Buying a video camera in Thailand

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
lee
udonmap.com

Buying a video camera in Thailand

Post by lee » September 25, 2008, 11:33 am

I'm looking into buying a video camera (camcorder) in Thailand but am a little overwhelmed with the choices.

Can anyone recommend a good camera? I notice that HD cameras are now popular but conversion software is limited, and you need a HD TV to watch them on. Also would it be best to have a camera with flash and hard-drive instead of say tape of DVD?

Any ideas would be welcomed.

So far I've noticed that the prices for cameras are double in Thailand compared to the states, for example:

In thailand the Canon FS11 is 26,075 baht here: http://www.shop4thai.com/en/product/22273/ but only 14,240 baht in the USA: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s ... caid=17902

In Thailand the Canon VIXIA HF-10 is 44,767 baht here: http://www.shop4thai.com/en/product/22270/ but only 22,720 baht in the USA: http://www.zoommania.com/descript.asp?prodid=2573B001

Any ideas why cameras are so expensive here? Surely it would make more sense to order from the states and have it shipped here. I thought electronic goods were cheaper in SE Asia. :confused:

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Re: Buying a video camera in Thailand

Post by ting_tong » September 25, 2008, 11:45 am

HD means hard drive, movies are easily transferrable to a PC for DVD burning.

I like Sony cams. I bought a demo one for $325.00 and it has a 60gig HD
Its small as a coke can and is easy to use.

My camera in thailand does costs double vs USA prices.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » September 25, 2008, 12:28 pm

Hi
I agree that Sony is probably the best, and hard disk is the way to go and no need to convert, just copy to computer for editing and burning. Tape is old technology now and stay clear of the DVD and Mini DVD.
I'm surprised why they are so expensive, might pay to shop around, I just got a Sony digital still cam in MBK cheaper than in Oz or duty free. E-Bay may be an option.
Barry

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » September 25, 2008, 12:32 pm

Hi Again
I just see that the Canon FS11 is 16.5K BHT in Oz via online shopping, but I think that these online shops are not cheap and you would do better looking around.
Barry

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » September 25, 2008, 12:32 pm

ting_tong wrote:HD means hard drive
I thought it also meant HD (High Definition) which is what I was actually referring to.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » September 25, 2008, 1:29 pm

Lee,
There is also a lot of kit coming on the market that records on a flash card. No moving parts to go tits up. That is what I'm looking at, a camera that records on flash card media.
Tape is now obselete, I must upgrade my Panasonic camera that records on VHS-C.
Go for either Sony or Panasonic. Do a search on the web, look at some review sites and you're get more of an idea. Udon prices for gadgets are higher than Bangkok, and there is more choice in the Big Mango.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 27, 2008, 4:04 pm

HD is High Def..

And the ones labelled 'HDD' and 'HD' are Hard Disk Drives and High Definition...just to clear any confusion.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » September 29, 2008, 2:44 pm

Lee, when you make your decision let me know what you decided on. I will check prices here (Aus) and as the GST (VAT) is refunded there is a 10% saving.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » September 29, 2008, 6:01 pm

I have a Sony with a 40 gig hard drive, about 7hrs at best resolution. For my needs, more hard drive space than I need. Sony uses quality lenses and for me lens quality trumps hard drive size. Watch prices, I bought mine on sale in Robertsons for about the same price as on line.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » September 29, 2008, 6:48 pm

wokkawombat wrote:Lee, when you make your decision let me know what you decided on. I will check prices here (Aus) and as the GST (VAT) is refunded there is a 10% saving.

John
Cheers John, I'm thinking of a Sony SR220, Sony SR5 or Sony SR46. I believe they're about 10,000-15,000 bt cheaper in Oz and probably even less after taxes. If you could find out the cost at Duty Free that would be great, thanks. :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 29, 2008, 8:23 pm

Lee shopping at Duty Free can be an expensive option in Oz, unless you are after smokes or booze.

Most imported electronics are now duty free in Oz, so you are better shopping around at the discount electrical shops or major stores. Provided the purchase is >$300, you can get the 10% GST refunded at the airport.

I suggest you google what you are looking for, and restrict the search to .au sites. You will come up with several sites that will give you price comparisons at a number of shops.

For example, this site http://www.shopbot.com.au/ gives the following price ranges - SR220 ($812 - $1220), SR5 ($910 - 1700) and SR46 ($570 - 699).

Here http://www.myshopping.com.au the prices are $830 +, 1569 + and $652 +

There are numerous other sites.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » October 4, 2008, 12:37 pm

Lee, a couple of prices DCR SR220 1080 Kanga dollars, DCR SR46 650 Kanga dollars BUT they said you have to buy Sony international warranty on top from Sony. No SR 5 on their computer

Also I am not sure when I will be leaving due to an ankle operation and will have to wait for a firm departure date before I buy.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » October 4, 2008, 12:56 pm

Thanks John, I think I'll wait since I'm not 100% sure which model to buy yet.

I hope your operation is a success and not too painful.

Cheers, Lee

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » October 4, 2008, 6:46 pm

it wont be long till i come to udon and would be happy to bring one from uk just have it posted to my home in uk and i will bring out we have a vast chioce here ok not duty free but i think the prices for lower end models are high its just a idea
even better would be to contact someone who goes back to the us every year
but the offer is there
regards john

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”