Flying Club in Udon Thani?

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
lassebasse
udonmap.com

Flying Club in Udon Thani?

Post by lassebasse » June 23, 2009, 10:38 am

It would be nice to do some sightseeing by plane around Udon. Is there a flight-club or something where you could get a tour of one hour or so? We would be paying of course.

lee
udonmap.com

Re: Flying Club in Udon Thani?

Post by lee » June 23, 2009, 10:48 am

Here's one I found with Google:

http://www.udonmastertech.com/UMFC/UMFC.htm

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 23, 2009, 11:45 am

i got all my free tours the first 6 months flying back and forth from bkk. once or twice a month was plenty. 8)

something right up you alley Scott..............the ultralights look cool, wonder what's needed to take out for a spin, :D
Last edited by laphanphon on June 23, 2009, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » June 23, 2009, 11:47 am

There won't be a flying club in Udon Thani until a property developer builds a condo block.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » June 23, 2009, 12:20 pm

"something right up you alley Scott..............the ultralights look cool, wonder what's needed to take out for a spin,"

Right on, I'll be going out in the next day or two. Want to go along LA? I'll take a pass on the ultra lights but would give what looks like a RV 6 or 7A a go. :D :D :D

Oh good find Lee :D

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » June 23, 2009, 12:24 pm

BTW I have a series of RV aircraft in my flight sim program, I'll have to park the Lear and individual Air and try out these little guys.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » June 23, 2009, 1:32 pm

Closer look at their sight and didn't find any pics of RV aircraft but did spot a 172 with the door removed and a couple of brave souls outfitted to jump out :yikes: another thing I'll take a pass, never could come up with a good reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane :D

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » June 25, 2009, 4:06 pm

The white plane in the group picture is a Sonex kit built airplane. I know this as I thought about buying one and building it back in the US... but I don't trust my mechanical abilities, and bit lazy so gave up on that idea. I wouldn't mind going up in the Sonex and seeing the performance. With a higher HP Rotax engine in it, it can be quite a performer as I recall... as in acrobatics. These days kit planes have much higher performance per dollar than certified aircraft.

http://www.sonexaircraft.com

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » June 26, 2009, 1:52 pm

This is interesting, I was wondering whether to bring my Cessna to Udon when I retired there, but wasn't sure where to keep it or where to fly from, maybe here.
I'll have a look next time I visit.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » June 26, 2009, 2:14 pm

I visited the airplane patch and hanger facilities yesterday and was impressed. kakariki for sure bring the Cessna. Word of caution, the map on the sight will get you there but I used the coordinates on the spec sheet and it got me close but no cigar. 17*22.704'N 103*06.506E will put you in front of the hanger.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » July 14, 2009, 4:09 pm

Kakariki, better build a good hangar for the Cessna... corrosion here must be something fierce [-o<

You have a 172?

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » July 14, 2009, 7:20 pm

Yes I have a 1964 172E with 1800 hrs on it, still brand new.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » July 15, 2009, 7:00 am

Do they just do tours round Udon or do they teach for ppl?
Guess an additional question would be could a falang take lessons and own a ppl licence in the LOS?

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » July 15, 2009, 6:13 pm

I'm surprised about corrosion, I have never noticed any in Udon, is the ground salty?

seymourbutts
udonmap.com

Post by seymourbutts » July 15, 2009, 6:55 pm

Kudjap or Bust wrote:Do they just do tours round Udon or do they teach for ppl?
Guess an additional question would be could a falang take lessons and own a ppl licence in the LOS?
Im at ban liam most weekends when im there, they have microlights there and are very happy to take passengers up for a jolly for free.. They do lessons i understand but i know no more... You can get free paramotor lessons there but you must buy the rig when you pass your licence..

Nong han flying club do ppl i understand but i know no more!!

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » July 15, 2009, 7:56 pm

sounds like a nice aircraft.

Don't know much about corrosion but wiki says... "Most structural alloys corrode merely from exposure to moisture in the air, but the process can be strongly affected by exposure to certain substances (see below)." Most definitely have moisture in the air here. But, as you imply, far from the ocean. But, seem to have noticed quite a bit of rust here... of course i am more used to western US, and never lived on the coast. Dust particulates in the air??? (evidence thereof is my blackened face after riding the motorbike here for an hour or so) I have NO IDEA really... suppose it can't be that bad here...compared to many coastal areas.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 15, 2009, 8:23 pm

I append a link to the Chiang Mai flying club. Every thing you need to know about flying in Thailand on here.
http://www.cmflyingclub.com/information/#

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » July 16, 2009, 7:15 am

Anyone have any details on teh Nong Han Flying Club? Tried a google and didn't come up with anything

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » July 16, 2009, 9:54 am

I live near the sea here and the plane is hangered near the sea, but hasn't suffered much corrosion considering it's age, and I'm sure it's to do with electrolosis.
I also own and build aluminium boats and I have a lot more problems with then than the plane.
I think a hanger to keep the weather off with a bit of ventilation around the floor level should do the trick.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » August 3, 2009, 8:27 am

Sounds good, hope to see your plane in the sky around here one day. I have an old Grumman sitting in the desert southwest, so do not know have much experience with corrosion. The humidity there is minute and precip the same.

I wonder if the people at MasterTech built that Sonex. The kit is very cheap, and Rotax not too expensive... but in Thailand I am sure there are many other things to worry about :)

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”