What are you going to do during Songkran?

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.
harmonyudon
udonmap.com

What are you going to do during Songkran?

Post by harmonyudon » March 26, 2012, 1:10 pm

Just wondering how and where UM-members celebrate the 3-days songkrang festival.
Me: I stay in Udonthani city.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

What are you going to do during Songkrang?

Post by Prenders88 » March 26, 2012, 2:35 pm

I stay indoors and avoid Songkran like the plague.

Once is enough, now more violent and spiteful, with too many dickheads who can't handle their pi$$.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » March 26, 2012, 3:38 pm

Prenders88 wrote:I stay indoors and avoid Songkran like the plague.

Once is enough, now more violent and spiteful, with too many dickheads who can't handle their pi$$.
Quite right... What was once fun has now turned into chaos and has at times become outright dangerous to the degree we bunkerize ourselves and stock up on goodies and have our own celebration in the garden with the kids and family.

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » March 26, 2012, 4:46 pm

Stay away and stay home.

I've seen too many dangerous situations of people trying to avoid water on thier motorbikes and run into pedestrians, other motorbikes or cars. It's gotten way out of hand in some areas.

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » March 26, 2012, 4:55 pm

I agree with the above 3 posts... I'll be staying at home out in the sticks ;)

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » March 26, 2012, 5:12 pm

according to google:
Songkran begins Thursday, 12 April 2012, and ends Sunday, 15 April 2012.

it will start 2 days early in some side streets and even earlier in Banork

I will be happy when its over! I'll stock up on food and hole up in my hideout

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 26, 2012, 7:04 pm

I've escaped to Australia as usual this time of year! Much rather a quite Easter hear with family and friends than the crap that goes on during SongKran even in a sleepy hollow like Ban Dung.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

wayne747
udonmap.com

Post by wayne747 » March 27, 2012, 1:02 am

Are there any areas in Udon where Song Kran is still fun and relatively peaceful.
I will be arriving soon and haven't seen it before. So while I will probably do like the rest of you next year (stay away) this time I'd like to see it tourist-wise, without too much of a problem.

Another silly question: Are farangs particularly targeted ;-) ?

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » March 27, 2012, 7:47 am

I love Song Kran and spend a much time as I can celebrating with the locals. It i just one of the many ways to intergrate with the local customs and people. Not celebrating would be like not celebrating the 4th of July in the States, not celebrating St. Patricks day in Ireland, not celebrating New Years Eve in London. Get out and enjoy walk if worried about driving a motor bike stay in the small Soi's is also safer if you are worried.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » March 27, 2012, 11:16 am

wayne747 wrote:Are there any areas in Udon where Song Kran is still fun and relatively peaceful.
I will be arriving soon and haven't seen it before. So while I will probably do like the rest of you next year (stay away) this time I'd like to see it tourist-wise, without too much of a problem.

Another silly question: Are farangs particularly targeted ;-) ?
Its the farangs that usually spoil it for me, pissed and out of control like demented teenagers targeting everyone whether they want it or not, whereas the Thais seem to be more controlled especially after 6pm when they tend to calm down and accept that folk have had it all day and now wish to go out to eat.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 27, 2012, 2:06 pm

To wayne747. If you want to experience a THAI Songkran Festival, as against an Idiot Farang Songkran, I recommend you visit Lampang, approximately 90kms this side of Chiangmai, which remains a very pleasant and very Thai town having a very sparse Farang presence,and where the locals have yet to be converted to the Farang hooliganistic approach to the Festival. Alternatively, you could try either Phitsanulok or Sakhon Nakhon where the celebrations continue to be Thai in nature..

For myself, notwithstanding the alternative choices which will surely be available in Udonthani during the Songkran period, I propose, during that period, to continue showering at home and using the washing machine to clean my clothes, and also to allow my wife to continue washing the car, all such activities without availing myself of 'outside' help!

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » March 27, 2012, 4:54 pm

Well said TAFFIA not a truer word said, pissed up falangs on Songkran will spoil it for the majority of decent people.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 27, 2012, 6:34 pm

Do not kid yourself, Thais can be just as aggressive, bold and silly as farangs at this time of year. Don't blame farangs for spoiling your fun. On the other hand, it is true that the festival may be calmer and more polite in the places you mentioned as well as Sukhothai, Lamphun, Nakhon Pathom et al, but not necessarily.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » March 28, 2012, 12:42 am

As I have shared in the past.Nong Khai has a civilized Songkran.Probably because it has a relatively civilized daily lifestyle!

I am not a night out person,so I can not address the action around the ''Falang'' bars at night!Daytime activities are generally fun and respectful.Of course,if you are adverse to water and playing,then none of it will appeal to you!

I certainly agree about the falangs taking to a different level.Many think it is teenage prank time! :roll:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 28, 2012, 7:58 am

While I agree that recently ( like over the past 3-4 years ) Songkrang has become l ess fun, it is WRONG to blame farang influence.
True there are some who take it to a different level those that are completely p***** and those who are just AH's, but I fel that the advent of iced water started by Thais was its downfall and that happen some year ago and many now use it to shock or even injure others, onlt last year I was hit by a piece of ice, so in the future I will not be venturing out in the City.

Local villages normally do a sedate Songkran and is welcomed but touring the streets in cars and on bikes is not a good idea. Two or three blasts of really ice cold water is not good for my health and could be for some a shock too much.

best thing if you want to is to walk the Nong Prajak walk and get wet safely and enjoy the fun, not in or on a vehicle.

or stay at home and chill out .

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » March 28, 2012, 8:27 am

There were plenty of AH farangs last year,but Mr Tongs looked very quiet,agree the ice being sold around town last year caused a few problems.Even a farang was throwing dirty water at foodstalls that are near the main drag so whoever was going to eat barbecued pork or chicken was going to have stomach problems a day later. [-X
Am enjoying the TW's village and her adjoining village,more relaxed with the family. 8)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 28, 2012, 8:48 am

Khun Paul wrote: Two or three blasts of really ice cold water is not good for my health ..............
Khun Paul wrote:............. or stay at home and chill out .
:shock:

:D

wayne747
udonmap.com

Post by wayne747 » March 28, 2012, 1:59 pm

Thanks all for the advice, all.
It is very much appreciated.
I will be in Udon, not the other places.
Now I understand why my better half has complained about cold water - didn't know they put ice in it !

She also says thai men fondle the girls on the breasts. Does that happen also when she is accompanied by husband/boyfriend ? That would p..ss me off for sure.

Well , I guess I just have to venture out and stay away from farang alley. Nong Prajak park was a good idea.
Wayne

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » March 28, 2012, 5:24 pm

Did Songkran last year in Sakon Nakhon and had a good time. Very much civilized as compared to some places. Streets are detoured to one way making a few block square and most of the mayhem and fun is centered there. City provides water stops along the route for people to re-load....
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 28, 2012, 5:56 pm

wayne747 wrote:Thanks all for the advice, all.
It is very much appreciated.
I will be in Udon, not the other places.
Now I understand why my better half has complained about cold water - didn't know they put ice in it !

She also says thai men fondle the girls on the breasts. Does that happen also when she is accompanied by husband/boyfriend ? That would p..ss me off for sure.

Well , I guess I just have to venture out and stay away from farang alley. Nong Prajak park was a good idea.
Wayne
Enjoy yourself my friend, the first time is the best and only time you will get a larf. Any serious Business takes Second place so keep your Wallet and Mobile Wrapped tightly, and don't under any sercumstances ride a Motorbike on those wet roads 8) have fun Mate, but be careful =D>

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”