Affirmation to marry

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
EssexGaz
udonmap.com

Affirmation to marry

Post by EssexGaz » July 3, 2010, 10:46 pm

I am travelling to bangkok next week to go to the British Embassy to sign the Affirmation to marry form

I am flying down on the morning flight with airasia and coming back the following night

Although I have lived In thailand for over 2 years I have never had the need to go to Bangkok before

Just a few questions:

How far(timewise) is the Embassy from swampy and how much should a taxi be?
I understand that if i get seen before 11am, I can get back the document the same day?

how long is the waiting time to get seen at the embassy?

Are there any translation services near the Embassy that anyone can recommend?

how far is the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs where I have to get the document stamped?

any help would be appreciated

letigger
udonmap.com

Re: Affirmation to marry

Post by letigger » July 4, 2010, 12:55 am

1. Allow one hour by taxi (depends on Traffic) cost 400 to 450 baht
2.can be done, but I got mine the following morning
3.If you get there when it opens not long, you should be seen within 30 mins
4. yes but dont worry about translation there you can do by Ministry of foreign affairs, cost is about 500 baht
5. From the British embassy about 25 mins (again depending on traffic)

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » July 4, 2010, 4:51 am

Stay on that straight and narrow path.

Cozy at Ten hotel on Sukumvit soi 10 at 1400 baht would be nice economical base if spending the night, plenty of restaurants within 500 meter radius especially on soi 11, and easy to get back to the UK embassy for 40 baht by taxi.

Keep away from soi 4 and soi 23 just outside that 500 meter range.

johnty.
udonmap.com

Post by johnty. » July 4, 2010, 7:29 am

Hi Essex Gaz, You are a lucky man to know about this in advance,when i needed to get this document i was sat having lunch in Steves bar(god rest him)when he informed me of what i needed,it was a Wednesday afternoon and i was to marry that Sunday(everything else was arranged and paid for).We caught an early morning flight to BKK and arrived at the Embassy at approx 10am(long queue's by then),we were stood in the queue when we were approached by a young woman with clipboard asking what we were there to get,we answered her question and she offered to help us, at this stage she told us exactly how much it would cost(9000baht if she had us married and registered in 1 hour,no cost if she did not),i was in a rush,the deal sounded fair and she seemed very genuine, we accepted,she next enquired the approx time, it was 10.50am. 1st visit to her office(just across the road)to check and photocopy all our paperwork next back to Embassy(shes has us wait while she greases a few palms)past the long queue ,straight in and up to the appropriate dept which was full to bursting with people,take ticket was her request,there were about 40 people before me but somehow i was next to be seen(after she spoke to them),next was my affirmation,signed the papers,whilst the courier was on the phone ordering taxi,we exited the Embassy and a taxi immediately arrived to take us to Amphur, in we go and every seat is full but 1 brief conversation with the girls behind the desk and we are next,all paperwork handed over including affirmation,we signed tonnes of paperwork and was informed that all paperwork fully translated into English would be with me at home address in Udon within 1 week(it was),again she asked the time,it was now 11.40am(she wanted to be the first to congratulate us on officially being man and wife)that was nearly 4 years ago now,not the cheapest way to do it and yes i took a chance because it could have been a rip off but it wasn't,i was happy to pay,we still got married on the Sunday and had all the proper ceremony and still look upon the Sunday as our real day.Not exactly what you requested but if in a rush may be helpful,chok dee Johnty.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » July 4, 2010, 8:25 am

Hi,
Got married last Oct in Udon, after 5 years of living with her, at what I think was called the family office. Went in there seen one person, he then told us to sit down, 30 mins. later seen another person then was told to sit down. Seen third person who took use to bosses office, Was asked if I was married before, said yes and showed him my divorce papers, and passport, from Britain. After half a hour more we were given some papers. asked Tum, my wife, what do we do now, she said nothing by Thai law we are married. A morning well spent. She said do you want me to change my name to yours, I said yes as this will help if anything happened to me. Went to another office in Udon where they issued I.D. cards to Thais and she got her name changed. No need to go to BKK and pay 9000B, only cost me a few hundred B and no travelling. You can get your marriage recorded in U.K. if you want but there is no need for it.
I said jokingly to Tum, I wish you can get divorced that quick and easy, did not go down to well.
British Embassy which is a five min walk from Nana Hotel is only open 4 hours a day 1000Hrs to 1200Hrs and 1400Hrs to 1600Hrs. I had to visit there to get a letter stating my income to get a visa. You can do all by post if you want to.
Cheers Doug.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 4, 2010, 9:06 am

I would suggest you look on the British Embassy website as to what paperwork you are required to take. http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help- ... -marriage/
The second time I went, there was a guy infront of me in the que who didn't have a clue. Had an arm full of paperwork with him, hardly any of it relevant. Took 30 minutes to sort him out and even then he had to come back. On my second visit it only took 5 minutes.
Why I went twice?. Made a mistake on my affirmation letter confirming my divorce. On the letter I put my middle name as J, where as in my passport it is John. No problem I said, I'll change the J to John there and then. Cannot do they said, it is a legal document and alterations not allowed.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » July 4, 2010, 11:20 am

Hi,
What it says in that document is the British version. We are in LOS. and under Thai. laws. I and any other British person on Oct. the 27 2009, in Thailand, not Britain, DID NOT need a so called off. letter from the B.E. to marry. And it is still the same now. As I said I got married at the family Office in U.T. All that was required was 1. Passport and 2. If I had been married before a divorce paper, and a spare morning. If anyone doubts this they can contact me I will show them proof of this. ie my Thai marriage cert. which is recognised in Britain. And I am getting a pension for this ie. being married and wife not working. A extra 89GBP a week, along with my 170GBP O.A.P. which I paid into for all my working life. The only time you have to contact the British Embassy is if you want your marriage recorded in Britain. This is what the B.E. in Bangkok told me. This is NOT, I repeat NOT compulsory and will not effect your rghts.
The only benefit you get for recording your marriage in Britain, check web site, is that if you and your wife intend living in Britain, we do not, and you need any marriage forms you can get them from Britain rather than having to get them from LOS. This information was given to me by the B.E. Thailand.

If anyone doubts this They can contact me and I will show them all the forms etc. that I have. Why waste 9,000B about 200GBP on something you don't need. Enjoy the money yourself. When I was down in BKK getting a letter from B.E confirming my pension I called in a firm who said they can do everything Marriage, embassy letters etc., there a dime a dozen, for a certain sum. Knowing the ropes I did it my way for a few hundred B. WHY pay extra for the same result. I checked with a person who had got married in LOS and did it the same way as he did.
As I said before if anyone does not believe this contact me and I will show you the proof as I am not bullshitting.
Anyone who has paid this type of money 9000B to get married I will say you have been well and truly done.
Cheers Doug.

EssexGaz
udonmap.com

Post by EssexGaz » July 4, 2010, 3:32 pm

Thanks for the advice

The flights were already booked from a while back when airasia had a promotion on

I am staying at the Sawasdee Langsuan Inn Bangkok which I believe is near the Embassy

I just wanted to know some rough prices so that I dont get ripped off!!

I will let you know how I get on

ThaiVisaExpress
udonmap.com

Post by ThaiVisaExpress » July 4, 2010, 6:34 pm

Report at 9 am collect at 1 pm, you can do it all in a day translation should be 400/600 baht.

johnty.
udonmap.com

Post by johnty. » July 5, 2010, 9:31 am

Douglas,you keep blethering on about the 9000 baht in your posts,why,i don't know.Firstly, you didn't pay it i did and my lovely wife is worth every baht, secondly,i did not have the good fortune as yourself to speak to somebody who knew an easier and cheaper way to do things i merely wanted to do things correctly and marry legitimately,thirdly,the story i told was my experience and i only wrote it as a different perspective from my knowledge,thank you for your interest,johnty.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”