Trip To Loei... early Jan 07.

Issan the rural northeast forum
keg
udonmap.com

Sun Palace Hotel Loei

Post by keg » October 2, 2007, 9:54 pm

I just wanted to post an update on BeerMonkeys excellant trip report from Loei. I have been there the last week due to a hospital stay for the mother in law. My wife and I stayed at the Sun Palace as mentioned in the report and it was still spot on. The price reductions seem permanent and are now posted in the lobby. VIP 1000b reduced to 500b, 1st floor 350b, 2&3 floor 350b reduced to 300b. Was busy Sunday night but otherwise was fairly quiet. We stayed in one of the VIP rooms but may try one of the 300b rooms when we go back in the morning. The resturant opens at 5PM and closes at 1AM but did not try it. The massage place opens at 10AM but did not see a closing time and I did not try it either.
We pulled in and checked at the Loei Palace first, as I tought I might have remembered the name wrong, and it is still 3000baht and have 5000 and 7000b rooms available. They claimed it was a 5 star Hotel but as mentioned by BeerMonkey the parking lot had zero cars in it. Not sure who their intended customers are and not sure about the 5 star status.

Keg

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 5, 2007, 4:57 am

Keg,If you try a 300 baht room in the Sun palace let us know what you thought as i will stay there again and may use that room myself if its favourable.
And did you notice whats in place of the Tesco that did'nt open just round the corner of the Hotel. ?
Can You Dig It Dug.?

keg
udonmap.com

Sun Palace Hotel Loei

Post by keg » October 5, 2007, 8:39 pm

I got back up to Loei and believe it or not the Sun Palace was all booked up except one of the VIP rooms. I did not believe it at first as the parking lot was deserted but when I checked out the next morning the lobby was full of a kids school group. I stayed in both VIP #1 and #2 and 2 seemed a little bit less worn but you had to walk up the stairs that were pretty steep. As the wife is 7 months pregnant, that did not go over the best.

The Tesco building is still just sitting there closed and empty with no change that I could see. KFC seemed to be the only business operating since it was built in a separate building in the front of the parking lot. You could not turn into the Tesco parking lot except for a small blocked off section in front of KFC for 8 or 10 cars.

Keg

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » March 18, 2008, 3:18 pm

I just checked the website for the Loei Palace Hotel, which is part of the Amari Hotel chain, http://www.amari.com/loeipalace/
They offer a special "last minute rate" of $40USD ( around 1300 baht), breakfast not included, $52 w/ breakfast.
I also checked the rates for a week in advance, the price only went up $1.
We chose this hotel mainly because it was the only place in Loei with a swimming pool, unless someone else knows of a hotel or bungalows with a swimming pool?

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 18, 2008, 5:35 pm

That sounds a bit more realistic on the price, maybe hey got fed up of looking out onto an empty carpark, when back up that way will check it out again, its a nice peaceful place from what i saw.

Is the breakfast worth having for the extra baht ??
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 18, 2008, 10:01 pm

It says this offer is from 14th February 2008 to 31st October 2009 ! (I'd think maybe that should read 31st October 2008 ? ).
For 20 quid or so a night it looks a great deal.....looks a very nice place looking at the pictures.......good for a weekend break.
I've stayed at a few Amari Hotels in the past & they have always been of an excellent standard.

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 19, 2008, 6:45 am

This place looks fantastic, out of town but well worth a stop over if out that way, check out the map for directions, not the cheapest rates but has a few extras inc in the price per night.

http://www.phuphanamresort.com/

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » March 19, 2008, 7:02 pm

beer monkey wrote:This place looks fantastic, out of town but well worth a stop over if out that way, check out the map for directions, not the cheapest rates but has a few extras inc in the price per night.

http://www.phuphanamresort.com/
Yes, beautiful resort!
I don't know how you find all these places/things, BM? I guess you got more patience than me. :lol:

Forgot to add to my post. I was having difficulty booking a room at the Amari using the Amari website. So I called the hotel and they said they could only offer the standard rate by telephone. I then telephoned the Bangkok Corporate headquarters and spoke with Miss Jairak Wantavee, Group Reservations Manager, 02-255-3960, [email protected].
I explained my problem and she was happy to give us the "last minute rate", via telephone. She sent me a confirmation e-mail within a hour.
Total cost per night, including taxes & service charge: 1460 baht.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » March 24, 2008, 6:30 pm

Just returned from a weekend at the Amari Loei Palace. Good hotel, friendly & attentive staff. I thought the standard room was good. It didn't have a balcony, but the sliding doors opened onto a large communal deck with great views of the mountains and sunrise/sunset/pool. It was like our own private veranda, since no one else used it. There weren't that many people staying there. They do have underground parking which might partially explain why the carpark in front is always empty.
The hotel restaurant was good. What surprised me was that the farang food was congruent in price to what we are used to in Udon at our farang eateries?
I had a burger, topped with bacon, cheese and a fried egg served on a good bun, included fries (chips), 140 baht. Whereas the Thai food was about double what we would expect to pay a nice Thai restaurant here in Udon, ie: Meh Yah.
beer monkey wrote: Is the breakfast worth having for the extra baht ??
The breakfast buffet, consisted of fresh baked rolls, croissants & breads, variety of juice's, cold cereal, khao tom, fried rice, and a cook to order egg and omelet station, plus Thai ham & little sausage's (maybe when there is more people, they put better meat out?). I guess if you're hungry between the hours of 06:00-10:00, one could get their money's worth. I really don't start getting a appetite until after 11am.

One of the hotel staff recommended a great Thai/Issan/Lao restaurant.
Baan Yai (grandmother's house). Excellent! 042-833-361, 086-862-9900, or 085-006-6606. It's right across the street from Loei's city shrine, probably best to call for directions. It seems to be a stop for many visiting Thai celebrities, as per the photo gallery on the wall.
A good three days. :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 25, 2008, 4:54 am

Thanks for that report back on the food.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 25, 2008, 10:11 am

jingjai,
Thanks for all the useful info about the hotel in your post.
For that standard of hotel it looks to be a bargain.
I'll be taking the family later in the year for sure.

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

laphanphon

Loei March 2009

Post by laphanphon » March 11, 2009, 7:13 am

Out and about, usually clean, safe, inexpensive accommodations, preferably without breakfast provided as usually a disappointment. Out of Udon Thani, it’s fairly a straight shot on Hwy 210 via NBLP, till hwy 201, turn right heading north. Usually stay in town/municipality, which has a sign directing you that way at NokKeaw Rd, a right, which turns into ChumSai rd on other side of circle. Stayed at individual Hotel, just past the circle, 2nd building I think. A car park is in the rear, BUT, entrance to car park is also from the rear, so if planning ahead, continue around circle and take 1st left, or go past the hotel and around the block at first right turn,. Entrance on parallel street behind. Rate was 500 baht, inc. 1 ABF, or 2 rice soups, BUT, strangely, if wanting another rice soup, was told 100 baht charge, go figure. Room was fine, Thai cable, location excellent. Night market, which was very laid back and nice, w/good offerings. Enjoyed the salad bar, 7 baht per 100 grams, clean and fresh, couple dressing to chose, and free water station for her customers, along with soap and water, for those wishing to wash hands............a first anywhere. Location of night market was exit front of hotel, go right, to corner, then that whole street till next corner, which is same street for parking entrance to hotel, so can travel either direction.

Also very close to the lake in town, with shops around same. All within walking distance. Exit parking lot of hotel, or exit front door and go left to corner and hang a left. Should see park/lake shortly, mere 100 meters from parking lot corner. Upon approach to lake, a road encircles the lake, then a small walkway circles the lake itself on other side of street. At that intersection ‘T’, you can either bear left and cross foot bridge to park island, almost an island, or, hang a right, stay on the shop side of road, and enjoy a very nice Rum/raisin ice cream sundae, or you favorite coffee, hot or cold desert style, along with some finger cakes, or a tuna or ham/cheese sandwich I noticed on menu. All inexpensive, 2 scoop sundae, 25 baht, yummy. Then cruise around the park, and get a smoothie, 40 baht to refresh afterwards, again at the “something Coffee Bar”.

The breakfast was a disappointment, no surprise, ABF, one slice sandwich ham, 3 little wieners, scrambled eggs by request, as the others looked cold, fresh toast, and ok instant coffee. As disappointing as that was, the rest of the menu was rather nice and well priced. At all times of the day, the small restaurant was full. Had one meal there, no complaints.

A mere 2 day stop, a couple pics below, not much that I can be added to BM’s fine collection of shots on 1st page of thread, well done BM. One old shot of Phu Rua.

coffee shop/ice cream, yummy

night market, wash, water, salad bar

r3aps
udonmap.com

Re:

Post by r3aps » March 26, 2009, 1:57 am

nice read this thread,i am heading to loei in a couple of weeks,have booked the amari loei palace,i got it for 800 baht a nite for a standard room,that was booked quite in advance tho.still excellent price if they are half as good as the bkk amaris.will hopefully post pics and let you know how i get on when i am back,but i will be there for best part of a month.
thxs
steve

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Trip To Loei... early Jan 07.

Post by beer monkey » March 26, 2009, 6:27 am

It is a very peaceful hotel from what i saw....800baht is more like it, maybe they read this thread and realized the 3000baht was tooo much,friendly people around and a nice place allround steve...and don't forget to post some photos

r3aps
udonmap.com

Re:

Post by r3aps » April 26, 2009, 8:22 pm

beer monkey wrote:The Sun Palace Hotel,address is 191/5 Charonrut Rd , phone 042-815717 042-815545. 042 812654

300 Baht per night - 1000 Baht for ViP,these were the prices displayed but probably will differ on the day you arrive i payed 650 for vip. had 2 rooms 2 TV's Minibar AC. nice and quite,but if you get the ViP room in the carpark beware of cars parking/leaving after 12 midnight, but did't disturb me.

4-5 floors i think in main building,carpark, friendly staff,resturant and massage available
near to The Loei palace ($pang-pangฃ) and near to Tescos.KFC.and next door to the lake/gardens.

about loei.
http://www.amari.com/tta/desguide_loei.asp

just got back from loei,stayed at loei palace for 9 days at 900 baht a nite.only wanted it for the pool,but found out anyone can use pool for 60 baht a day.
went to sun palace then for a week,300 baht standard room,vip 500 baht.nice place but basic.
can organise car rental at loei palace,or if you want a bike,near the honda garage on the roundabout is a bike repair place that rents them for 200 baht a day.
few bars and 2 nightclubs i found.few steak houses,german restaurant,thats about it western style.
nice relaxed place is loei.kfc was open but tescos wasnt,looks like it being opened soon.
at least 8-9 hotels in the city centre from 200 baht upwards.
steve

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 26, 2009, 9:00 pm

Good tip off with the pool and bike.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 9, 2009, 11:44 am

Made my first ever trip to Loei for a couple of days earlier this week along with my wife and son.
We,too,stayed at the Amari Loei Palace hotel and found it excellent.We got the room for 1000 baht which included breakfast for 3 people.....a bit of a steal really !
Note that if you try to book on the Amari website the same is down as 1300 baht so it pays to either go on spec or get your Thai wife/girlfriend to phone up the hotel direct and book beforehand.
The hotel is very nice and whilst it cant compare to the Pullman (Sofitel) in Khon Kaen it is certainly a cut above anything Udon has to offer.It has a nice pool and,I believe,a gym.You can also hire bikes from the hotel for 80 baht per day.Next door there is a nice little park where the locals go for a walk or jog in the evenings.
The room was a decent size and modern with good views of the surrounding hills.....nice to see the mist rising from them in the morning.
The restaurant is good as well.As might be expected from a 4* hotel it is a little expensive but has a good selection of Thai food and farang fare includes Salmon Steak,Grilled Seabass and Pork Chop all costing about 265 baht.
A large Leo costs 89 baht and the wine list includes small bottles of local wine called Chateau de Loei ? costing 225 baht.
Loei town centre is nothing exceptional.A typical nondescript Thai town really.It lacks something like a Central Plaza shopping mall to add a bit of spark to the place.
But people go to Loei for the surrounding countryside.Its quite scenic and parts of it on the road from Wansaphong to Phu Kradung reminded me a bit of the UK countryside with the greenery, rolling hills and even a bit of drizzle to add to the nostalgia !
If you go via Nong Bua Lamphu a good stop off point is the Erawan cave just 2 kilometres off the main road.Its quite a hike up the mountain to the cave & big buddha (about 600 steps,I reckon) but there are rest points on the way up where you can take in the views.
Heading back from Loei an alternative scenic route,although a fair bit longer,is via the Mekhong Valley (Chiang Khan-Pakchom-Sangkhom-Si Chiang Mai heading towards Nong Khai).
I'd certainly recommend spending a few days in this area if you are so inclined and dont think you will be disappointed if you choose to stay at the Amari Loei Palace.
The weather seemed to be a lot fresher in Loei,as well.Tuesday night there was little humidity and temperatures just under 70f....no need for the aircon !

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 21, 2009, 12:56 pm

Accommodation options near Phu Rua National Park, stayed at Phu Rua Resorts, less than 5 kms to road to park, I think, which there is also a small market and food vendors, in case wanting a snack away from resort restaurant. Of course after breakfast, we went to the department store (7-11) for some snacks, beverages I always bring with me, in cooler, just in case no frig, and I’m a CC.

PRR, not Royal PRR, not PRR Chalets, but PRR, on left, about 45 kms after turn to park from 201 to 203. The room, cheapest, 800 baht separate bungalow, basic, hw/frig/ac/twin firm beds/balcony, semi private, no sex, well, maybe at night, if bold. Nice view from balcony, 2 pics below, as a stream runs behind whole resort, nice background noise, and also a nice hill along the length of resort also. Making for nice views. Can manage a little shade on balcony, one corner where I was for a bit, till ready to type this, as all downloaded and ready to be put in reply. Then the afternoon heat got to me. Breakfast / dining area was very nice area to sit and relax, as shaded in parts outside, if not, inside area w/fan and still nice view of countryside/hill/falls/stream, pics below.

Restaurant…..for dinner, I had the ‘panang chicken’, special order, 95. Ree, stomach not up to par, shitake mushroom and shrimp 110, being the high end of stir fries, veggie stir fry being the low end, 60. The rest 85-95. Rest of the menu is fairly priced, with exception of soups, tom ka/tom yam starting at 120. One water, and dinner was 230 w/30 tip/260 total. Room comes w/brekkie included, as asking what it was at check in, rice soup or fried rice……….oh joy. Pleasantly surprised, it was actually quite good, as we both went with fried rice/shrimp, which came with toast and quite tasty coffee. So the CC in me calculated, fr/t/c…50/20/30, making 2 breakfasts a 200 baht value, so 600 for the room, a fair price, due to location location location.

The plus…………location, all things facing stream and hillside, and nice falls at the restaurant deck area.

The negatives, website says 800, Ree called ahead, 800, ok, reservation, hang up, before asking name, go figure. Arrive, quoted 900, which usually I would simply turn around and leave, but sitting in car for almost 6 hours, I took the long way w/stops, conversation ensued, called, blah blah blah, then woman sitting at computer turns and acknowledges call, after to long a wait, obviously waiting for us to say, ok, 900, but notices I’m ready to leave, and all is squared away, at ‘our special rate’. so have the little lady call and make reservation, or you will be faranged when checking in. The room, good and bad, good..location again/balcony, bed next to window for ac’d view, the bad, lack of good initial building skill, and maintenance, hmm, big surprise. Would compare to top mansion or ruysuk, nothing special, except location, and TM/RS better maintained. Hot water was warm, not a problem now, but here during cool season, I don’t think it would feel very warm, as coming out of ground much colder. An extension cord, is recommended if having any electrical with you, as I always do. Only one outlet, with 2 plug ins, tv/frig. Dresser with light, actually no bulb, as nowhere to plug in anyway, and light in bathroom, exposed, instead of glass covering which was missing, along with a partially screened vapor exhaust area to roof, hence mozzie entrance, so bring your mozzie zapper, ‘don’t leave home without it’

Besides the negatives, actually minor, I’m almost nit picking, but it is a ‘resort’, and hoping the high end rooms are in better shape, or I wouldn’t consider them a good value. Apparently negative not a problem, as we stayed another night. Consider it a decent value for the area, and of course, that location thing, especially if planning on going to PRNP, which is not for me, as been there when free, or allowed in, I’m special, as we got there so late, no charge as closing within hour of so, a few years back. Went to main overviews, nice, but nothing different from the country side I drove thru this time, taking the kut chap road, to ban phu, then coming in loei from the north, 290 kms total, much slower than direct route, but much nicer scenery, which meant slow at times, as many curves and hills to negotiate. But very nice, so for me, CC, no need to pay 200/me, 50/car, 20-40 thai entrance fee for park, to basically see the same thing. IMO, think the drive was better than what’s in the park. Ok, enough, pics below, hope this helps, I would recommend a stay there, or at least a reservation, as there are many other places on the way into the park, none of which I checked out, you may want to before checking in, but stop and look at the view from restaurant first, then do little recon, probably return unless finding something better. I was too lazy and late in afternoon to look. Did stop at florra hill resort on the way, 650 w/brekkie, passed on it, as tried to scam us for more expensive room, saying none available, and one that is, someone checking in early tomorrow, so can’t rent out…………………yea right. And very few cars in the parking area or room areas, must be packed. At PRR, I believe we were the only ones staying there.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 21, 2009, 12:58 pm

From the balcony:

From restaurant/dining deck area:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 21, 2009, 2:40 pm

We went to the same resort Christmas 2008...a few photos included. If you want a killer view, leave the resort, headed back toward Udon, just a few KM from the resort, take a left to the road that runs to Thali (we did our 90 day check there no problem in Dec). About halfway to Thali, you'll be at the top of a mountain range with a wow-view of the valley below. Nice sala up there for photo opportunities.
The tasty meat dish was on display at the market, in the unrefrigerated section. I considered it for breakfast, but decided to take a pass.
Attachments
DSC00245.JPG
Road to Thaili. No charge for the view!
DSC00245.JPG (94.99 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
DSC00190.JPG
Market food
DSC00190.JPG (61.46 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
DSC00180.JPG
Phurua resort, Christmas 2008
DSC00180.JPG (126.41 KiB) Viewed 6369 times

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”