foreigner registering motorbike in thailand

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
paganviking

Post by paganviking » October 29, 2015, 4:10 pm

i'm a regular visitor to the udon area to see my daughter (i'm divorced from my thai wife of 9 years.) i plan to purchase a motorbike and need to have it registered/titled in my name. i've heard many conflicting stories on this subject. can any UDMAP users offer any insight?

much obliged.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 29, 2015, 5:01 pm

I tried by myself,failed..then girlfriend used her papas housebook, and we got a letter from imm,at a price, and that pleased motor department..bikes were in my name before i took them overseas..

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 29, 2015, 5:53 pm

Can be done. PM sent

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » October 29, 2015, 6:00 pm

First, You have to decide where You want to be regarded as living.
a. If in a guesthouse or hotel, they will have asked you for your passport and will have notified immigration about your stay there. Ask them to give you a copy of their notification.

b. if in the same house where your child is residing then you need the adults that have the right to take care of the child to go with you to immigration.

Second, in both cases you will have to ask the immigration for a "certificate of residence". Since a couple of years and since these certificates took a significant part of their daily work they ask for a fee of 500 Bath for the certificate.
They will ask you for the purpose: buying a car or motorcycle and will check this answer category.

Now you can buy a motorcycle in your own name.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » October 30, 2015, 6:48 am

The certificate should be free, more tea money??

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » October 30, 2015, 7:46 am

Since a couple of years and since these certificates took a significant part of their daily work they ask for a fee of 500 Bath for the certificate.

Wanjai
Did Immigration give you this excuse for charging 500 baht for the certificate.
The Government pay their Salaries so they should decide if a fee should be charged but they have decided not to put a charge for the certificate along with changing your visa to a new passport.
It is Tea Money apparently only done at Udon Immigration.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » October 30, 2015, 5:18 pm

@ kubotatim & pal52

Is it missing empathy or missing communication abilities that led you believe that everything new within public administration in Thailand that has not yet been endowed with national receipts and Garuda stamps must be corruption, what else?

If You were so sure what would have hindered you to go to the local branch of NACC and report it?

Indeed, there have been much more applications for certificates of residence, there have been much more new passports that had to be updated with prior extensions of stay. Due to the fact that e-passports reduced the validity period and that there are more "long time holiday makers" in the province of Udon.

As you might know Udon Province is the province with the most resident farangs - as holiday makers (non-immi-o & ext.) or farangs with residence permits. Bangkok is no province.

The more farangs have own houses or rented a house the more they want to own things in their own name. Long time gone these days when all motorcycles and all cars and even houses were on the name of the Thai wife or GGF.

There had to be a mechanism of adaption to this massive social change in the povince and consequently for the workload and mixture of local immigration offices.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » October 30, 2015, 6:35 pm

no look they should be free and anyone who pays is only adding to their teamoney grab. I do not deal with udon immigration thankfully and do not have to contribute to their tea fund if you want to carry on.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » October 31, 2015, 1:46 am

kubotatim wrote:no look they should be free
pal52 wrote:The Government pay their Salaries
Hi Flower People. Love should be free, but seldom is. As almost every time entangled in a web of social obligations.

As long as the Thai Immigration Police is only serving a small segment of the resident population - the aliens or foreigners - there should be no free services at the cost of the Thai taxpayers.
It is the same with the community swimming pool in your hometown. The users - and only those - of the swimming pool have to pay the fees in order to maintain this.

Public Administrations are well advised to allocate their main ressources - the personnel - to those services that bring the most profit or welfare for their clients.
So the good or necessary services cost money:
* to be allowed to stay - ext. and permissions to stay
* to be allowed to come back - re-entry permits
* to buy things in ones own name - certificate of residence
* to be allowed to travel with only one passport
* to get a Thai driving license.

Nevertheless, Thai Immigration Police decided to offer a Freebie to the Foreigners and allocates special personnel for this task: The 90-days report. It is free. But not a right of the aliens but a gift to them. And only the hardcore among the aliens would ever consider to give them a 1.900 Baht tip every 3 months.

And You would like to call this system "corruption"? Get a life.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » October 31, 2015, 8:02 am

Get your head out of the sand of course it is corruption.

Return to “Thailand Law”