UK Visa Applications

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 6, 2008, 3:50 am

I had the same same as Zidane it all turned around in no time, asked her a couple of very simple questions, although i was in the same room i just sat there and waited in the packed room and did-not get involved..don't think they was interested in seeing me anyway, but this was in the embassy it's self sometime back, i think the new place might well be very differant, jeans and shirt for me and clean shoes of course,(not that anyone was checking) a suit not necessary. :lol:

The only thing i did get help with was the marrying part, well worth the baht, had a guide taking you around to the marriage office to sign papers and translations all done by next morning, in time to submit all paper work.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » June 6, 2008, 10:07 am

Rob,
My wife was interviewed alone.I wasnt involved other than to pick up her visa from the counter.But some interviews,the farang went in with the wife...dont know why,maybe they requested it ??
Interview was in english but you could request a thai interpreter.Dont know about Welsh.....theyd probably do it but charge you 1000 quid for the visa ! :D
But that was 3 years ago at the embassy.....different place now,certainly different price ! :(

Agree with b.m. 100% about getting the marriage paperwork translated.
We did exactly the same.The guide takes care of everything.If you did it yourself it could drive you crazy....where to go,what to do etc.
Well worth the 6000 baht we paid.

But 515 quid for the visa is a lot of money.Make sure everything is spot on.Leave nothing to chance.....paperwork,appearance,making sure you both give them exactly the same info.etc.
Good Luck.

Zidane

Robtaff
udonmap.com

Post by Robtaff » June 8, 2008, 5:06 pm

Well I've bitten the bullet and am getting married early July.

Won't sort the visas out on this trip just get my affirmation to marry from the British Embassy then get it translated to Thai (from the guidance on the embassy website they state that there are translation places on the same street).

Then I have to take all that to another office -Ministry of Foreign Affairs which has an express service - anyone know how much that costs?

Then fly upto Udon Ampour office and get married. Gonna be hectic and frustrating waiting for different documents to be processed but the end result will be worth it. :D

briang
udonmap.com

Post by briang » June 10, 2008, 8:18 pm

Hi Rob,

All I can find is that the Same Day express Service was 800 baht in 2006! I can't find any update on the MFA's site as it's all in Thai. I'm planning my wedding for late August. Glad your path finding for me... :lol: .

Keep us informed!

Chock dee

Brian
Brian

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 10, 2008, 9:10 pm

This site is in English..

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

And they have a link on "- How to register marriage under Thai law." which is

http://www.thaichicago.net/clate/for_marry.html

Sadly it won't work for me (Firefox says it can't find the server). Now this is a regular happening for me on GPRS - sign on at the wrong time of day & it won't even find hotmail for me :( :( So I don't know if it is a bad link or just me... :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 10, 2008, 9:21 pm

OK on FF BH.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » June 10, 2008, 9:40 pm

Lots here on the fantastic Thai Consul Website in Hull UK.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/visas1.asp

The link works Bob but very slow, I run Firefox.

Good Luck Robtaff
:guiness:
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 10, 2008, 10:28 pm

BM was the link any good???

Prenders, you are correct the consulate in Hull is fantastic, including the website...

Rob, it would be worth your while reading the Hull web site as Prenders suggests - if that still leaves you with questions then you can actually e-mail the consul - he is a British guy - & I have found him very helpful in the past at answering queries as long as it is something he can help with.

On a personal note I would suggest that you find a translation service off the main embassy drag as they tend to be somewhat cheaper. Any Tuk Tuk driver will take you to one - but you might want to check the price on the first & proceed elsewhere if you get my drift :D :D - it is quite a journey from the embassy to the Ministry anyway...

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 10, 2008, 10:34 pm

Yeah both links work fine and good info for others.

this is whats on the second link regarding "Foreigners Marriage to Thai"

Registration of Foreigner's Marriage in Thailand

Marriage for foreigners in Thailand should be performed according to Thai Law. Procedure and requirements are as follows:

1. Appear in person with your passports at your Embassy in Thailand to complete declarations attesting that you are single and free to marry in accordance with Thai Law (blank forms are available at the Embassy).
1. Take the completed declaration to a reputable translation office to have the contents of the declaration translated into Thai.
2. The documents together with translation and copies of passports have to be taken to the Legalization Division of Consular Affairs Department (address: 123 Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok 10210 Tel: (66-2) 575-1056-60 Fax: 575-1054 E-mail: [email protected] ) where the Consular Official's signature will be authenticated. This normally takes 2 days. The documents and translation are then ready for submission to the District Registrar who will register the marriage and issue the marriage certificate in Thai.

2. In case of the woman is a widow or a divorcee, the dissolution of the former marriage must have taken place at least 310 days before the next marriage
Doctor's pregnancy test is accepted if the time between the former marriage and the next marriage is less than 310 days; but this rule shall not apply if;
1. a child has been born during such period, or
2. the divorced couple remarry, or
3. there is an order of the Court allowing the woman to marry.

♥ All documents must be translated into Thai before submission to the District Registrar.
♥ The documents together with translation must be submitted to the District registrar at least one day prior to the marriage registration day.
♥ For more information, please log in the web site of Provincial Administration Department.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 10, 2008, 10:42 pm

Thanks BM.....
This normally takes 2 days.
Yes I think this is where the 800 baht express service comes in so that it can be done the same day. But they do shut early & there is quite a bit of waiting to do even with "express"... :D

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 11, 2008, 11:15 am

Zidane wrote:These costs have absolutely gone through the roof !
Three years ago my wife got a marriage visa for the UK and the cost then was 19500 baht which equated to about 280 quid then......now the cost is 515 quid !! :(
Initially I went along to the British Embassy in Bangkok to submit her application.
I was told that within 14 days she would hear that she would either be asked to attend a short 15 minute interview,a longer one hour interview (bit of a grilling....appointment about 3 months down the line) or her application would be rejected without an interview.
We got a letter to say she had been selected for the short 15 minute interview....surely the best option ?
Anyway,we turned up,smartly dressed to find out that there were 12 couples in for the same type of short interview,including ourselves.
Of the 12 couples 9 were successful and 3 were rejected.
My wife was successful and she got a 2 year visa for the UK with the option of applying for a settlement visa after this time.
If any of the applications were unsuccessful you didnt get your money back,although you could appeal.Failing that you had to apply again and spend the same amount of money again. :(
You have to do your homework and make sure you and your wife/girlfriend tell them exactly the same story....where you met,what date you met,your forthcoming address in the UK,where youve stayed in Thailand etc.....and a smart appearance is absolutely essential for both of you.
One of the English guys on the same interview as us turned up in a Liverpool football top and shorts.......their application was rejected.......Liverpool fans beware ! :D :D

Zidane
No Surprise there Zidane, SOME of THOSE Liverpool Fans would be very dangerous IF they had the brain they were SUPPOSEDLY born with !!!

Robtaff
udonmap.com

Post by Robtaff » June 13, 2008, 12:03 am

briang wrote:Hi Rob,

All I can find is that the Same Day express Service was 800 baht in 2006! I can't find any update on the MFA's site as it's all in Thai. I'm planning my wedding for late August. Glad your path finding for me... :lol: .

Keep us informed!

Chock dee

Brian
Hi Brian,

I've booked a hotel near the British Embassy for convenience and to get there early on the Monday. My mate is going through the whole process a week before so I will be even more informed by the time I get there. I will of course post all my findings from the trip.

Going to get the TW's visa application rolling aswell.

Should be a hectic week.

ThaiVisaExpress
udonmap.com

Post by ThaiVisaExpress » August 5, 2008, 3:49 pm

Waiting time at the moment is 2/3 weeks for processing your application.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 5, 2008, 4:39 pm

Robtaff wrote:
briang wrote:Hi Rob,

Keep us informed!

Chock dee

Brian
Hi Brian,

I've booked a hotel near the British Embassy for convenience and to get there early on the Monday. My mate is going through the whole process a week before so I will be even more informed by the time I get there. I will of course post all my findings from the trip.
Going to get the TW's visa application rolling aswell.

Should be a hectic week.
Almost 2 months now! :lol:

ThaiVisaExpress
udonmap.com

Post by ThaiVisaExpress » August 5, 2008, 4:56 pm

Its actually cheaper to get married in BKK you recieve a 2 year settlement visa straight away cost £515 add ILR after year 2 £750. I do this for a living im based in the UK , its by far the cheapest option the reason some of my clients go for the other option is to ensure they settle.

hxjohn
udonmap.com

news

Post by hxjohn » August 6, 2008, 3:07 am

This visa is for people who are already married. If you have been married for over four years indefinite leave to remain in the UK may be granted if the language and citizenship requirements for ILR have been met. In all other cases a probationary visa valid for two years from the date of issue will be given after which further leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain will need to be applied for in the UK. From 29th July 2008 visas are being issued with a validity of 27 months as many people do not travel immediately the visa is issued. This then allows about three months to travel to the UK and still complete the 24 month residency requirement for indefinite leave to remain. This must still be applied for approaching the end of 24 months in the UK.

http://maxpages.com/orchidofsiam/UK_Settlement_Visas

ThaiVisaExpress
udonmap.com

Post by ThaiVisaExpress » August 6, 2008, 2:34 pm

Yes you need to be aware though as you cannot take KOL in Thailand i doubt many members will qualify.

Edited by Udon Mod Team. If you are interested in advertising please contact the Administrator.

wiking
udonmap.com

Re: UK Visa Applications

Post by wiking » June 8, 2009, 1:37 pm

I have a friend on 20 and he found a thai girl on 18 and they will marry in July

can she get visa to UK - some say 16, other 20 and other 21

is it some who know anything about this

is their an office in Udon who is helping with these visa things

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » June 8, 2009, 3:17 pm

www.ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/visas/

Wiking, tel the relevant department in Bangkok (visa application centre tel provided) and they can give you an answer about age,how long she needs to have known him etc.

I hope that he is not just a loved up kid :|

ThaiVisaExpress
udonmap.com

Post by ThaiVisaExpress » August 31, 2009, 1:00 am

Its 21 before she may enter the UK however you may apply 2 months before this date asking the ECO to date her visa from her 21 st birthday.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”