30 day extension only once?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
SanukJoe
udonmap.com

30 day extension only once?

Post by SanukJoe » September 6, 2010, 1:40 pm

I'm not sure if this has been covered before but the info I have is accurate and up-to-date.
I received it from two friendly immigration officers at the Udon office, after asking about an explanation in order to put it on Udon Map.

The 30 day extension of a tourist visa is possible. The tourist goes to Udon Immigration and applies for the extension, pays 1900 ฿ and gets the extension.

THIS IS FOR ONE TIME ONLY!!!

If a tourist leaves the country to a neighbour country (Malaysia, Myanmar, Lao, Cambodia) and returns with a 60 day tourist visa he CANNOT apply for a 30 day extension after the 60 days are nearly over.

The only way is to go out of the neighbourhood, e.g. Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, Oz, come back on a tourist visa and apply (one time) for a 30 day extension.

So the advice (I have given to someone too) that you can use 30 day extension every time is incorrect.
Example of advice: get a double entry visa in e.g. Lao, after 60 days get extension 30 days, go Lao and back, 60 days again plus extension 30 days. Then go Lao for new visa.

This is NOT ALLOWED and you won't get a 30 day extension the second time, unless you went out of Thailand to another country than the neighbour countries.

So the best possible scheme: 60 day visa > 30 day extension > Lao and back with 60 day visa. Then Lao for new visa.
Where it says Lao it could also be Malaysia, Myanmar or Cambodia, new visa not in Myanmar.

This info I received personally on Sept 2, 2010 at Udon Immigration.

Joe

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: 30 day extension only once?

Post by BobHelm » September 6, 2010, 1:57 pm

The 30 day extension to the tourist visa has always been
'To a maximum of 30 days & at the discretion of the Immigration Officer'
Nong Khai used to make people applying for it show them an air ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days & then give an extension just up until that date - as long as it was within 30 days that is.
The last time i went to Nong Khai (over a year ago now) they gave 30 days, no questions asked.
It seems that now Udon Immigration are making their own interpretation of the rules. What they say is actually incorrect, but because of the actual rule leaves it to Officers' discretion they can make up any crazy excuse/rule that they want. :(
Would be interested to know what Nong Khai are currently doing...

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » September 6, 2010, 2:43 pm

You're right Bob, the discretion of any officer is what makes the troubles.

One cannot find everything written down, impossible.

I'm a man who follows the rules/laws. But if I cannot find any rules I'm lost and depending on the discretion of the officer.

I once went to NK for nothing as they wanted an air ticket. I said I travel by shuttle to Lao, they have no tickets on name. No use, the officer said I'm sorry, you have to go to Vientiane. It was on a Friday...

I had heard of people getting 30 day extension two times in a row, that's why I asked as it was very quiet at Udon Imm. The officers talked first to their superior and then came with this news. I asked: one time can, one time per what? Per year? Per visa? Per passport? They were obviously embarrassed by my questions but answered finally indicating the difference if someone goes further out of LOS than the neighbour countries.

Let's see what the next change will be.

Joe

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 6, 2010, 3:12 pm

You are right Joe. :D
It actually amazes me that the visas are handled this way.
If someone wants a Tourist visa...off to Laos, pay Laos $30 odd, get a free Thai visa, free entry back into Thailand....zero financial gain to Thailand.
Extension....1,900 baht for 30 days - good money to the Thai coffers & every conceivable (& some inconceivable :D ) barrier is put in the way to ensure it is not done.
In a logical country they would be INSISTING that you apply for an extension before using another Tourist visa!!! :D

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » September 7, 2010, 11:16 am

Bob, I mentioned the Lao government will be pleased with this as they receive $ 35 per person each 60 days, and the Thai government loses 1900 ฿ for only 30 days extension.

The obvious answer was that they (the 2 officers) did not make the rules, just explaining what their superior said.

TIT

Joe

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » September 7, 2010, 8:06 pm

SanukJoe wrote:Bob, I mentioned the Lao government will be pleased with this as they receive $ 35 per person each 60 days, and the Thai government loses 1900 ฿ for only 30 days extension.

The obvious answer was that they (the 2 officers) did not make the rules, just explaining what their superior said.

TIT

Joe

I got a single entry 60 day visa for Laos a couple of weeks ago from the Laos Consul in Khon Kaen.
At the border (Friendship Bridge) I was only given 30 days.

bjoehoe
udonmap.com

Post by bjoehoe » October 4, 2010, 5:03 pm

BobHelm wrote:The 30 day extension to the tourist visa has always been
'To a maximum of 30 days & at the discretion of the Immigration Officer'
Nong Khai used to make people applying for it show them an air ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days & then give an extension just up until that date - as long as it was within 30 days that is.
The last time i went to Nong Khai (over a year ago now) they gave 30 days, no questions asked.
It seems that now Udon Immigration are making their own interpretation of the rules. What they say is actually incorrect, but because of the actual rule leaves it to Officers' discretion they can make up any crazy excuse/rule that they want. :(
Would be interested to know what Nong Khai are currently doing...
I had a 60 day tourist visa issued at the tahi embassy in Norway. Last week Udon Immigration deinied me a 30 day extension as I already had one this year, and I could only have it once a year. As I had 3 extensions in 2009 I asked if this was a new regulation (I believe I actually asked twice), but the female officer avoided to answer clearly.
I went to Nong Khai Immigration today and asked for a 30 day toursit visa extension which was immediately granted.
The male officer there (most of you know who...) asked me why I did not get it in Udon. When I told him they would only give it once a year he seemed not to know about this practise and did not seem to approve of it much...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 4, 2010, 6:00 pm

Thanks bjoehoe.
Proof positive (if anyone needed it) that Immigration staff do not understand the rules that they are suppose to operate under. :(
Sadly, as with other visa type issues with Immigration there is little that the Falang can do but grin & bear it, abide by the stupidity of the request or otherwise find a way to work around it.
I am glad that you managed to get the 30 day extension in NK... :D

Little Italian Udon
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Little Italian Udon » October 4, 2010, 6:18 pm

I have been refused a 60 day extension on 90 day O marriage visa just a few weeks ago.The lady at the airport told me i can only have it twice a year.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”