Time for Another Trip to Phuket/Area

Southern Thailand and the islands
parrot
udonmap.com

Time for Another Trip to Phuket/Area

Post by parrot » July 2, 2018, 8:26 pm

Way back in 2013, I posted a question about resorts down south.....planning for a visit by our daughter. Mak chimed in with his Sivilai Resort recommendation on Koh Mook.....which is what we did and we had a great time. Many many thanks for that recommendation.

So now, 5 years later, our daughter wants to do another trip down south way.....flying to Phuket from Udon in mid-Dec. Planning to stay in that area for about 7 days.

I welcome any up-to-date recommendations.....to do/not to do.

arjay
udonmap.com

Re: Time for Another Trip to Phuket/Area

Post by arjay » July 3, 2018, 1:58 am

My favourites down there are:

1. Kamala beach on Phuket, best if wanting to stay close to a good beach, and with beachside dining. Not too hectic and not so many bars as other resorts.

2. Krabi, using Ao Nang as a base for boat trips to Phranang cave and Railay beach, noting that Ao Nang beach itself isn't up to much apart from a base/embarkation point to the surrounding islands and beaches.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 4, 2018, 6:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback, arjay. I welcome any other suggestions in/around that area.

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » July 5, 2018, 10:29 am

Raintree Spa in Sengho, really very nice.

Good changing rooms, clean & spacious.

Lovely large seating area with comfortable chairs.

Very quiet respectful place - no annoying Chinas! 555!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 5, 2018, 6:57 pm

Thanks, Faraday!

About 9 years ago we visited Phuket and stayed in the Naithon Beach area. The small resort we stayed at was pretty plain, but directly across from the beach......and, at that time, there were very few tourists. The beach was clean and we were able to swim there without any undercurrents. Longtail boats were available for couple-hour tours at a reasonable rate. From there, we drove to most of the sites around the island....did a Phiphi day trip and lots of sightseeing. Has anyone been in that area more recently? Any chance anyone has stayed at the Pullman nearby?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 6, 2018, 2:42 pm

We were in Phuket in February 2017 and stayed at the Pullman at Naithon beach.
Its a lovely hotel situated right at the end of the beach area,although a little pricey.
It was our first time in Naithon beach and we really enjoyed it. Great for older folks and those with young kids.We had our 3 year old granddaughter with us so I qualified on both counts ! :D
Naithon is relaxing with a nice beach and enough restaurants to keep you going of a nighttime,although the place is quiet after 10pm.
We were lucky enough to find a minibus driver who took us around the island at a reasonable cost.Nearest beach is Nai Yang,near the airport,which I liked.....nice beach with restaurants/bars....busier than Naithon.
Also visited Surin,Patong and Nai Harn.I liked Naithon and Nai Yang the best,though.If we went again I would try Nai Yang as it has more accommodation options.....Naithon really only has The Pullman,although it is a good option.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 6, 2018, 3:14 pm

Its a lovely hotel situated right at the end of the beach area,although a little pricey......

Wot !! Even for a Millionaire Footy Coach,Like Yerself ??

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 6, 2018, 5:04 pm

We stayed at Naithon many years ago......liked the quiet atmosphere. I've got my eyes on the Pullman......we'll see what the daughter wants to do.
Thanks, for the feedback!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 7, 2018, 3:33 pm

I'll give you a bit more info on the Pullman...….
Its situated at the end of the beach on a headland which means its quite hilly and I would say could be a problem for someone with mobility issues.However there is a shuttle service around the resort.....the shuttle will also drop you off on the beach road in the evening and pick you up from the restaurant of your choice later,(give them a tip,though).
There are two pools....one near the reception area and one higher up.There are also Ocean Villas that have their own private pool.
Breakfast is excellent but the prices of drinks in the bars is extortionate.
Staff are friendly,helpful and professional.
Cost of rooms is from about 4,000 baht per night to 20,000 baht per night depending on your choice.
All in all,its a lovely hotel.

Naithon has enough reasonable restaurants to keep you going.Our favourite was one called "Tycoon Tings" not far from the hotel.Turn right out of the hotel,towards the beach road,then bear left and its a large white building on your left about 100 metres down the beach road.(fairly new restaurant).
We found the food and drink to be reasonably priced.The food was,generally,pretty good and a large Singha beer was 140 baht from memory.Staff were all young and friendly but service was occasionally a little haphazard.It stayed open later than most,after 11pm.
It gets mixed reviews on Trip Advisor(either love it or hate it) but there are more dining options further down the street.

The beach,itself,was only a couple of minutes walk away and pretty decent.The water was clear and you could see little fishes as you waded out.The granddaughter loved it and it was always a problem getting her out of the water ! :D

Hope this info helps a bit more......
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 7, 2018, 3:41 pm

"Hope this info helps a bit more......"

Most definitely! Thanks for the info.

Return to “Southern Thailand”