internet connection for laptop

Issan the rural northeast forum
rogerjg

internet connection for laptop

Post by rogerjg » December 27, 2008, 8:00 pm

Hi,
I am coming to visit in the Sawang Daen Din area in April and need to have Internet connection for my laptop, I am hoping someone will be able to tell me what is available. I will probably be spending some time just outside Bang Dung so some connection there also would be helpful.
Thanks
rogerjg

laphanphon

Re: internet connection for laptop

Post by laphanphon » December 27, 2008, 8:08 pm

if you are going to be moving around and just need internet access, non working, AIS cell phone internet sim card is fine. 374 baht a month for 100 hrs. if needing any large files up/downloaded, alway some free wifi available somewhere. actually, they have been rather good lately, staying connect for larger files. but if working you'll need something else, can't help there. 8)

rogerjg

Post by rogerjg » December 27, 2008, 10:06 pm

Thanks laphanphon,
I will be needing to do some work on Internet, servicing websites etc. while I am there just to keep things moving along.
Best Regards
rogerjg

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » December 27, 2008, 11:26 pm

Irish clock a good spot especially if you go early morning... Few cups of coffee, good music, nice atmosphere and of course free wi-fi.

Disclaimer: Despite my origins I have no financial interest in the aforementioned establishment.

Slainte... :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » December 28, 2008, 8:42 am

servicing websites
in that case, definitely won't be useful, but you may consider as a back up, since you will need a AIS sim card anyway, since dominant carrier and sometimes only way to get a phone call thru. if getting their internet sim card, 200 baht maybe, then sign up for 'sawadee program', if still available and called that, or whatever newerst promotion is, it's 2 baht a minute for calls, which i only use if my 'truemove' isn't cooperating, which is 1 baht a minute. but presently i use AIS for internet, been very good and consistent lately, big change from before, and presently i'm in self drive out and about, so operates from all around the country with no problems. but if i was to update my 'geocities' web page, it would take forever, and not worth the effort. and that site is way overdue for an update. Pop Pop internet is the best in town. if he's not doing any major updating and the kids aren't there, it zips along nicely. or as mentioned, good reason for a pint at the Clock.

the best and dependable that i found, from a fixed location, would be IPSTAR (satellite), but also the most expensive, as incurs an installation charge and about 1500 and up monthly charge, but if going to be here on permanent basis and working, that's what i would do. used when i day trade with numerous streaming windows open and always consistently good service. as you know, any land service has a lot of variables, if you can find a phone line to begin with, in short supply sometimes. best of luck to you.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » December 28, 2008, 1:58 pm

When I had IPStar, three years ago, the majority of times that I downloaded a large file (for example a 10 MB zip file), the file was corrupted, that is that it would not open. Eventually, with operating systems updages getting larger and larger, I had to drop it in favor of TOT. If considering IPStar, try to establish whether this is still a problem. In my case, after months of correspondence, technical support appear to still not understand what I was complaining about.

Last week, during a typical TOT outage, I fell back on my AIS GPRS service. That's when I found that they block torrents. You have been informed.

And a couple of days ago, my neighbor's TT&T stopped working after less than a month of solid service, and required technical support via telephone

I guess none is perfect.

rogerjg

Post by rogerjg » December 29, 2008, 12:33 am

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Where is the Clock by the way?

Best Regards
rogerjg

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » December 29, 2008, 12:55 am

rogerjg wrote:Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Where is the Clock by the way?

Best Regards
rogerjg
The Irish Clock is on Soi Sampantamit.

Website here: http://www.irishclockudonthani.com/

Walking distance of Charoensri Complex, Centrepoint night market, Day/Night...

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » July 12, 2010, 3:16 pm

Can you purchase a dongle in england for use in North East Thailand

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » July 12, 2010, 3:26 pm

valiant wrote:Can you purchase a dongle in england for use in North East Thailand
You can, but depending on where you bought it from in the UK, it may well need to be unlocked to use here, as a number of manufacturers/suppliers lock them to use on a specific network.

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » July 12, 2010, 3:59 pm

Thank you Bangkok Butcher some one had said you can purchase one in UK that can last for 30 days eg 3 NETWORK VODAFONE etc

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » July 12, 2010, 4:10 pm

No problems Valiant.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'last for 30 days', but I would have thought that both the dongle supplied by either 3 or Vodafone would be locked to that network and you would need to pay them for it to be unlocked.

You can probably use them here without being unlocked, but you would need to use the original sim from the UK company but then you would be paying extortionate charges for internet access.

It would be best top check with whoever you buy from before committing, as the dongles can be bought here for around 1500-2000 baht, maybe less now. Or just get it unlocked in the UK before you come.

robinssnibor

Post by robinssnibor » July 12, 2010, 7:45 pm

I saw an AIS GPRS dongle in the new Tesco last week.

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”