Retirement Extn. Under Consideration. New Hoops?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » February 11, 2015, 4:31 pm

Thanks for the update Hoopoe,will advise a couple of farangs about the charge increasing the further away from Udon if wanting same day renewal of extension based on retirement 8)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 11, 2015, 6:48 pm

got my "extension under consideration" stamp in late December paying the fees then. They said come back in 30 days.. I told them I would be out of town then. They said, come back in a couple of weeks it should be done.. Came back, the intern took our passports, checked the "book" came back, said, "please wait about 10 minutes", came back in 10 minutes, reviewed our visa extension stamps pointing out the dates, reviewed our multi-re-entry permits pointing out the correct dates, waied us and said, "good-bye."..
Dave

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » February 11, 2015, 7:01 pm

No big deal for me either way. I'm on a retirement extension because I'm retired and among many things one thing I have plenty of is free time.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 11, 2015, 11:30 pm

For marriage extension, had to wait 7 weeks. Maybe a bit longer because of New Year holidays for Imm. staff. Finally picked up Monday. At least they only backdated it 4 weeks, not 7 weeks.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 12, 2015, 12:32 pm

Maybe the main problem is that we vent here and fail to inform Bangkok, which is my plan after I get my Retirement stamp. Think I will send the wife and see if done. My stamp says to come on a Sunday, which of course they are not open. I made a copy of the below from the other site

Patong immigration officer removed amid corruption claims

PHUKET: An official at the immigration office in Patong has been removed after complaints were filed against him for charging foreigners for services that should be free, Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong confirmed today.

The news comes more than two and half months after Governor Nisit gave the Patong Immigration chief 15 days to explain why his office was charging for free services.

The governor ordered an explanation after a foreigner filed a complaint with the Phuket Damrongtham Center [ombudsman’s office], alleging that a Patong immigration officer charged 500 baht for a confirmation of address letter (story here).

“I had the chance to pass the issue on to a high-ranking police officer to take care of,” Governor Nisit told the Phuket Gazette today.

“I do not know many details about the investigation or even the officer’s name. However, what I do know is that the officer who allegedly charged the 500 baht has been removed from Patong Immigration.”

Immigration officers were not immediately available for comment or to name the officer transferred.

However, Governor Nisit could not confirm whether or not the officer would face any disciplinary action or were the official had been transferred to.

Governor Nisit urged people to file complaints of any alleged corrupt activities by officials.

“Even though I have no direct authority over police officers, I will investigate your problems and see what can be done within my authority,” he said.

“Any person who has problems [with corruption] are welcome to file a complaint at the Damrongtham Center. I will do my best.”

The Damrongtham Center is located at Phuket Provincial Hall on Narisorn Road in Phuket Town. Tel: 076 213203. Email: [email protected]

Alternatively, complaints can be filed directly to the Governor’s Office through a web form, click here.
- See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-new ... 40keI.dpuf

original complaint story referred above:
PHUKET: The Phuket Governor has demanded that the Patong Immigration chief clarify why a foreigner filed a complaint alleging extortion by his officers.

The immigration chief has been given 15 days.

“A foreigner filed a complaint at the Damrongtham Center [ombudsman’s office] at Phuket Provincial Hall – the complaint is now in my hands,” Governor Nisit Jansomwong told the Phuket Gazette yesterday.

The complaint claims that immigration officers are charging foreigners fees for services that are supposed to be free, such as address confirmation letters. A similar complaint was published on the Gazette's Phuket Forum. It read:

“I just bought a new motorcycle, so I had to do the address confirmation again yesterday [on October 8],” the reader wrote in the comment section of a Gazette online story regarding work permits and visas (story here).

“Patong [Immigration] charged me 500 baht. Isn't this supposed to be free?”

If the explanation for why a foreigner might have misunderstood the situation fails to demystify the incident, the governor said he would establish a standing committee to investigate the case.

“When we get complaints, especially from foreigners, we must act swiftly. If they do not understand and get upset, they could tarnish Phuket’s name. The kind of bad reputation created from these situations can spread quickly [around the world] through social networks,” Gov Nisit said. -

where's that number to file complaints at
On the Bangkok web site there is a link for comments/complaints which is what I plan on using.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 12, 2015, 1:01 pm

Wife just left to check if done, after calling. Not sure done, she said that they said "to come in, not to call". :lol:

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » February 12, 2015, 1:22 pm

Excuse me asking,but do we have a "Damrongtham Center [ombudsman’s office]"in Udon-Thani?Any info please..i'm getting tired like many else of what's going on in the Immigration office here in Udon...You all know to well who im thinking of..lady whith glasses..is ONE..90 day guy whith his little "tipbox"...and so on.

Think it's time to act soon..So please info on were,telephone numbers.adress..Damrongtham Center [ombudsman’s office]in Udon.

TIA

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 12, 2015, 2:55 pm

The NACC (National Anti-Corruption Commission Office) is located in City Hall in Udon. Look for this sign.
I believe there's a country-wide toll-free number as well....1205.
I'd guess the officials at the office would need some pertinent info.....name, time, place, details.

It might help if you wore one of these t-shirts next time you go to immigration
Attachments
579614_553981807972519_879510726_n.jpg
10592638_339360796224170_4174301505626824387_n.jpg

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » February 12, 2015, 2:59 pm

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 12, 2015, 3:17 pm

I recently had a situation at the Immigration office where I wanted a letter for the Dept of Transport, waited patiently and was dealt with speedily, now the cost was zxero but I ghave the young lady a tip as she was very good, ( she was a trainee IO).
A few days later had to return due to a clerical error according top the Dept of Transport, changed and rectified no problem.

So although many have had problems it would seem generally I have found them to be helpful , and no I do NOT know anybody personally and yes I did have one problem with our so-called mr happy at Nong Khai ( but then who didn't. I have chatted to most of the IO at Udon and found them to be helpful some more than others. I reiterate that maybe you follow a idiot foreigner who is a pain in the proverbial and the IO is fed up , whatever the reason, to date I have never paid for something which is free and I always ask questions about a particular problem before it arises and follow advice given. So therefore I think through a situation, if I do not know the answer I ask the questions and then use that information to fulfil the requirements, that then makes every visit a pleasant experience for me and the IO concerned.
IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE but does require some THOUGHT.
So before you really think about complaining try talking they are not robots neither are they gods, just human beings like us in some cases having to deal with people who can be the most awkward obstructive and downright rude people they ever meet. I had the same as a police officer and I can tell you it is hard NOT to be bloody awkward.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 12, 2015, 3:26 pm

Well wife just returned with stamped passport. I will guess that everything is OK, for it has stamp good til 1/24/16. :lol:

Don't know about the rest of you all, but seems a little more than scary to base where I live on the whim of some immigration official, with zero days notice to vacate, cause that seems to be what I went through the last 5 months. :mad:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 12, 2015, 3:28 pm

Jing Jing wrote:http://damrongthamsongkhla.go.th/frontpage

1567 or 074 321562
The 074 phone number is in Songkla.

The Udon office can be contacted at 042-221-890
http://www.xn--72czbpbbf5dflcac3due9ck9cvci51bxa.com/

I'm not sure why the people in Phuket contacted a Ministry of Interior office.....damrongtham, but that's apparently what they did. Seems they'd contact an office under the NACC. t.i.t., so who knows?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 12, 2015, 4:27 pm

[quote="RLTrader"]Maybe the main problem is that we vent here and fail to inform Bangkok, which is my plan after I get my Retirement stamp....
Somebody may already have tried that :-" , seemingly to no avail, as they continue to do what they want. An armoured division pulling into the car park might do something. :-k . You might try, on your way out, scattering copies of the Patong story about.

From a notice I found on my windscreen, numbers for reporting corruption are 1111 and 022831271-84.
I've said before I have no problem in paying reasonable fees for various administrative tasks, just make it official, use the extra income as they think fit(Officers' salaries?, if they are really that poorly paid) but also throw out any Officer putting money in his/her pocket.

I'm pleased some applicants have a smooth rise at Immigration. Personally, I don't like being 'had' and it's been tried on me for 500 baht and 700 baht respectively, similar to the Patong case. A stand up row with the Officer with glasses, two times into the office of the Senior - who agreed I was right. I suppose he really gave the junior a dressing down? So, whilst I've no desire for a fight, I'm certainly wary when I go there.

Perhaps I'm a known face now? Certainly on my recent visit, they weren't helpful.

The Thai wife doesn’t understand why I get frustrated!........
Off to Immigration for the yearly application for extension based on marriage. Priding myself on my preparation, I’m disappointed with myself to find the Officer wants the English version of “Affirmation of Freedom to Marry” form. I should know by now to bring EVERYTHING. The certified Thai translation which I have brought is, apparently, not sufficient alone. I enquire whether they keep files and a copy of the form will be there from last year. The response is that last year’s files are not there and, in any case, one has to start completely afresh. So the two copies of all that previous paperwork and whatever goes on the computer now means nothing?

So it’s going to take me the best part of two hours to go home and return with the missing document. As I have the Headman of the village with me as my witness, I asked if they would assist with interviewing him now, keep the papers pending my return, and I could drop him back home without taking up more of his time. No! Thanks for your understanding and flexibility.

I’m back after lunch (I know there’s no staggered lunch break, so no point in coming back before 1 pm) with the said document, wife, Head Man doing the round trip and young son now in tow too. Having signed perhaps 50 sheets of rubber-stamped papers, presumably to the effect that they are genuine and accurate, the Officer presents me with a document written completely in Thai. I understand this to be a summary of the information, which my wife has to sign too. There is no response from the Officer when I say I’d be stupid to sign a document I don’t understand and I’ve no idea if it’s accurate. (I could be guarantor for her new car, as far as I know! :-) My wife, typically not wanting to make a fuss, points out that there’s a note at the bottom to the effect that the wife can translate for her husband. Not good enough, I feel. I’m the visa applicant, other documentation is translated into English, why not this? So I start to endorse the form ” Signed, as requested, but not understood”. That’s not acceptable to the Officer, who tears it up and prints a new copy. I sign!

Fortunately, there’s a request for the official 1900 baht fee ONLY. With my wife certainly hoping I don’t ‘rock the boat’ any more, I resist the temptation to query why my passport is stamped “visa under consideration’, I’m told to return in 5 weeks, when I understand other immigration offices issue the visa stamp approval immediately. Nothing to do with the 1000 baht, no receipt, request should the applicant actually need the passport quickly, I suppose?

Oh, then takes maybe 20 minutes to find the Officer who blocked my car in.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 12, 2015, 5:00 pm

Brian Davis wrote:The Thai wife doesn’t understand why I get frustrated!........
I think mine does, but to be sure her new job is everything, except for the 1st visit for renewal. So she gets to do the 90 day reports, I figure after a couple, she will hate it, but maybe not. I just do not need the aggravation anymore.

I reason I now carry a copy of the above report, is in case they want a tip, plan on showing them the thai translation copy, just to see the response I get. :)

boes
udonmap.com

Post by boes » March 3, 2015, 6:16 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:I went into Udon Thani Immigration yesterday to do my annual extension, 4th on this current Non “O” visa. All my paperwork was in order, the officer puts a stamp into my passport then tells me to come back in 30 days to get my full extension. I cannot have a Re-entry Permit until then either

Whilst she was doing her thing I asked her, through TW, when this requirement was implemented she replied since August, “the army have instructed us to do it this way”! – OK, I thought that’s when the crack down on retirement extns, took place.

Why hadn’t I seen any mention of this goal post move on ThaiVisa or UdonMap?

I then asked her why 2 friends were granted their full extns., in the last two weeks. AND this was very inconvenient for me as TW and I are going to Australia early in the new year.

She then tells me, through TW, she can expedite “under consideration” for 1000 Baht.

Presto 12 Month extension and re-entry permit – the consideration lasted 5 minutes.

Excactly same thing happened to me today. First stamp tells me to report on April 2. I got the 1 year extn. and the usual slip in the passport about 90 days report on May 31. It doesn't give any meaning to go on April 2nd. Or should I ??
BTW B 3000 without receipt :evil:

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 10, 2015, 2:13 pm

Passing the front door, I thought I'd pop in quickly to check the procedure Nong Khai followed.

A rather lovely, youngish female officer, confirmed that retirement extensions are completed on the day, a One Stop Service as she said. There's no being asked to return weeks later.
As for extensions based on marriage, yes the papers have to be sent away to Korat and there is an 'under consideration' stamp and request to return - as we already knew. I enquired what of the situation that an applicant wanted to exit the country during the consideration period. She indicated a 30 day extension and re-entry permit could be given.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 23, 2015, 4:42 am

Hoopoe wrote:Having monitored this since August, i read on a web page that it was 1 week of consideration for retirement visa ,UDon want 1 month ,then it seems to depend on where you live as to the cost of speed , ( ie we can do it now )within Udon eg, 5 kilometers it's 1000 bht, extra , outside 5 kilometers 2000 bht extra , on another note ,i renewed my passport 3 years ago ,was Charged 500 bht for the service ( no Bin ) of moving my Visa ,( this is supposed to be a free service ) they put the wrong date stamp on the visa ,,i pointed this out ,the reply was it's ok , SO 3 years later they point out that the date on my visa is wrong and want to see my old passport, Now it's 2000bht to correct their clerical error or pay 7000bht overstay, beware gents check the date's when they stamp your yearly renewal visa
heads up , the immigration office it at again ,just been called round to a friends house to look at his visa stamp ( albeit a bit late )the permission to stay date is wrong they only stamped it for 6 months not 12,(this is on a yearly marriage extension visa ) we will be going in to request this be correct in the next few days ,see what extortion they try this time,

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » March 23, 2015, 7:13 am

I assume you have already checked the expiration date of his passport. They will not renew a visa beyond the expiration date of the passport. I just picked up my visa extension a few days earlier than scheduled without any problem at all.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » March 24, 2015, 6:56 am

fdimike wrote:I assume you have already checked the expiration date of his passport. They will not renew a visa beyond the expiration date of the passport. I just picked up my visa extension a few days earlier than scheduled without any problem at all.
your dead right , we got there, it transpires his passport needs renewing ,he said when asked that he knew this ( bollocks)so the good side to this is now he can start renewing his passport before he walks back in for a report with an out of date passport , iv'e also warned him they may ask for 500 bht to transfer the visa into his new passport , even though it's a supposedly free service, :oops:

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » March 24, 2015, 7:05 am

It's easy to overlook the expiration date of the passport. It happened to my wife who is a dual national here on an American passport. It also happened to a friend of mine as well. However, what I didn't appreciate is the IO not saying anything about it when they processed the vias extension.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”