How is Nong Khai better than Udon?

News, views and comments about Nong Khai here...
thighlander
udonmap.com

How is Nong Khai better than Udon?

Post by thighlander » February 19, 2018, 2:53 am

Or is it not better? I would appreciate comments from folks who have experienced both. After four years in CM, I am considering it. I am pretty familiar with Udon..no big complaints with it. Never had to use Immigration there that would be a big consideration. BTW, I am on a retirement extension, in my early 50s. Thanks in advance.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Re: How is Nong Khai better than Udon?

Post by Lone Star » February 19, 2018, 3:33 am

Udon Thani is better. More things available here. NK is nice to visit occasionally, but that's maybe 2 or 3 times a year on the Mekong at the Market and restaurants.

Udon Thani Immigration has been wonderful compared to past experiences in NK.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » February 19, 2018, 4:39 am

Nong Khai Immigration is much less accommodating that Udon Thani.

Nong Khai is quieter, but also more backwards. This would only be an issue is you lived someplace with loud neighbors, or neighbors that like to steal.

I've lived in 3 different areas of Nong Khai (Meechai Rd, Prajasilpakom Rd, and some back soi I forget the name), and all three had the noise, theft, nosy locals, dodgy landlord component.

I also found it to have many more problems with scorpions, snakes and large centipedes coming in the house, especially closer to the river.

Nong Khai also has quite a few residential areas that flood.

The wife and I did like going by the river for dinner nightly, but that got very boring after a year. I noticed we did a lot more entertaining at home back then, dinners, card games, football nights, anything to break the boredom.

I'd try Udon before packing up to Nong Khai.

p.s. Why are you leaving Chiang Mai? Many of us consider moving there from time to time, maybe you can save us some hassle. And maybe for those same reasons you might wish to dodge Udon. Do tell.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 19, 2018, 6:01 am

p.s. Why are you leaving Chiang Mai? Many of us consider moving there from time to time, maybe you can save us some hassle. And maybe for those same reasons you might wish to dodge Udon. Do tell.

I have friends who live in CM , they say the queues at Immigration office are horrendous , maybe the original poster can verify this ,

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 19, 2018, 6:11 am

Hoopoe wrote:
February 19, 2018, 6:01 am
I have friends who live in CM , they say the queues at Immigration office are horrendous , maybe the original poster can verify this ,
I've heard this too.

I don't care much for ChM because when I'm there, I feel like I've left Thailand. Too many tourists. Probably one of my least favorite cities after Phuket.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 19, 2018, 10:33 am

I don't think there are major differences but I like the smaller city and less traffic. I also like being near the river. Udon is flat and featureless, in fact most areas are downright ugly. Without a doubt, Udon has more shopping variety but Udon is not that far of a drive if you need something special. I seriously considered retiring in Nong Khai but my wife already had a decent small but western style house in the boonies of Loei province. Her house wasn't quite finished so I had to finish westernizing it to suit myself. That meant screens on the windows, a farang toilet, hot water shower, water pump and rewiring the entire house. Ten years later it is comfortable for me and she also likes it. We are on a corner of a small village and the house and my workshop/garage sits on 2.5 rai.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 19, 2018, 11:27 am

jimjay wrote:
February 19, 2018, 4:39 am
Nong Khai Immigration is much less accommodating that Udon Thani.

Nong Khai is quieter, but also more backwards. This would only be an issue is you lived someplace with loud neighbors, or neighbors that like to steal.

I've lived in 3 different areas of Nong Khai (Meechai Rd, Prajasilpakom Rd, and some back soi I forget the name), and all three had the noise, theft, nosy locals, dodgy landlord component.

I also found it to have many more problems with scorpions, snakes and large centipedes coming in the house, especially closer to the river.

Nong Khai also has quite a few residential areas that flood.

The wife and I did like going by the river for dinner nightly, but that got very boring after a year. I noticed we did a lot more entertaining at home back then, dinners, card games, football nights, anything to break the boredom.

I'd try Udon before packing up to Nong Khai.

Jimjay......I Think you should be renamed....Try " The Nong Khai Hater " in Future, We've had our house in NK For 23 Years Now....NEVER...Had A FLOOD,As for the scorpions, snakes and large centipedes,I Can count on 1 Hand the amount of times we've had ANY of these in our house,I Think You'll probably find ALL Of these " All Over Thailand " NEVER Had a Break in or Theft from the house ( Touch Wood )Yeah Sometimes we have NOISY Parties but NOT On our estate only in the Local Thai Village at the back of us,But Only on Special Occasions !!Jim ( Oooppss ) NK Hater, You OBVIOUSLY Have a Downer on the place,Which I DON'T know you're reasons so cannot comment...And Please DON'T Call me BACKWARD !!!...Nong Khai Immigration is much less accommodating that Udon Thani....Not Anymore since NEW Staff were drafted in,Have YOU Been Lately ??? My Guess would be a resounding ....NO !!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 19, 2018, 11:32 am

Lone Star wrote:
February 19, 2018, 3:33 am
Udon Thani is better. More things available here. NK is nice to visit occasionally, but that's maybe 2 or 3 times a year on the Mekong at the Market and restaurants.

You are entitled to You're Opinions,But I MUST Disagree with you on ALL Points....You Need to Try NK Imm AGAIN....

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 19, 2018, 2:44 pm

747man wrote:
February 19, 2018, 11:32 am
Lone Star wrote:
February 19, 2018, 3:33 am

You are entitled to You're Opinions,But I MUST Disagree with you on ALL Points....You Need to Try NK Imm AGAIN....
We all have different experiences here. I'd have to deny my own experiences to think NK is better. :D

What happened for you or me or someone else yesterday or today, may not happen for any of us tomorrow. TIT. :D

I respect your experiences. Have a good one.

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » February 19, 2018, 3:03 pm

So it seems to be debatable. And a good question "why am I leaving.". Immigration, as mentioned, is horrendous here. Even though I have never used an agent, am all legit, and just use my bank account...it still sucks big time, and all this TM30 crap has been about the last straw. If I was still under 50, no way I would try staying here long term. Even half the year would be kind of painful. And yes, too many foreigner, but still lots of great, cheap Thai food but yes, it is losing its Thailandness. And the air pollution and garbage are sickening. The driving? Not good. But, I could write about a book on the good things. Maybe if I hadn't known it, when it was so much better, I would like it more. Four solid years here..just sold my condo..moving on. Even been tempted to return Stateside..but I look at bills on the first of the month...property taxes, health insurance, water/sewer...just better off here. Thanks again for the comments. Keep them coming!

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » February 19, 2018, 5:01 pm

Lonestar rubbed a few people up the wrong way in Nong Khai hence his dislike of the place or people, work it out...

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » February 19, 2018, 5:08 pm

fatbob wrote:
February 19, 2018, 5:01 pm
Lonestar rubbed a few people up the wrong way in Nong Khai hence his dislike of the place or people, work it out...

Are you ever going to mature, or is this incessant stalking and trolling who you really are? :)

I love visiting NK. Never found much to do there.

I prefer UTH to live.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 19, 2018, 6:33 pm

Have never (yet) been turned out of a NK Bar by BIB just coz it was after hours.

thighlander
udonmap.com

Post by thighlander » February 19, 2018, 7:07 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 19, 2018, 6:33 pm
Have never (yet) been turned out of a NK Bar by BIB just coz it was after hours.
good to know..that has been ruining CM, too, especially for night owls. In the very hot days, it is great to go out late, late, and siesta during the day. :D

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 19, 2018, 7:19 pm

I think both UDON and NK have positives and negatives ...alas NK does remind me of Cleethorpes in low season ... but without the sleet snow gale force winds , screeching seagulls , ugly fat women and dog turds.

DM .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 19, 2018, 7:25 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 19, 2018, 6:33 pm
Because YOU'LL Very rarely see a Nong Khai BIB Out that LATE..... :shock: :shock:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 19, 2018, 8:01 pm

Do the NK Mia Noi's still have regular "whipp rounds" for their 'boys"?

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » February 20, 2018, 4:42 am

If golf is important to you thighlander, NK has the only 18 hole golf course (Victory Park )

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 20, 2018, 8:15 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 19, 2018, 7:19 pm
I think both UDON and NK have positives and negatives ...alas NK does remind me of Cleethorpes in low season ... but without the sleet snow gale force winds , screeching seagulls , ugly fat women and dog turds.

DM .
I can vouch for that , been there done that , :lol:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 20, 2018, 9:20 am

The fact that 747 and Giggles reside in Nong Khai is a positive feature that no one can ignore. And it is nice to eat by the Mekong. I did not like the choice of hotels in the downtown area. There is a nice 'White Hotel' outside the city centre, but there were no guests there. Despite the fact the aura of 747 and Giggles is a real inspiration to any visitor, I prefer Khon Kaen.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Return to “Nong Khai”