Special Tourist Visa (STV) 90 Days

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
samuel
udonmap.com

Special Tourist Visa (STV) 90 Days

Post by samuel » September 16, 2020, 4:36 pm

Richard Barrow in Thailand
43 Min.
Here is some more information about the Special Tourist Visa (STV) which could start as early as October. It looks like the Thai Longstay Company Ltd will be acting on behalf of the TAT and the government to help you with the visa. Much in the same way as Thailand Privilege Card Co., Ltd. does for Thailand Elite card holders. More details soon.
119227170_4999480183399142_5597253851375126800_o.jpg
119676514_4999480200065807_9184461882286382022_o.jpg

samuel
udonmap.com

Re: Special Tourist Visa (STV) 90 Days

Post by samuel » September 16, 2020, 4:38 pm

no need to speculate about this.
let's just wait for clarifications.
many more questions to arise and to be answered…..

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 16, 2020, 6:48 pm

Even with the limited amount of information about it now, I don't think they're going to get as many bites as they want. And the more information that is provided will probably make it even harder. I initially thought this might work for me next year, but this sounds like it's going to be a very complicated and expensive process.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 16, 2020, 7:44 pm

If I am reading the tea leaves correctly, everything seems to be pushing the immigration function towards using the "agents". There is obviously a big quid to be made for the public servants by doing so, rather than relying on their (in terms of the general Thai population) generous government salary.

I had a mate who worked in a different advisory field (import/export) in both Indonesia and Thailand. His observation was that the highly corrupt Indonesian customs officials were babes in the woods compared to Thailand.

It would seem that the skills are transferable.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 18, 2020, 7:04 am

would have suited me perfectly, not to much hassle, but the ' Chartered Flight ' part sunk me. Anyway I will enquire further down the track, as to late now, cos all booked to escape homeward for a much needed break away

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 18, 2020, 7:22 am

maaka wrote:
September 18, 2020, 7:04 am
would have suited me perfectly, not to much hassle, but the ' Chartered Flight ' part sunk me. Anyway I will enquire further down the track, as to late now, cos all booked to escape homeward for a much needed break away
It is directed at high net worth individuals outside Thailand who want to spend 90~280 days in country. It has all the same requirements for entry regarding testing, entry certification, COVID-19 insurance, quarantine, and flights organised by embassies(chartered). The only big benefit is that it’s likely that if available the embassies will be actively helping.

The numbers are also strictly limited.

It isn’t useful for short runs out of Thailand.

It is still the case that if you are in Thailand you have ways of staying.
Once you leave Thailand getting back is far from easy or certain.

If you need a break, there are many hotels in Thailand with huge discounts.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » September 18, 2020, 7:33 am

Is it just me??? Seems the Thai Govt isn't concern with making it easier for retired expats to remain in country, figure it's the lowest hanging fruit from the money tree.

(rough guess) Avg expat adds 1million baht to the Thai economy each year.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 18, 2020, 7:56 am

^ Yes, and at a push there's maybe 4,800 foreigners on Retirement Extensions in Thailand. With maybe half of them doing it the "right way" and thus each effectively leaving maybe a million baht locked up and ostensibly unusable in their local bank account, 2 billion baht is still not enough for a down payment on a Chinese submarine.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » September 18, 2020, 10:07 am

slightly off topic ....but,i wonder whats going to happen to the guys that still have valid non o visas that need to do border bounce every 90 days but can,t because the borders are closed

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 18, 2020, 11:08 am

TAXIfor7/11 wrote:
September 18, 2020, 10:07 am
slightly off topic ....but,i wonder whats going to happen to the guys that still have valid non o visas that need to do border bounce every 90 days but can,t because the borders are closed
That is quite clear. Either get a legitimate extension, pay an agent for an illegal/illegitimate extension or leave by the 26th

if you are on the acceptability list then testing, entry certification, COVID-19 insurance, quarantine, and flights organised by embassies. All costing loads of cash.

If you leave your time outside Thailand will be from several weeks to years.

Just because you have a valid visa does not mean that you will be able to use it.
There is no obligation for Thailand to help you to use it.
A visa only gives you permission to approach an IO at a border and request entry.
If the border is closed, you are out of luck.
If you can’t get on a plane to, or off in, Thailand you are out of luck.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » September 18, 2020, 11:30 am

tamada wrote:
September 18, 2020, 7:56 am
^ Yes, and at a push there's maybe 4,800 foreigners on Retirement Extensions in Thailand. With maybe half of them doing it the "right way" and thus each effectively leaving maybe a million baht locked up and ostensibly unusable in their local bank account, 2 billion baht is still not enough for a down payment on a Chinese submarine.
It's enough to cover the graft and corruption charge/tax!! Which what's important, right??. Just saying!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 18, 2020, 11:49 am

TAXIfor7/11 wrote:
Go home OR talk to an agent (but be bloody quick about it)

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » September 18, 2020, 11:52 am

tamada wrote:
September 18, 2020, 11:49 am
TAXIfor7/11 wrote:
Go home OR talk to an agent (but be bloody quick about it)
Thanks for your concern but im sorted

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 19, 2020, 7:12 am

Thanks ' Sometimes ' for info and suggestions..Yup theres plenty of places here to have a break, but my government pension requires that in order to get it all year, I must spend six months in my home country. plus the missus has become demanding, so time I went and sorted out the rest of my family, even if it takes a year

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 19, 2020, 7:40 am

maaka wrote:
September 19, 2020, 7:12 am
Thanks ' Sometimes ' for info and suggestions..Yup theres plenty of places here to have a break, but my government pension requires that in order to get it all year, I must spend six months in my home country. plus the missus has become demanding, so time I went and sorted out the rest of my family, even if it takes a year
I would check to see if the 6 month rule has been suspended at the moment due to present conditions, if so given that many countries are seeing a rise in cases, a conversation with SWMBO pointing out the chance that a trip could become not so long but permanent may postpone the need for travel for sometime.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 19, 2020, 8:30 am

Well I had to bite the bullet...used a Visa Agent, and now I have a Retirement Visa no worries till November 2021. Yes I had to pay a fee, but no need for me to put 800k in the bank, and I don't have to step into an IO and deal with any BS. Well worth it.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 19, 2020, 10:52 am

newtovillagelife wrote:
September 19, 2020, 8:30 am
Well I had to bite the bullet...used a Visa Agent, and now I have a Retirement Visa no worries till November 2021. Yes I had to pay a fee, but no need for me to put 800k in the bank, and I don't have to step into an IO and deal with any BS. Well worth it.
Retirement extension not visa

Don’t forget that if you don’t have the money in the bank now you will have to use an agent next year as well, unless you switch to a marriage extension and even if you change you may have to use an agent again as your current extension could be seen as invalid if you haven’t followed the money in the bank rules from November this year.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 19, 2020, 11:24 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 19, 2020, 10:52 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
September 19, 2020, 8:30 am
Retirement extension not visa

Don’t forget that if you don’t have the money in the bank now you will have to use an agent next year as well, unless you switch to a marriage extension and even if you change you may have to use an agent again as your current extension could be seen as invalid if you haven’t followed the money in the bank rules from November this year.
Sorry, my mistake, indeed a Retirement extension. I normally travel back to my home country several times a year, but now this is not viable financially or otherwise. For me this is an affordable and hassle free alternative. Who knows what the situation will be next year.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 19, 2020, 12:27 pm

Further restrictions on the new STV

No one is going to go for this are they?
Dr Chakrarat Pittayawonganon, a director at the Department of Disease Control, claims that foreign tourists will have to present proof of a negative Covid-19 test no more than 72 hours prior to travel. Additionally… “they must also have quarantined in their country of origin, have health insurance for international travel and a specified minimum amount of money in their bank account”. He said they will also need a record of “not visiting crowded places prior to their departure”.

And during their domestic quarantine these “visitors must have been tested twice for Covid-19 at the beginning and end of the process”.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 19, 2020, 12:36 pm

Two weeks monitored quarantine before joining a ship and again for two weeks after returning home from duty on a ship is becoming standard for ship's crew globally as they are being seen as essential workers (at last).

Since tourists can't appreciate the non-essential nature of their overseas travel, I can agree that they will find these rules unacceptable.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”