Phayao house build

Northern Thailand forum
irlguy1
udonmap.com

Phayao house build

Post by irlguy1 » September 18, 2015, 5:12 am

Hi guys

I am hoping someone here can help me.
I know its an Udon forum but there are no similar forums for Phayao.
I am trying to source a builder for a concrete house build. If anyone has a contact that they know to be professional and trustworthy I would appreciate the info.
I have been reading up on the wealth of info here as a lot of it applies to my own build plans.

Thanks

Dave

udonmap.com

Phayao house build

Post by 12345 » September 18, 2015, 8:59 am

When do you plan on breaking ground, and do you already have a lot to build on???

Also, a ball park price per sq meter is about 10k baht, if that's not in your ball park, let me know, as I'm not going to waste my builder's time. Did that 3 times already. Either they didn't even have land yet, or silly design, and I'm an open minded person, as my house is unconventional, or simply low balled him on price, silly prices.

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Re: Phayao house build

Post by irlguy1 » September 18, 2015, 4:19 pm

12345 wrote:When do you plan on breaking ground, and do you already have a lot to build on???

Also, a ball park price per sq meter is about 10k baht, if that's not in your ball park, let me know, as I'm not going to waste my builder's time. Did that 3 times already. Either they didn't even have land yet, or silly design, and I'm an open minded person, as my house is unconventional, or simply low balled him on price, silly prices.

We already own the plot. It's 6 ngan of rice paddy so we will need to raise it first for the 2 ngan that we plan on building on. As soon as that is sorted ( if he has contacts for soil ever better )
We want to build ASAP.
Nothing huge or extravagant just a 4 bedroom with kitchen and dining room etc.
10k per sq meter sounds pricey considering bkk is at 8k and the current price in phayao is roughly 6k and udon is 4k
Do his. prices include everything, tiles etc do they build ready to move in houses?
Thanks for the reply.

Dave

JR
udonmap.com

Phayao house build

Post by JR » November 4, 2015, 5:35 pm

Think I saw that Udon house for 4k pr m2. About 30 m2, corrugated steel as walls and roof. No kitchen or bathroom of course but if that is what you want..... I dare say it has been a long time since the building cost in Bangkok was 8k pr m2.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Phayao house build

Post by waanjai » November 4, 2015, 8:01 pm

It is amazing to realize how badly prepared a lot of the wannabe a home owner in recent times are. They don't even have a plan - better: house plan. Although there are many free and pre-approved plans available that are still relevant - at least in Esan.
These were assets of house-builders some 10 years ago. Today they seem widely be unknown. :lol:

http://www.dpt.go.th/download/PW/house_ ... ehome.html

http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans/

http://www.coolhouseplans.com/index.html?ordercode=c133

http://www.thaibuilding.blogspot.de/

http://www.dreamhomesource.com/

http://www.eplans.com/

http://www.smilehomes.com/index.html

harry68
udonmap.com

Post by harry68 » November 4, 2015, 9:02 pm

irlguy1 wrote:
12345 wrote:When do you plan on breaking ground, and do you already have a lot to build on???

We already own the plot. It's 6 ngan of rice paddy so we will need to raise it first for the 2 ngan that we plan on building on. As soon as that is sorted ( if he has contacts for soil ever better )
We want to build ASAP.
10k per sq meter sounds pricey considering bkk is at 8k and the current price in phayao is roughly 6k and udon is 4k
Do his. prices include everything, tiles etc do they build ready to move in houses?
Thanks for the reply.

Dave
Ive just started my build and have planned it fairly well and budget worked out at 2.5(but i expect it to blow out to 3 mil) for 155m3 house with a small pool and good felung kitchen taking up 680k of the budget take them out and its 1.8/155= 11,600 m2
sure you can build for as cheep as you want but you end up with what you paid for.
I would think you can build much of a house for anything under 9000 m2

I'm no builder

I have a fairly good spread sheet with what my costs have been and of what i expect to pay
PM me if you would like some help
plenty of good info on here but also lots of negative *******

good luck

MrFixer
udonmap.com

Phayao house build

Post by MrFixer » November 5, 2015, 4:13 am

My fiancee built her house a couple of years ago and it worked out at just over 10000THB per square metre. Two bedroom (one with en-suite), bathroom, small Western-style kitchen. She is very careful with money and I was not too closely involved (so she wasn't paying over the odds because a Farang was on the scene). I really don't know what you could build for 4kTHB/m2, but I'd not be keen to live in it. In particular you need to consider the thermal environment in the house and that probably means avoidance of the red bricks and using aerated concrete blocks (which are a little more pricey).
If need to construct an embankment on the rice paddy then bear in mind you should ideally leave it to settle and compact for some time. You will probably need to construct a retaining wall for the embankment (don't cheap-out on that, otherwise you'll just be adding to the hundreds of collapsed walls one sees in Isaan).

maaka
udonmap.com

Phayao house build

Post by maaka » November 5, 2015, 5:52 am

ditto waanjai and MrF....we did our own simple design, but plenty on the net as above, or is that below,,,agree, infill land needs 2yrs to settle to be on safe side..think about the sun heating the concrete walls, and roof..think about septic area if rice land..most villages have a guy who trucks dirt..ours is 350bt per medium truck..our house is 6m x 13.5m with 2 garages and a 4m x 9m outdoor tile area/patio( its the blue jobbo on here) all up, 9 something...no air con,fans...compared to the farm implement shed I live in when back home, and her papa's old house, its a castle

grievous
udonmap.com

Phayao house build

Post by grievous » November 5, 2015, 12:18 pm

The house we built in Nongbualamphu a couple of years ago cost around 9000 baht per sqm. I would think 10k would be a reasonable price these days for labour and material. Is the 4k per sqm for labour only and you supply parts and delivery?

noosard
udonmap.com

Phayao house build

Post by noosard » November 5, 2015, 2:21 pm

The best bet for a builder is to go around the local building sites and inspect what is being done
Talk to the guys there
Talk to the boss if there
They will all give you ideas if you listen to what they have to say
When you have someone keep a sharp eye on the building

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » November 7, 2015, 5:06 pm

harry68 wrote:
irlguy1 wrote:

We want to build ASAP.
Thanks for the reply.

Dave
Ive just started my build and have planned it fairly well and budget worked out at 2.5(but i expect it to blow out to 3 mil) for 155m3 house with a small pool and good felung kitchen taking up 680k of the budget take them out and its 1.8/155= 11,600 m2
sure you can build for as cheep as you want but you end up with what you paid for.
I would think you can build much of a house for anything under 9000 m2

I'm no builder

I have a fairly good spread sheet with what my costs have been and of what i expect to pay
PM me if you would like some help
plenty of good info on here but also lots of negative *******

good luck
Would appreciate the spreadsheet. We won't be building a pool just yet though :)
My budget is 1.2 mill for 3 bed with one ensuite ,1 car port, 2 bathroom
Falang kitchen/ living room ,outdoor BBQ/Thai kitchen area and TV room.
That's to include fittings and tiling.

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 13, 2016, 5:37 pm

Dirt going down next week and have been told by 3 builders and an architect that it only needs 3 months to settle and a good rain downpour.
So the time has come to find the builder. We have the plans so hopefully we can find someone decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » December 14, 2016, 10:18 am

irlguy1 wrote:Dirt going down next week and have been told by 3 builders and an architect that it only needs 3 months to settle and a good rain downpour
Irlguy,
I know it's your house and your money, but I would seriously reconsider that advice.
I had the dirt down for two years before i built.
We have had only two small cracks in the first 6 months, (happy with that). To be expected.
The two year settlement advice is not just for Thailand but anywhere in the world.
The ground needs time to settle, not just one good downpour, (which you are unlikely to get this time of year anyway).
Unless you are drilling down to some bedrock for your house support, I would stick with the two year advice from the guys above.
You could end up with a real costly mess.

But, in the end, it is up to you.

My house cost about 12,000p/m, and was a lot less than the quotes that I got from the large builders in Udon, and I am very happy with the result.
You won't get much fro less than that, I don't think, but it depends on what you are asking for.

Good luck and please keep posting as you go along.
It's always interesting to see what others are doing.

As Harry said, a few ******* on here, but lots of good advice here too.
There will be plenty of people following this thread as there is with mine.
Mick

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 15, 2016, 2:55 am

Cheers for the input Mick. It's a bit daunting getting different info from people. I will start adding to the saga as it unfolds. I really hope I don't have to wait 2 years though. Living in a wood house with the inlaws is not my goal for the next few years. They are cool and treat me great but I miss my luxuries like running hot water and walls I can't see through

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 15, 2016, 8:32 am

I was always lead to believe (but am no builder, by any stretch of the word :D ) that it was necessary to wait a year after filling land, before building. The concept given to me was that it allowed the 3 Thai seasons to settle the ground.

The large building developers don't do that, but they use mechanical means to compact the soil.

Without doing that & just filling & waiting 3 months, especially at this time of the year, wouldn't give you a very firm base I think..That would lead to long term building settling issues that are not easy to cure.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » December 16, 2016, 9:09 am

Irlguy.
I've been thinking about this overnight.
The advice above all has merit, especially if the house settling affects your doors and windows.
This could be a massive problem to fix.
Like I said, may house settled a little bit as all constructions do, but nothing serious.
It is a serious consideration.

Give your position to move from family house, (and I was the same), can you rent anywhere for a couple of years?
This would give you time to plan all the aspects of your build including tiles fittings and all that stuff.
Deciding on all these things is very time consuming as there is so much choice around and in hindsight, I wish I had of given myself more time to do this as well.

Just a thought.
Mick

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 16, 2016, 2:04 pm

Thanks again Mick I appreciate all input. With regards to renting it's money we don't really have. We live in her dads place for free
I am trying to find out from a friends husband and engineer if it's possible to build the house raised a bit from the dirt and built on pile drivin concrete as maybe that's an option but I don't know

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » December 16, 2016, 3:21 pm

Maybe I am missing something but having built a few houses over the years in the UK mostly on Clay, House Foundations should not be built on Back Fill, the foundations should rest on stable subsoil, in the case of unstable clay which seems to be the main subsoil around Udon, Piles or a Raft Foundation should be used. Piled Foundations should have reinforced Beam Floors.
The First step in any House build project should be a Soil Sample test bore to see what lays beneath. Obviously the weight of the house, single story, multi story will also have to be taken into consideration when designing the foundations.
I can understand the mentality of using the local knowledge of the builders but if you want peace of mind and no cracking don't look to save money on bad advice for your foundations, I have spent over one third of my house building budget just getting out of the ground back in UK.
If you don't mind the odd crack or two then ignore the above. TIT and as far as I know, no one from the council will come and check your work and probably a bad build claim against a builder would fail in court.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 16, 2016, 3:25 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:Maybe I am missing something but having built a few houses over the years in the UK mostly on Clay, House Foundations should not be built on Back Fill, the foundations should rest on stable subsoil, in the case of unstable clay which seems to be the main subsoil around Udon, Piles or a Raft Foundation should be used. Piled Foundations should have reinforced Beam Floors.
The First step in any House build project should be a Soil Sample test bore to see what lays beneath. Obviously the weight of the house, single story, multi story will also have to be taken into consideration when designing the foundations.
I can understand the mentality of using the local knowledge of the builders but if you want peace of mind and no cracking don't look to save money on bad advice for your foundations, I have spent over one third of my house building budget just getting out of the ground back in UK.
If you don't mind the odd crack or two then ignore the above. TIT and as far as I know, no one from the council will come and check your work and probably a bad build claim against a builder would fail in court.

Thanks for that info it's appreciated.
Would u know how far down the concrete piles should go down for a bungalow going on rice paddy. If I raise the dirt with fill then pile drive supports do I need to wait for dirt to settle?

irlguy1
udonmap.com

Post by irlguy1 » December 16, 2016, 8:02 pm

Hoping to get some pics of the land uploaded tomorrow

Return to “Northern Thailand”