Smart air conditioner controllers

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
tamada
udonmap.com

Smart air conditioner controllers

Post by tamada » June 26, 2022, 9:29 am

Anyone tried those smart wi-fi controllers yet? They are on lazada now, available with a Thai setup menu and cost around 500 to 600 baht. You can control the aircon from your smartphone anywhere in the world. Thinking of getting one for the kids bedroom as they are unable to work with timers on the remote and sometimes they'll leave it on all night.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/smart ... 88051.html

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Re: Smart air conditioner controllers

Post by lassebasse » June 27, 2022, 8:30 am

Cannot say I understand anything after watching the movie. I would have liked an explanation on how that little thingy on the wall could control my aircon.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » June 27, 2022, 8:42 am

lassebasse wrote:
June 27, 2022, 8:30 am
Cannot say I understand anything after watching the movie. I would have liked an explanation on how that little thingy on the wall could control my aircon.
It learns your aircon controller IR codes then with your wifi connection allows your phone to communicate via the app. There may be a router firewall exception needed which the video didn't show but it should work from anywhere.

Here are a couple more videos:

Thai
https://youtu.be/cA2AQbB7r0A

English
https://youtu.be/0E620IHybn4

Just ordered one to try. I'll post back if it works as advertised.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 27, 2022, 8:52 am

I imagine the wi-fi/internet connectivity will be as easy as those smart sockets. Just need to have Wi-Fi SSID and password and bob's your uncle.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 27, 2022, 12:51 pm

For info we have 2 x smart samsung A/C which you can operate from the samsung app on your phone.

It offers all kind of features such as control from anywhere in the world, smart timers, performance data, service advice, etc.

At the time we bought the A/C it seemed like a good selling point and i was sure i'd use it, especially the ability to turn on the a/c say 20 mins before getting home.

In reality I managed to get 1 unit connected to the app, tested some of the features (from the driveway!) and then never used it again.

What I found most useful is stopping people (wife and kids) from playing with the A/C settings. First thing they'd do is turn on A/C then turn it to coldest setting immediately then 30 mins later I'd find people hiding under blankets as too cold. Used to drive me bloody mad!

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » June 27, 2022, 1:04 pm

I could have used these features a few years back when both my wife and I worked in BKK all week then flew to Udon Friday eve until Monday first flight.

On one or two occasions we found one aircon on the whole week then got to blame each other for who was last out of the house Monday morning rushing to the airport.

This feature would have saved money and ensuing sadness since it was invariably me who locked the door, right?

I will test one first in the Master Bedroom. These are 5 times cheaper than the one I was thinking about last month:

https://sensibo.com/?device=c&campaignI ... 71817&gcli
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 27, 2022, 1:22 pm

deankham wrote:
June 27, 2022, 12:51 pm

What I found most useful is stopping people (wife and kids) from playing with the A/C settings. First thing they'd do is turn on A/C then turn it to coldest setting immediately then 30 mins later I'd find people hiding under blankets as too cold. Used to drive me bloody mad!
And that is PRECISELY how I plan on using it. They're too lazy and too cold to reach out to the nightstand and turn the bloody thing off!

I could just confiscate their blankets though.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 27, 2022, 3:44 pm

It'll be a good experiment. I wish you a successful endeavor.

When you've cracked this one can you turn your attention to the problem of closing of doors. Does not matter if it's a fridge door, front door, wardrobe or cupboard door, the wife loves to open them and hates to close them. Even the annoying buzzer on the fridge does not faze her, door remains open.

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » June 29, 2022, 3:27 pm

Potamoi wrote:
June 27, 2022, 1:04 pm
I will test one first in the Master Bedroom. These are 5 times cheaper than the one I was thinking about last month:

https://sensibo.com/?device=c&campaignI ... 71817&gcli
Got my AirConet thingie today via Flash (very quick delivery time). Spent a few hours trying to get it to work.

On a Panasonic and a Mitsubishi unit it will eventually find them and sending commands seems to make the little blue light blink but the aircon will not respond to any fan, temp or ON/OFF commands from the phone or web. I did try to reset it and re-add the device several times but it didn't work on this system for me. I even turned off the firewall and rebooted the router/access point a few times.

Perhaps these 2010 A/C units are too old for its array of IR codes stored in its memory (assume)? If I find the energy later I may try it on one of my Daikin 3 phase units but I'm not hopeful.
EDIT: Tried the Daikin on the same SSID as before as well as on a second AP SSID. Not happening on this system.

I will then take it to my office on a completely different WiFi network and different brand router ISP etc with Samsung aircons of the 2016 vintage and try it before I return it via Lazada's return system.
EDIT: Tried on my office Samsung A/C. Different wireless network, ISP etc. Didn't work so I either have a dud or these don't work as advertised or I am too stupid. Gave up, will attempt to return it.

I will update or post again if it works at me office next week but for now, I can't recommend buying this little bugger just yet.
Last edited by Potamoi on July 14, 2022, 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Benjamin Franklin

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » June 29, 2022, 7:33 pm

Just ordered a new remote for my LG A/C , 98 baht

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”