Non Imm O visa.

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
lahgon29
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by lahgon29 » December 16, 2012, 12:34 pm

Just arrived a couple of weeks ago in Udon to retire here. I got a non immigrant visa O at Brisbane consulate..It's dated 26 Sept 2012, but I got here 27th Nov. Do I just have to leave the country 3 months after arriving here, say, to Laos, and come straight back in? I read about reporting to Immigration in Udon, or is that not for this visa?
Also, when would be the best time to apply for the, I think OA visa..So I don't have to leave the country every 3 months?
Do I have to get a criminal record clearance and medical clearance from Oz? I didn't really plan on going back for a long while..No problems with the 800000 in the bank..
I'm sure when I've done things once, it will all seem easy, but for now it seems a tad confusing..I asked the missus about it and she advised "Pay somebody"..Logical, for her.
Any advice from sages of this forum will be greatly appreciated.
Apart from this confusion, everything seems stress free...First time in years!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by BobHelm » December 16, 2012, 12:46 pm

I assume that it is a multi-entry 'o' visa then... :D

You have to leave Thailand up to 90 days after entering. The exact date will have been clearly marked in your passport by Immigration.
You could apply for the Extension to stay by reason of Retirement (or Marriage, whichever applies) anytime you like, at the Udon Immigration office. It is sensible to do that during your last 90 day stay from your Non Imm 'o' as you have already paid for that!!
You would not need a medical or criminal clearance from Australia to do that, as you are not (technically) applying for an OA visa, but an extension to your existing O visa.
The exact requirements vary by office & time but if you check in the older threads the current list is pretty clearly marked. As 'belt & braces' you can go & check with the Immigration Office just before you apply to see exactly what the current list is.

lahgon29
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by lahgon29 » December 16, 2012, 6:36 pm

Thanks, Bobhelm... Just the one thing. Can I just cross the border into Laos, and turn straight around and come back? That satisfies the requirement?

Tafia
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by Tafia » December 16, 2012, 6:45 pm

lahgon29 wrote:Thanks, Bobhelm... Just the one thing. Can I just cross the border into Laos, and turn straight around and come back? That satisfies the requirement?
Yep, basically thats it. You can get your Laos visa at the bridge.

lahgon29
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by lahgon29 » December 16, 2012, 6:55 pm

Thanks for that, Tafia..All seems much easier than I thought yesterday.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by RLTrader » December 16, 2012, 6:56 pm

Yes all you need to do is get stamped in and out. You also might want to check out the shops on the Lao side. Will take baht, US dollars, and credit cards. Upon coming back, make sure the stamp is for 90 days.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by BobHelm » December 16, 2012, 6:59 pm

As Tafia says..

If you don't like queuing then you need to be a bit 'thoughtful' about your crossing time & day.
In general
You don't get many who will need to queue for Laos visas at the weekend. But you do seem to get quite a busy time with ASEAN folk.
In the week, anybody who needs to go to the Thai Embassy for a visa will need to get there before noon, when they close. So if you go after 11 am. then it is likely to be less busy.
On return, officially the Thai Embassy hand back visaed passports at 1pm. So it is likely to be busier after that time than before.

lahgon29
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by lahgon29 » December 16, 2012, 8:30 pm

So go between 11am and 1pm on Monday to Thursday? I have to get used to the fact that I'm retired now, and don't have to worry about fitting everything into the working time frame, and weekends..So If I get stuck...So be it. I'll check out the shops as suggested :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by BobHelm » December 16, 2012, 9:04 pm

The 'duty free' shops just on the Laos side of the bridge are well worth a look.
Nice to sit & have a lao beer & a french style filled loaf & watch the world rushing on by.. :D .

Anything Electrical needs to be treated with a bit of caution as, from my experiences of a while ago, manufacturer labelled products might often be a surprise to the manufacturer themselves.. They were selling 7 inch i-pads there 2 years before Apple announced them to my knowledge & I bought a Nokia dual sim phone that even Nokia's web site didn't list.. :D

Alcohol & tobacco represents a large selection & substantial savings but there are legal limits for importation into Thailand. A litre of spirit & 200 cigarettes, or equivalent, per person from memory.
The Thai authorities don't seem to worry too much about a bottle of spirits & 5 litre of wine, for example, but can & do get heavy about too many cigarettes or an obvious 'business buy' of alcohol.
Also need to think about carrying the stuff back on the shuttle bus, so too much is not easy without private transport.

Handbags used to be a cheap buy there compared to Udon but I gather that the prices have crept up & if you want a real bargain now it is necessary to go into Vientiane & the markets there.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by bluejets » December 17, 2012, 5:37 am

I think you need a couple of passport size photos as well.............at least I had to back in May this year if my memory is correct.
Cost was about Aus$35.00 (paid in Baht)

douglas
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by douglas » December 17, 2012, 7:38 am

Hi,
Cost to enter LAOS varies depending on what country your passport was issued. For U.K. P/P it was 35US dollars to enter. Get your dollars at a bank, as at the border it is a rip of. I went trough once and only had B they charged me 1600B about 40USD. at the time.
If this is your first time you can call into one of the many agents just before the bridge and they will take you through by car and show you what to do and wait for you to do a u-turn at the border, also wait for you to have a beer and roll. and get your duty free. Tthe price was 2200B This includded all the paperwok, photos, border fees etc..
Anyway welcome to Udon and i hope you enjoy your stay.

rick
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by rick » December 17, 2012, 6:10 pm

Photo's not necessary - i have never provided one, theoretically they charge you 1 dollar more but sometimes do not. Unless your wife has a passport she needs a border pass (I presume she will go with you) which you get at an office on the Nong Khai road - sure it is named and photographed in a previous thread. Allow about 2 hours for the getting the visa, return and re-entry; that's also allowing 30-45 minutes for shopping.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by newtovillagelife » December 17, 2012, 6:50 pm

On the cost to enter Loas, if you only have a 100 us bill do they give the change back in us or kip. Maybe a dumb question...

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by merchant seaman » December 17, 2012, 7:02 pm

Never had a problem with change. Have used 100 $ bill before no problem. Change is given back in US dollars.

rick
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by rick » December 17, 2012, 9:15 pm

Same for me last week - gave $100 and got change in dollars back.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by Svein66 » December 18, 2012, 1:40 am

BobHelm wrote:I bought a Nokia dual sim phone that even Nokia's web site didn't list.. :D
Me too a few years ago... :D

bluejets
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by bluejets » December 18, 2012, 5:37 am

rick wrote:Photo's not necessary - i have never provided one, theoretically they charge you 1 dollar more but sometimes do not. Unless your wife has a passport she needs a border pass (I presume she will go with you) which you get at an office on the Nong Khai road - sure it is named and photographed in a previous thread. Allow about 2 hours for the getting the visa, return and re-entry; that's also allowing 30-45 minutes for shopping.
Perhaps my eyes deceive me, but the square in the top right corner of the visa application clearly says "photograph".

http://www.laoparis.com/laoembassy/user ... orVISA.pdf

rufus
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by rufus » December 18, 2012, 7:13 am

Rick's post is incorrect. A photo is necessary.
I will also say that if you think the duty free shops are worth a look, then things must be awfully expensive in Udon these days. Liquor and cigarettes are cheaper in town.

douglas
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by douglas » December 18, 2012, 9:13 am

Hi,
The single malt, i like, is over 1600B in most places in LOS, at duty free it is 800B. This for a 75cl bottle. Rufus, I would like to know where in LOS you can get a single malt, Glenmorangie, for less than 800B. I will then buy it there.

rufus
udonmap.com

Non Imm O visa.

Post by rufus » December 18, 2012, 9:37 am

Two places I would suggest that you try:
Vansom Wine shop
Baravin
They are in the same road as the Lao Plaza Hotel, on the opposite side, on the way to the morning market.
I am off to LOS in a week or so. I am taking my own booze.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”