Watching Televsion from a computor

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
cyclist
udonmap.com

Watching Televsion from a computor

Post by cyclist » October 2, 2008, 5:04 pm

I am thinking about paying to download software from a company called Satellite TV for PC â„¢ . They advertise 3,000 channels from all over the world for a one off payment of $49.95.

It sounds to good to be true to me. They don't give any information as to what would be needed to work the systen at all,

ie, dial up,broadband or whatever.

Has anyone got this system and if so is it any good.

The link is, http://www.satellitetvtopc.com/?hop=derek1985

Cheers Barrie.

Ter
udonmap.com

Re: Watching Televsion from a computor

Post by Ter » October 2, 2008, 5:26 pm

There are numerous companies and people doing this for free, google it as individuals are broadcasting over the net as well as small companies and sites, give them a try. It will also depend on your broadband width. Another option is USB type converters with an antenna which will give you free view and some satellite channels if the area you are in is not to built up.
I personally use an elgato on my mac and its clear as a bell.
Give google a good look and good luck,
Ter :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 2, 2008, 5:29 pm

Forget the subscription. Everything you could want is already available for free.

Try googling "streaming TV" and you will come up with plenty of hits.

You will need adsl 1000kBs at a minimum - the faster your stream, the better the picture you will get.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » October 2, 2008, 6:28 pm

Yes, thanks guys, expected that might be the answer.

At the present time I live In the country and have no landline for the internet. I use a Cat C-motech usb modem with a maximum of around 265kbs, so I think I will have to rely on downloading movies on Limewire until they hook me up to the landline.

Thaks again

Barrie
:( :( :(

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 2, 2008, 6:39 pm

Barrie

Forget Limewire - very dangerous for viruses etc.

I recommend downloading via torrents.

google minova and then utorrent. Much safer than Limewire.

Cheers

jack

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » October 2, 2008, 8:01 pm

Jack,

I have got U Torrent but can only get 2/3 kbts a second and it takes days to download anything. Haveyou any suggestions to get a faster download speed. I actually use MP3 Rocket for the downloads which is the limewire upgrade. This gives me around 50 to 80 kbs a second.

I would prefer to use the UTorrent because it seems to have more variety but is too slow.

Thanks Barrie

:? :? :?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 2, 2008, 8:02 pm

Oooo nooooo... NOT Limewire???!!!!

As soon as you get this message, log off, disconnect, power off and place you computer/laptop in a bucket of Clorox. Then go to an internet cafe and send a message of apology to everyone you have ever emailed or chatted online with.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » October 2, 2008, 8:07 pm

That Bad eh.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 2, 2008, 8:22 pm

Barrie the first thing you need is a good torrent client. Mininova is a very popular one, but there are others.

You can then search within these for whatever you are looking for. One of the important points is to look for how many seeders there are for the particular torrent you are looking for - the more the better.

If you have only one or two seeders you may struggle with download speeds. If you have plenty, your download speed should be adequate.

Tamada was exaggerating a little, bit Limewire is certainly a dangerous place to be.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » October 2, 2008, 8:27 pm

D'oh #-o #-o #-o #-o

You coul'd have reminded me to take the plug out of the electrical socket before I put it in the bucket of water. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 2, 2008, 8:29 pm

Heard of people having grief from Limewire...but never had any myself (Music only)...is it really bad anyone had a bad thing from it, its a big name so why is it so bad..?
Can You Dig It Dug.?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 2, 2008, 8:38 pm

BM the main difference I found is that if you are using torrents (eg utorrent) there is a section to report if a torrent is infected - or for that matter, even if it is just a piss poor torrent.

From my memory of Limewire, no such provision exists.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » October 2, 2008, 8:39 pm

Jack,

Thanks for the info, and I will investigate Mininova. But I have to admit to being a total no brainer when we start talking about seeders and the technical workings of the computor.

The only type of seeders I understand are the ones gardeners use. But all is not lost I shall start a search on my computor on seeders. Maybe Limewire will be able to provide the info!! I'm Joking.

Barrie

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 2, 2008, 8:46 pm

The original LimeWire was (I think) spawned in Australia and was one of the first really bad purveyors of adware and malware. There was even a Symantec uninstaller developed to get it out of a machine. We had a Petroleum Engineer in the office had it on his laptop and it took ages and the download to sort out his machine. Also kacked a hardrive on another office PC, somehow killed the MBR.

I just did a wiki on the product and it seems like the new hosts have used the name blissfully unaware of it's old connotations. Kinda like Ford bringing out the "all new Edsel". Or maybe the new generation of bittorenters are too young to recall what a bad act it used to be.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » October 2, 2008, 9:46 pm

Hmm,

I have to admit I have downloaded around fifty films on the pro version of Limewire and a couple of thousand songs and I have not had a problem.

However a friend downloaded a chess game a couple of years ago and that was infected with avirus.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 2, 2008, 10:13 pm

just asked a mate his kids have over 4000 tracks, never had a big prob(only a few that got sorted through antivirus), but his kids downloaded something to i-tunes(recently) and it had to bypass all his antivirus(To download it.) and Kapow....!!!! (His desktop is history), so there are problems with it if you let it get round the protection. :|
Can You Dig It Dug.?

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » October 3, 2008, 1:28 am

guys in the uj i use www.sopcast its free but sports like live soccer are in a diff language but viewing quality is watchable i also d/load music off aries.com brill d/load for music no torrents just type in the song or the artist and up they pop when you find your song just hit transfer and its there saved give em a try and let us know. on the other side can you give me a site for thai tv soaps i can watch dont ask me why just miss watching the crap and need a crap check instead of corrie and eastenders cheers Vlad :razz:

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » October 3, 2008, 3:36 am

this is the software i use on my desktop it works well with my broadband speed
http://hxjohn-internet-tv-on-pc.blogspot.com/ not free but worth the small fee :D
pps try this site always top media http://www.mininova.org/user/aXXo
i also have limewirepro but lots of trogans on there stay away if i where you [-X

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » October 3, 2008, 4:22 am

look out lads [-X !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lots of bugs out there !!!!

#-o

be careful where you download stuff from.... or what you click on if you dont know what you are doing !!!!!!

warning !!!!
www.udonmap.com

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » October 3, 2008, 3:14 pm

very true i have a old laptop that i can download some things to / but best thing is if your not sure dont run a file
when your antivirus adware and firewall turned off it could land you in big trouble :-k
i use avast and its saved my bacon a few times plus its free you can download it from pc world they have a section of there website dedicated to free sofware http://www.pcworld.com/article/130045-2 ... ebies.html \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”