udonmap.com

Attn. UK Passport holders

Post by Sakhonnick » March 28, 2014, 7:43 am

it keeps bouncing back to me :|

plumbers
udonmap.com

Post by plumbers » March 28, 2014, 9:07 am

Yes i have just checked as i sent early this morning , i must apologize it has been returned in my spam.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » March 31, 2014, 3:27 pm

I just got my new (renewal) passport back from Liverpool two weeks ago!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 4, 2014, 10:37 am

Well some good news for renewal, although it will not pay for 2 trips to Bangkok..
Immigration and Security Minister (James Brokenshire): Her Majesty’s Passport Office is committed to delivering better value for money for our customers.

In keeping with this commitment, I am pleased to announce that from 7 April the passport fee for customers applying for a UK passport overseas will be reduced by £45 for adults and £28.50 for children. The new fees are as follows: Adult 32 page passport £83.00 Child 32 page passport £53.00 Jumbo 48 page passport £91.00 (Child and Adult)

This reduction comes as a result of efficiency savings made over the last 3 years by bringing back the processing and issuing of overseas passports to the UK, whilst maintaining the highest levels of security and customer service.

This reduction follows the 2012 decrease in fee by £5 for all UK citizens applying within the UK.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... s-overseas

pompui
udonmap.com

British embassy closure dates

Post by pompui » April 10, 2014, 3:47 am

Just a heads up,gov.uk have sent an email that the Embassy will be closed on 14,15,18 and 21 April for what it describes as to celebrate songkran and easter holidays :shock: so Brits don't get any ideas of dying on those days \:D/

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 22, 2014, 7:08 pm

[email protected]

Has anyone had a response from this helpline yet? It's supposed to be the one where you book appopintments for passport renewal, isn't it?

plumbers
udonmap.com

Post by plumbers » April 22, 2014, 8:45 pm

Yes i reeived an appointment by email to attend a pre booked appointment the same day i sent the
email to renew my passport.
I gave them three different dates that would be convenient for me.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 22, 2014, 9:21 pm

Good, so it is working. I plan to renew my passport fairly soon. Thanks.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 24, 2014, 6:11 pm

Just a heads up. I emailed the Bangkok office just to ask what sort of notice they required for me to suggest three possible dates/times, thinking they might be inundated. No, reply came back telling me to come week after next. Planning to go/return in one day, I cannot make the suggested 0830 hrs time - but that's to be sorted.

Why I actually posted here. The advice on photos says 'unaltered by computer software'. Obviously, facial features shouldn't be altered, but is anyone aware whether that includes the background colour (has to be cream or light grey)? I'd like to use my local shop here, but the very pleasant lady said she'd have to use Photoshop to alter the background.

Those who went to the shop near Udon Prison? Did they have a cream or grey background sheet/wall for the photo?

With the hassle of going to Bangkok, I could do without any hiccoughs in the application processing.

Oh, and in typical Thai fashion, I'm told the coloured copy of my existing passport which I have to provide, must be signed on every page. It's beginning to sound like Immigration.

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » May 15, 2014, 3:35 pm

An Update:

Yesterday i did my re newal and first time application for my sons British Passport

must be submintted at 28th floor of Trendy Building on Suk soi 13, turn up 5 mins before your appoitment as you will be left standing in steaming hot corridor

This is new Visa section for both British and Australian Citizens and they handle passports

Very plesant Thai lady went through all documents and gave me back my passport which was not cancelled and all original documents that were subimtted for my sons application, gave me back a confirmation slip for both applications.

Was told will get an email 4-6 weeks to come collect both Passports

in and out within 30mins

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 15, 2014, 5:21 pm

So the bottom line is that YOU STILL HAVE to go back to Bangkok to collect passport.
So let me think, two trips at a cost of approx 3000 Thb each plus ;possibly staying overnight if the appointment is early. A cost of Thb 8000 just for a renewal.
Could one confirm costs so that we can start lobbying our respective MP's and others in the UK to state this is now getting ridiculous.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » May 15, 2014, 5:41 pm

Similar to you, Sakhonnick, for renewal of my passport. Bit chaotic up there, with most people wanting visas I think, until you queue, get a number and are let into the inside office.
Actually, I had asked for a late morning appointment, not sure what flights I could get. Subsequently, managing to book first flight out of Udon, rolled in two hours before my appointment, but was let in and dealt with immediately. They have a pre-printed list and just ticked my name. Perhaps I got the same, pleasant girl? Plenty of time then until my late afternoon flight back.
Just hope there's no issue with my application. The girl did ask me to sign the back of my photos although, perhaps until this point, the instructions are to leave them unmarked back and front.
Incidentally, Khun Paul, my understanding is that you can ask someone to collect the new passport on your behalf, providing you give him/her letter of authority etc.

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » May 15, 2014, 6:26 pm

Yes I was also asked to sign back of both of the photos

to collect I was told to pick up in person with my passport and my sons thai passport as ID

Im guessing my current passport will be cancelled in the UK when they make the new Passport I was told my passport was not cancelled yesterday but advised not to travel with it, "out of country"

KP, good luck with getting your MP to fix it you have no chance

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 15, 2014, 6:34 pm

KP, good luck with getting your MP to fix it you have no chance

Perhaps if you offer him an all expenses paid trip to LOS to see how they handle the problems here, you may have an outside chance of getting a reply :lol:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » May 15, 2014, 8:57 pm

stattointhailand wrote:KP, good luck with getting your MP to fix it you have no chance

Perhaps if you offer him an all expenses paid trip to LOS to see how they handle the problems here, you may have an outside chance of getting a reply :lol:
But Don't forget......It would have to be Business Class ( At Least ) & 5* Hotel in LOS......

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » May 16, 2014, 7:05 am

Just another one of those hardships living in a foreign country. Just be thankfull you don't have to travel back to the UK for a new passport. Or you could move to Bangkok and be closer to the Embassy.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 16, 2014, 9:04 am

^ For most passport holders it is only a once in 10 year event (children passport an exception).
It is only for border hoppers like me that it needs to be done every 5 years.. :shock:
As you suggested MS I am taking the opportunity of a visit to the UK to do it there. It is not exactly something that rushed at you in surprise.

I think that the antagonism that you are seeing to this is more to do with the general feeling that UK citizens have that their Government just couldn't give two figs for them.
They are quite happy to continue to take income tax from you but if you actually expect even the smallest thing in return then forget it.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 16, 2014, 10:23 am

The simple fact that the situation as evolved due to the corruption regarding the HK office and the lax postal system here should not be discounted.
DHL dropped the new passport in Bangkok then send it internal ( Thailand ) using the Thai postal system.

Therefore becuase of lack of controls the UK government decided that the passport ( a very sought after commodity ) was insecure.
While I am under no illuisions that my MP and old friends in The Conservative government are unable to do anything, the fact that constant dripping about it will / may prompt some real time investigation and sensible thought, about the problem.
Despite my best efforts I am still awaiting a answer to the problem of a man who cannot travel to Bangkok to appear in the flesh as it were. What would happen to him. Recently as many are aware attempting to get the Embassy to act in relation to an old friend who recently died took over 2 months and many phone calls, and they were still too damn late. So the question of what would happen to a expat who was unable to travel to Bangkok in line with the new procedure has as yet been unanswered. Would it take the threat of imminent imprisonment ( Visa/ Passport problems ) for them to act.
God forbid it should happen but with the crackdown on Visas currently under-way anything could and probably will happen, there must be a way in which a a person incapacitated be able to renew a passport without the requirement of travelling to bangkok surely.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 16, 2014, 2:06 pm

Perhaps a power of attorney or something like that? I think there will be hundreds (or more) of farang in Thailand who are physically unable to comply with Thai visa laws or the requirements of their home countries to get a passport as the dying of their light approaches. Even Khun Paul might leave this planet in an unlawful state.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 16, 2014, 3:06 pm

Me, perish the thought, I would move heaven and earth to make the buggers I pay considerable tax to, to bloody well act, they are after all my employees as I am a taxpayer AND as such I only receive a pension and NO other niceties which if I returned would cost them considerably.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”