udon pool league -season three

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
cueball
udonmap.com

udon pool league -season three

Post by cueball » October 30, 2008, 3:59 pm

a meeting was held last night to kick-start the new season for the Udon Pool League. Ten bars have signed up to play and there will be 12 teams competing for the trophy. The season starts next Tuesday (4th November). If you are not already playing for a team and would like to join in the fun every Tuesday evening leave a message on here and someone will get back to you. most teams can probably fit in at least one more player! The more the merrier.
good luck to all teams. :D

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Re: udon pool league -season three

Post by Aardvark » October 31, 2008, 7:23 am

What are the names of the Bars that have teams ??

cueball
udonmap.com

Post by cueball » November 1, 2008, 1:54 pm

bars that have teams who are playing in the udon pool league are:-
orange moon ,a beer too far, the Irish clock, jingjoes, one star bar and restaurant, fifty fifty bar, friendship bar, fiddlers green, harley o'tooles and the Aussie bar. 10 bars, 12 teams.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » November 2, 2008, 4:09 pm

where is the first game at?

cueball
udonmap.com

Post by cueball » November 4, 2008, 2:30 pm

All of the bars mentioned have the fixture list displayed - teams play each other on a home and away basis every tuesday evening. There are therefore games at six different bars being played on a Tuesday evening - take your pick if you want to cheer on a team!!

cueball
udonmap.com

Post by cueball » November 6, 2008, 12:39 pm

The first set of matches have been played with all enjoying the evenings pool competition. There was one timing misunderstanding which ended with two of the teams not playing, but this was just a 'glitch' and one supposes small teething problems are inevitable. Results are nearly all in and will be posted by Glyn via the Englishmans' Retreat site.
Thanks to all players who participated - good luck for the rest of the season.

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » November 10, 2008, 5:45 pm

The league Results-table has been updated and can be found at http://www.englishmansretreat.com then click on the word 'Results'. Sorry it's so late, my web fingers got a bit rusty, I will try and get it updated by the Wednesday evening following the Tuesday nights' games. May I say Cueball is doing a marvelous job as league secretary, and he did have the updated table to me by Wednesday, so is only me to blame.

Turn out was poor at the last matches. Even if you don't fancy a game, most of us like to drink where there's an atmosphere, with so many bars spreading us all over every corner of Udon these days it's hard to find a lively crowd so it makes sense to seek out the bars with pool matches on a Tuesday night.
Attachments
fixtures.jpg
The fixtures list
fixtures.jpg (246.34 KiB) Viewed 5167 times

steadyjohn
udonmap.com

Post by steadyjohn » November 10, 2008, 10:46 pm

I see the clock lost nothin changes :D
I wish I there this season, but I have too work :(
but at least the Guinness is good here :guiness:

Johnny

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 12, 2008, 10:21 am

Can someone give me directions to get to "One Star" please? I've never even heard of it, let alone seen it or drunk in it!
Also, is it now policy for there not to be food provided at the games?
Before a game is too early to eat, and by the time the game has finished it is usually too late, as most places have stopped serving food. It's ok if the bar you are playing in sells food, but those that don't seem to be a problem.

I think I'll have to start taking my own sani's to games .......... or just live on beer !!

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » November 12, 2008, 10:39 am

now there is a constructive response to the Serve food-don't serve food senario. Last week at Fiddlers Green George put on some stew (very nice - and top of the range bread rolls) it has now been left as an option for individual bar owners, the problem with this is "to eat or not to eat" before departing for the venue. I can't eat for the sake of eating like some people, but will there be food or won't there be food, that is the question.

Last night at Harleys we actually missed the interval, I vote we bring it back (and I was 1 of the strong 'against food' voters). For those venues without cooking facilities - it takes nowt to slap some sanis together, wot do you think Cue-ball?????

One Star, is opposite old Molly Mallones and 50m up towards Fiddlers Green, a very big place with tropical garden terrace out the front.

cryptic
udonmap.com

Post by cryptic » November 12, 2008, 12:58 pm

[quote="Glyn"]
I vote we bring it back (and I was 1 of the strong 'against food' voters). For those venues without cooking facilities - it takes nowt to slap some sanis together, wot do you think Cue-ball?????

Of course you would be agreeable for bars to supply food now, your bar does not have a team so you do not have to prepare any food. At a guess it would cost around 300b for sandwiches, a lot of beer to sell to make up for it.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 12, 2008, 2:21 pm

mmmmmm Food for Thought !! :-k
1) Last night I drank 6 bottles of beer in a bar, that had it not been for the pool league, I would not have been in.
2) I could have purchased the same beer at 7/11 for B200 less (B360 - B156).
3) Even if the Ave consumption is half of mine (in many cases it is more) that's B100 profit per person.
4) 4 to 6 persons per team, and occationally a gf/wife drinking an extortionate Spy or two and the B300 to provide food looks like a pretty good deal !!
5) I don't mind paying for my food if that's what it takes.
6) Could the bars with no facilities get a member of staff to take orders and get a take away from one of the other bars?

The problem, as I see it (I may be wrong), was that in previous years, the food had to be prepared for 20 or so people, because of "freeloaders" who just happened to be in the bar on a Tues when the food was served, and expected to be fed, even though they only stayed 20mins and had one drink.
Why not make individuel packs of sani's or containers of stew/curry that can be handed out to the players and proper supporters, thus leaving the others to buy their food if required.

Just my thoughts guys, I'm just a player, so do not see the problem from an owners point of view, although I have tried my best.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 12, 2008, 2:25 pm

Any chance of someone posting last nights results, so as I can update my records.

I'll have to give One Star a visit in the next couple of weeks (got to check the table out !!) :D

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » November 12, 2008, 2:43 pm

stt, give it 24hrs for all the results to come in and I'll post the table in it's usual place, are you still playing for OM?

Players' views on free food (for or against) is most welcome, the vote took place at our last meeting b4 the new season started up, it was the team captains and some bar owners around the table. The main reason why it was scrapped was because of the freeloaders (or baloon chasers as they were called in Pattaya) at the same time the free beer was also knocked-on-the-head, add these 2 situs together and yes it probably was just breaking evens for most bars. It wouldn't be hard to add a sign to the food table saying "Players only" there-by avoiding the need to hand out the food. I'm sure the players will be able to mind the table and give the freeloaders a good roasting if they stick their sticky fingers into the nosh [-X :oops:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 12, 2008, 2:53 pm

Yep still at OM ........ if I were buddhist, I'd have to think that I was really BAD in a previous life !! :D

I'll use your info to produce a hard copy to go on the wall at OM and poss B2Far (if Jan wants it) and you don't mind me using your work :pirate:

cueball
udonmap.com

Post by cueball » November 12, 2008, 10:08 pm

Glyn - just a point - the guidelines allow teams to send the results to me up to and until midday on the Thursday following the Tuesday matches - If all results are in, then I will send them to you on a Wednesday - but please bear in mind that I have to give the teams until the allotted time, so I may not send them to you until Thursday p.m.

The food issue for me is no problem - I eat the food of my own choice before 7pm. I, for one, am more interested in a game of pool and a few drinks and a laugh than getting something out of it cos 'I am only drinking at so and so bar because of the pool league'. All things can be changed, however, and if the consensus of opinion is that food should be served then so be it - I am only the administrator, not the catering organiser, so if changes are deemed necessary, someone please pick up the baton and start running with it to get things organized!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 13, 2008, 8:38 am

Cueball,

As mentioned before, it's not the cost of the food that is the problem for me, it's the fact that there is none available in some of the bars. Where a bar sells food anyway, I am quite happy to buy from the menu.
The only solution that I can see for those that don't provide food, is the take away option, either from a menu provided by the food producing bar, or a set order (cheese or ham baguette etc;) which can be pre arranged and delivered/collected during the evening, with each player paying say B50 towards the cost. I'm sure that the food providing bar (especially if they are in the league anyway) will not want to overcharge for the food, as they too want the league to survive/expand in the future, and lost teams due to lack of facilities would not be good for them either.
In the mean time, would it be possible for someone to post a list of which bars intend to provide food/have food available, and which ones do not.

Any chance of getting "Provisional" results posted on the forum, with the proviso that they have not been checked, and therefore may need to be adjusted when the official forms are submitted. I am quite happy to post any that I know on Tues night/Wed (depending on whether I've been drinking on an empty stomach or not :drunk: )

Glyn
udonmap.com

Post by Glyn » November 13, 2008, 12:53 pm

I don't think the food will be a cost issue, it really is a minor expense compared the previous seasons, when it was food for all + between 10-12 free drinks for the players, now that was a burden. Why don't all players at each venue next tuesday take 5 mins out and take a vote on it, then the captians give feed back to cue-ball and we go with the majority.

As for posting a list of bars supplying, not supplying, I don't think they'll want to commit themselves. As I posted earlier FGs put food on last week but maybe George will sum up the night's takings and not want to bother the following week :-k :-k

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 13, 2008, 1:20 pm

I didn't get a chance to speak to anyone at OM on Tues, but I know that Noot had probs last year, due to her having to cook food, and get it in place before heading off to play for her team. This was then made worse by the fact that sometimes the freeloaders/balloon chasers helped themselves, and left the food to get cold before we had our food break.

cueball
udonmap.com

Post by cueball » November 14, 2008, 10:42 am

Glyn -good idea to ask all the players -only problem being that, as far as I can see, only 3 or 4 players/captains are aware of this thread on the forum - either that, or they are reading and not taking an active part in the discussion! I really don't think there is an easy answer to this situation (other than carrying on the way we are currently). Bring your own sandwich? Send out for food? eat before you arrive? Buy from the bar you are playing at(if they sell food)? Don't eat? Several options, but at the end of the day, as far I am concerned, it is a night out to play pool and have a couple of beers - I can organise my own food with no effort on my part. I would hate to think that some of the bars would drop out of the league if we enforced a 'must supply food' rule - it may not happen of course, but I would rather not push it - I have no easy answer to the issue, just my opinion!

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”