the Goverment? And why were more than likely North eastern people in rural communities not even tested because of the cost?. So before you carry on your bash britain campaign look closer to your chosen home. I am big enough to face up to the truth and say yes we were let down by the advice given by our voted in PM who made bad mistakes we know that, as i have stated in another thread we cannot change what mistakes were made but we can change the future. You 2 will just carry on bashing the uk because its easy to blame them for past mistakes. I suppose i could say why should you be even bothered about the Uk DM you turned your back on it, or are you a Tad jealouse you will be waiting a long time to be vaccinated when most in the Uk will have had there 1st jab before the end of july.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 23, 2021, 3:40 pm

Maybe it's a coincidence but, like Vlad, I'm in the UK and, I tend to agree with aspects of his comments. Just to put you guys right on one thing, the PPE thing is the main discussion point on all major news channels.

There is no reasonable comparison between the responses of UK/US and Thailand. In the West, people complain too much about their rights and, if the Government had imposed restrictions, there would have been an outcry. Witness the different viewpoints about border restrictions and Xmas. The airline and retail industries defended their personal interests resulting in compromise.

In contrast to your family and friends in the UK DM, most people I know accept that the Government has done a reasonable job. A Government lead by Starmer or, God forbid, Corbyn dealing with this doesnt bear thinking about.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 23, 2021, 3:54 pm

samster wrote:
February 23, 2021, 3:40 pm
Maybe it's a coincidence but, like Vlad, I'm in the UK and, I tend to agree with aspects of his comments. Just to put you guys right on one thing, the PPE thing is the main discussion point on all major news channels.

There is no reasonable comparison between the responses of UK/US and Thailand. In the West, people complain too much about their rights and, if the Government had imposed restrictions, there would have been an outcry. Witness the different viewpoints about border restrictions and Xmas. The airline and retail industries defended their personal interests resulting in compromise.

In contrast to your family and friends in the UK DM, most people I know accept that the Government has done a reasonable job. A Government lead by Starmer or, God forbid, Corbyn dealing with this doesnt bear thinking about.

Fair points and nicely worded Samster , not the slightest tone of somnumnar for living in Thailand as vlad seems to hint , we are all entitled to our opinions and I can only go on the thoughts of the people im in contact with .. i most certainly agree with the point ive highlighted in red.

Stay safe young man ... looks like March 8th lock down ends ?? pubs etc open again in April if i read correctly.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 23, 2021, 4:06 pm

Brit pubs etc re opening is great news for our Bizz here as it means breweries like Moorland, Green individual etc who are our suppliers will start to produce and keg products for the local market and export ..instead of only getting cans which has been the case the last few months.

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2021, 4:38 pm

Not sure about others on here, but I'm very happy to have spent the last 12 months in Thailand rather than UK.
Everyone I talk to back in blighty seem to think we "have it made" here with only a few cases a over the whole country whilst they have more cases in a tiny village EVERY DAY. (Thailand and UK have roughly the same population)
"There is no reasonable comparison between the responses of UK/US and Thailand. In the West, people complain too much about their rights and, if the Government had imposed restrictions, there would have been an outcry. "

Funny that all the complaining that was was done about the govt PPE response, got exactly .... nowhere, coz they couldn't give a damn about the people or their complaints, they just went ahead and broke the law to line their own pockets.
Don't even go there with "peoples rights", as one of the Prime reasons for Brexit was to remove the rights of individuals to get a fair hearing in ECHR [-X
If it suited their needs Bojo & Co would have had no problem imposing any amount of restrictions, they even changed the law to give themselves a "free hand" , but knowing their donors/benefactors would have been less than impressed they settled for the disaster that "compromise" produced whilst others bit the bullet, upset many of the rich/famous and big business, and have found themselves in a much better position

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 23, 2021, 5:13 pm

Funny - and I refer back to the OP - plenty of people outside the UK believe that the Tory government handling of the pandemic has been a tragic shambles.

Particularly when you compare it to more advanced nations such as Oz/NZ/Sing/Thailand et al.

On another note, I always find it amusing when people declare with some certainty what would have happened had the "other mob" been in power - when in fact they weren't.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 23, 2021, 5:28 pm

I respect your opinion Stats. My own experience tells me that there is equal cronyism in all politicians. Boris is no worse and no better than others.

As for your comment JS, there is no certainty for me as to the "other mob". I have no political affiliation but, the very basis of a Government to the left of centre is their desire to please everyone. That cannot work in a crisis like this. Hard decisions have to be made which would have been a disaster for the politics of the left.

The fact that a Government (UK and US), which is right of centre, had to make decisions that are alien to their beliefs has created the apparent muddled thinking.

The reason "advanced" nations such as Thailand, Australia etc have done well is partly down to 2 factors. The first is that some countries are able to dictate measures that would not be acceptable to "less advanced" democratic nations such as the UK and US. The second is geographical.

My opinion and I am pleased that I live in a society where I can espouse it without recriminiation

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 23, 2021, 5:43 pm

samster wrote:
February 23, 2021, 5:28 pm

As for your comment JS, there is no certainty for me as to the "other mob". I have no political affiliation but, the very basis of a Government to the left of centre is their desire to please everyone. That cannot work in a crisis like this. Hard decisions have to be made which would have been a disaster for the politics of the left.
Not sure how that stacks up to examination, samster.

In Australia, it has been the Labor governed states (WA, Qld, Vic and NT) which have made the hardest decisions to protect their states - much to the chagrin of their Tory counterparts at Commonwealth and NSW levels.

In NZ, Ms Ardern also leads a Labour government.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2021, 6:17 pm

"The second is geographical."

What, like there are no streams or forests where people can sneek accross the border undetected.
Would have thought that being an island surrounded by miles of water would give a bit of an advantage when in came to keeping a virus out of your population.
Whilst agreeing that there are bad politicians in all partys, I cannot agree that Bojo is no worse than most ..... having lived and worked in London whilst he was corrupting the mayoral office, I have to disagree

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 23, 2021, 6:46 pm

jackspratt wrote:
February 23, 2021, 5:43 pm
samster wrote:
February 23, 2021, 5:28 pm

Not sure how that stacks up to examination, samster.

In Australia, it has been the Labor governed states (WA, Qld, Vic and NT) which have made the hardest decisions to protect their states - much to the chagrin of their Tory counterparts at Commonwealth and NSW levels.

In NZ, Ms Ardern also leads a Labour government.
Well said that man. Let's have no more talk about the perpetually unlikely Starmer hypothetical and the totally abstruse Corbyn deflection. If one considers either one of those as a valid counter to those pointing out the cracks in the Tories seat-of-their-pants-and winging it pandemic handling, I hope you have LOTS of Pollyfilla.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 23, 2021, 7:19 pm

Geographical?

The Australian island closed their international borders to all foreigners and made it very hard for their citizens to re-enter or leave. They even closed state borders and quickly enacted and enforced laws for breaching these controls.

The U.K. island on the other hand...

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2021, 8:42 pm

"The U.K. island on the other hand..."

Probably handed planning permission to one of its doners to build a 24 hr Mc Corona half way through the Channel Tunnel?

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » February 23, 2021, 9:14 pm

Statts, its apparent you will only listen when you have a bullet to fire at the uk goverment so theres little point in argueing anymore on this thread. IF your having a go at our Goverment your mate portrays me as anti thai which i stated all along is wrong but your not interestrd in that so for the final time on our poor border control yes its wrong nd we should have done what Sturgeon did and lockdown anyone entering the uk. On border controls who and why were currupt officials on the thai border allowing illegals into thailand that spread covid in Bkk. I have also told you we know our goverment let us down but again you did not mention that just more blame blame blame. Have you Acknowledged our vaccine roll. out? No have you Acknowledged our virus discovery vaccine No all you do is blast Boris and Co so theres little point in carrying on with this in my opinion.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 23, 2021, 10:21 pm

tamada wrote:
February 23, 2021, 7:19 pm

- is around 20 miles from mainland Europe
- for virtually the whole pandemic was part of the EC resulting in less tight borders
- has a populous who rely on imported goods
- acts as an global travel hub
- is an international hub for commerce requiring freedom of movement of people
- as a result of a combination of the above, had already imported significant numbers of Covid cases before the world became aware of the dangers

Need I go on. The comparisons between the UK/US and Oz/NZ in these terms are simply ridiculous.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 23, 2021, 11:14 pm

vlad wrote:
February 23, 2021, 2:12 pm
DM and Co stoking the hatred you keep pumping out of me gloating here gloating there as you 2 seam to know the fact lets look at facts before you accuse me of the old thai bashing. A simple answer is all is needed. A Has thailand paid for the cheap Chinese Vaccine, bearing in mind you know who realeased this virus on the World?. 2 Will Expats be offered the vaccine the same time as the thai locals? 3 why will you be charged for the vaccine when the local population will be Vaccinated free of charge. I did not pull these facts out of the air. The thai goverment bought it not me. Who's decistion was it to innoculate the local's first and probably free bearing in mind Issan rural lives live as farmers and will not be able to pay for a vaccine. As for DMs gloat about thailands prevention what are the locals protesting for against the Goverment? And why were more than likely North eastern people in rural communities not even tested because of the cost?. So before you carry on your bash britain campaign look closer to your chosen home. I am big enough to face up to the truth and say yes we were let down by the advice given by our voted in PM who made bad mistakes we know that, as i have stated in another thread we cannot change what mistakes were made but we can change the future. You 2 will just carry on bashing the uk because its easy to blame them for past mistakes. I suppose i could say why should you be even bothered about the Uk DM you turned your back on it, or are you a Tad jealouse you will be waiting a long time to be vaccinated when most in the Uk will have had there 1st jab before the end of july.
What a load of tosh ..

I am still a British national with family and business interest in the UK so of course i am still concerned about what goes on there... the fact i made the decision to move to Asia after looking at other world locations was and still represents the best thing i ever did, i do not regret one minute of it but i do still worry about my family in the UK .

I will say it again your gloating about the vaccine here being inferior and comments such as soi dogs will get the jab before expats really does show how bitter you have become about all things Thailand infering all expats here are lower than a soi dog ... as for me being jealous about waiting for the vaccine again talking twaddle , im fine waiting my turn in a relatively safe place compared to the UK.

Your double standards are laughable vlad .. its ok for you spew constant negative comments about Thailand being a rip off , a scam etc etc ,, but this just smacks of sheer anger n bitterness that things didnt go as planned for you here .. yet when others comment on the UK its all wrong and nasty.

Offer some replies that we stand up to scrutiny rather than ... whats the point of carrying on the Thai blokes are picking on me !!!

Anyway .. no lock down here pubs etc are open and its bizz as usual a trip to Bkk early tomorrow , alls good in the land of smiles .. except its too warm again and the young ladies are too pretty.

Enjoy Barrow Vlad and your super Bojo hero vaccine :lol:

DM

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » February 24, 2021, 12:55 am

oh dear you don't like it coming back at you DM do you, so you have to resort to name calling and trying to get members into believing i'm Anti Thai with all these negative comments about Thailand. For your information DM recently i transferred a large amount of money from the UK to a Thai bank so the kids at a School outside of Udon could have Sports equipment in there School. So don't be talking in your words Tosh about me slagging everything about Thailand. You seem to have forgotten all the post's on most sites were scams are the norm from jet skis in Phuket or bar girls drugging customers in patayya admit you know about this instead of accusing me of making it all up. Your the one who mentioned Gloating nobody else. Maybe you have had to much Sun and your thinking your above us but ive reported your post for flaming a member have a good day.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 24, 2021, 8:29 am

Ijust received a message that many of the UKJ population are NOT abiding by the NEW rules as they want to do things they want, thereby threatening the lowering of Covid rules becauser the transmission rates may go up.
So in fact it is the PUBLIC sadly NOT the Politicians that are causing the problem , but you cannot teach COMMON-SENSE

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 24, 2021, 11:20 am

samster wrote:
February 23, 2021, 10:21 pm
tamada wrote:
February 23, 2021, 7:19 pm

- is around 20 miles from mainland Europe
- for virtually the whole pandemic was part of the EC resulting in less tight borders
- has a populous who rely on imported goods
- acts as an global travel hub
- is an international hub for commerce requiring freedom of movement of people
- as a result of a combination of the above, had already imported significant numbers of Covid cases before the world became aware of the dangers

Need I go on. The comparisons between the UK/US and Oz/NZ in these terms are simply ridiculous.
The U.K. government could have chosen to not follow the herd and not proceed with the knee-jerk emergency repatriation of U.K. citizens from Wuhan with the inadequate precautions and a slap-dash approach that they had. Islands or otherwise, the countries that fared best closed their borders and enforced lockdowns.

The U.K. had by that time already left the EU (the trade deal notwithstanding) so the people movement excuse doesn't wash. In pre-pandemic times, Hungary chose to close their borders to the Syrian refugees without seeking EU approval. How about the laughable, constantly changing "green country" list from last summer, just so a small percentage of the population could have a summer vacation?

As for wanting to keep airports open and planes flying, we are all aware of how well has that worked out?

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 24, 2021, 4:44 pm

^
Your view. I do feel that you are talking specifics. Travel and immigration is much easier in Europe than in the Antipodes regardless of whether the UK legally is in or out of the EU.

In general terms it was impossible to persuade businesses and individuals to restrict travel in the short window available.

Truth is, as with every argument, there is a middle ground of truth. Some things could have been handled better but, my original point stands that the pampered population of the UK (and US) would not have stood for any infringement in their liberty until they were staring down the barrel of a gun.

I was travelling back to the UK in mid March last year and it was noticeable that, literally, every Westerner at Suvarnabhumi was maskless. I remember watching the Cheltenham festival in the lounge at Abu Dhabi airport and hearing interviews with bookies, trainers, punters etc saying that the festival had to go ahead. Quite simply, a lockdown wouldn't have been accepted during that critical week.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but, for the reasons I suggested above, the UK was more vulnerable than, pretty much, any other nation and certainly more than our friends on the remote rocks in the Southern Oceans.

Return to “COVID-19/Corona Virus”