Extension based on retirement (mixed money)

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
samuel
udonmap.com

Re: Extension based on retirement (mixed money)

Post by samuel » May 29, 2022, 8:35 am

tamada wrote:
May 29, 2022, 7:36 am
The OP is asking about a RETIREMENT EXTENSION which is done without one's wife, partner or girlfriend being required to sign anything.
That's exactly why i'm thinking of changing from "married" to "retired".
After all these years i'm getting tired of all this paperwork and i want to do it independently of my thai wife.
tamada wrote:
For my RETIREMENT EXTENSION issued by Udon Immigration these past four years, they have accepted my yellow book for proof of address.
i have a yellow house book from the house of the deceased parents from my wife.
but we both are not living there anymore.
we are renting a house in town and the renting contract is in my wife's name.
the house owner will not give me a yellow house book because she is living abroad and not helpful.
tamada wrote:
As for the split income method, can't assist there but keen to know if it is a viable option in Oodorn.
yep - i'm also keen to know if and how it can be done at Udon Thani Immigration.

• split income method is still not clear - so i do hope to find a foreigner in this forum who can tell by his actual personal experience how to do it at Udon Thani Immigration.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 29, 2022, 9:19 am

Looking at the Thaivisa/aseannow forum's immigration threads, it's a total lottery as to what Immigration Office supports this option despite it being published in the Royal Gazette. A very recent thread identifies Phitsanulok as possibly doing the split method for one member. It's amazing how many of their members forget to mention where they are when they post on immigration matters.

You don't need a yellow book, only the rental agreement and possibly a signed copy of the owner's ID card. If your rental agreement is in Thai or dual-language, this should be OK.

If the owner can't provide the signed copy of their ID card, then one would need to ask this specific question at Udon Immigration in person. AFAIK, there's no legal requirement for any landlord to comply with requests for proof of ownership for their tenants. It's a ballache when you have one like this. It's something that needs to be top of the list for any foreigner on extensions anywhere when looking for a home rental. We were lucky in Pattaya in that the Thai owner (married and living in Denmark) was very quick at supplying a copy her ID card when Jomtien Immigration moved their goalposts one year (rental agreement, blue book + ID card). She had already left a copy of the blue book with her rental agent. Being already married to a farang, she probably knew the rigmarole. Historically, Thai landlords have been more reticent, especially when they haven't been paying taxes properly. Having said that, the unhelpful farang landlord isn't a total unknown, especially in Pattaya!

TBH, I haven't seen any posts from anyone doing the dual-source income method for extensions on this forum. Doesn't mean it hasn't been done but maybe you need to ask directly at Udon Immigration when you see if they have a workaround for your recalcitrant landlady?

On a side note, since you already have a yellow book, if and when you find a landlord/owner who is willing to support a change of address, I recall that exchanging/updating the yellow book at the amphur is possible and maybe easier than getting one in the first place since the bulk of the provenance has been done already?

...but don't quote me on that!

Good luck,
tam
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 29, 2022, 9:37 am

It's obvious you are NOT going to get the information you want re split income and Udon Imm requirements. If you are uncomfortable with a trip to the office maybe you need to do a one of visit with Ms Dodgy Visa - Udon. She is located near the Bangkok Hospital, a search of these forums will reveal her contact details.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » May 29, 2022, 12:31 pm

tamada wrote:
May 29, 2022, 9:19 am
You don't need a yellow book, only the rental agreement and possibly a signed copy of the owner's ID card. If your rental agreement is in Thai or dual-language, this should be OK.
my wife has it all:
- rental agreement (in thai) in her name
- signed copy of id-card from house owner
- signed copy of bluebook from house owner (from the rented house)
- signed copy of id-card from landlord
- signed copy of bluebook from landlord

so the easiest way to sort it out would be to change the renting contract from her name to mine.
i will think about this when we have to extend the renting contract at the end of this year anyway.
if there is no way to apply on "split money" then we leave it as it is. no advantage...

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » May 29, 2022, 12:36 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
May 29, 2022, 9:37 am
...If you are uncomfortable with a trip to the office....
i'm not - immigration is not far away from where we live and i'm familiar with them because i stay here for many years already without leaving the country not even for a single day....
i'm just dreaming of doing the yearly extension all by myself without any hassle and a minimum of paperwork.
eg:
- proof of income/pension and banc book
- proof of address
- TM7
- 2 pics
- 1900 THB fee
:-k
Last edited by samuel on May 29, 2022, 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 29, 2022, 1:08 pm

samuel wrote:
May 29, 2022, 12:31 pm
tamada wrote:
May 29, 2022, 9:19 am
my wife has it all:
- rental agreement (in thai) in her name
- signed copy of id-card from house owner
- signed copy of bluebook from house owner (from the rented house)
- signed copy of id-card from landlord
- signed copy of bluebook from landlord

so the easiest way to sort it out would be to change the renting contract from her name to mine.
i will think about this when we have to extend the renting contract at the end of this year anyway.
if there is no way to apply on "split money" then we leave it as it is. no advantage...
Our previous rental agreements, both Udon and Pattaya, were in joint names and accepted by both immigration offices. Unlike bank accounts for immigration purposes, joint home rental isn't (wasn't) a problem. Handy to have both names in case the Mrs needs the rental agreement to prove something in her world?

Apart from the arcane nonsense of the pictures and maps, maybe it alleviates some of the doubts that immigration may have about applicants for a marriage extension actually living together?

Anyway, welcome to Retirement Extension world when the time comes. Your missus will love you for it.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 29, 2022, 6:10 pm

samuel wrote:
May 29, 2022, 12:36 pm
Bandung_Dero wrote:
i'm not - immigration is not far away from where we live and i'm familiar with them because i stay here for many years already without leaving the country not even for a single day....
i'm just dreaming of doing the yearly extension all by myself without any hassle and a minimum of paperwork.
eg:
- proof of address
- TM7
- 2 pics
- 1900 THB fee
Wot can I say, just keep dreaming. Are as thick as you're making out to be?
GET ALTERNATIVE ADVICE OR do what the rest of us do and not rely on the 2 bob experts within this forum.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 29, 2022, 6:17 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
May 29, 2022, 6:10 pm
samuel wrote:
May 29, 2022, 12:36 pm
Bandung_Dero wrote:
eg:
- proof of address
- TM7
- 2 pics
- 1900 THB fee
Wot can I say, just keep dreaming. Are as thick as you're making out to be?
GET ALTERNATIVE ADVICE OR do what the rest of us do and not rely on the 2 bob experts within this forum.
U having a bad day over there?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 29, 2022, 10:34 pm

My post will likely upset a lot of posters but this is the way I see things. I am legally married to to a Thai lady and considered a visa based on marriage. I am also a guy who likes simple things. The marriage thing is NOT simple. I use the retirement extension option. If you cannot afford the 800,000 baht in the bank, you simply cannot afford to live here, I have been here many years and living on a tight budget will NOT be a happy retirement.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 30, 2022, 5:01 am

glalt wrote:
May 29, 2022, 10:34 pm
My post will likely upset a lot of posters but this is the way I see things. I am legally married to to a Thai lady and considered a visa based on marriage. I am also a guy who likes simple things. The marriage thing is NOT simple. I use the retirement extension option. If you cannot afford the 800,000 baht in the bank, you simply cannot afford to live here, I have been here many years and living on a tight budget will NOT be a happy retirement.
In the past, I would agree. However I disagree with your last sentence, having an extra 400k in the bank is at least 12k less in interest, that, if you drink, is a lot of beer. So it isn’t a case of can’t afford it or living on a tight budget, but don’t like to waste money for a minimal extra effort.

Also your definition of NOT simple is different from mine.

Of course I am not here on any kind of visa but that is a different topic.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 30, 2022, 9:38 am

I'm an old man and I have absolutely no investments. My nest egg is in a US bank where it earns practically nothing. For the past several years my goal was to protect my nest egg and to take no risks. I have never found a safe investment for my nest egg that pays nearly anything but just adds risk.. I even cashed in my 401K and fired my greedy investment and accountant firm. I paid the government the penalty taxes and now feel financially free. I sleep well knowing that my pensions have a healthy surplus every month and that surplus adds to my nest egg. To each his own. I'm by no means a wealthy man but I am comfortable and able to live comfortably without being on a budget.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”