Internet/PC security

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by Ray.Charles » August 12, 2012, 6:08 pm

I downloaded the MS security essentials for the MS website.
I also have the product ID on the systems spec. and have frequently been updated from MS.
Thanks for your patience.

jorg
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by jorg » August 12, 2012, 6:28 pm

Security certificate errors can be caused by your BIOS clock and date being set incorrectly. So what is your system time/date? Maybe that got changed when they fixed the motherboard? If it is not correct, then change it to the correct time and date.

I see a lot of comments on Vista being a bad OS, that is not really true. I've been running Vista for a long time and, with all the updates, never had any serious problems with it. Yes Windows 7 is faster but upgrading Vista to 7 is not worth the investment.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by Ray.Charles » August 12, 2012, 10:57 pm

Problem solved.
The date was reset back to the software's original installation date when the BD computer folks fiddled with the motherboard; and indeed that was the cause behind all the security messages because there were no more security message after I reset the date/time for today. Thanks Jorg.
By the way,it took MS security essential almost 2 hours to scan to decide that my compter is free of bad stuff.
I will sleep better tonight; tomorrow will try to find out the reason behind the message "internet explorer has stopped working' when it does not. Or, just install Firefox as you guys seem to prefer. Thank you all.
As a token of appreciation, I would like to invite you for a cup of coffee at Udon Delice at 3-00 PM, on Tuesday. At least KB and I will be there, hoping for a few more for a chat.
Ray

rick
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by rick » August 13, 2012, 3:51 am

I get 'Internet explorer has stopped working' frequently on a number of computers - that's because it is a crap program... with google chrome much less often. If you do wish to continue to use IE, just cancel out of it and 9 out of 10 times it will work. I assume it is because if the program doesn't get back an instant response it thinks there is a problem; actually just slow internet/computer. But it is annoying.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by Ray.Charles » August 13, 2012, 10:10 am

Following the unanimous advice of the advisers I have got myself Firefoxed. It is so nice of it to check the spelling errors as I write this post.. no tension, no embarrassment in the future. Thanks again. Isn't there anything to defend IE?
Status now: Vista/MS SE/Firefox. Considering if my next step should be to upgrade to Windows 7.
Reminding you guys that the coffee is on me tomorrow at 15-00 at Udon Delice.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by JimboPSM » August 13, 2012, 10:38 am

Ray.Charles wrote:.... Isn't there anything to defend IE?
I’ve tried a few browsers, but for my requirements, which includes copying bulk data to put into separate cells in excel spreadsheets, IE is still my browser of choice.

I've tried working by switching between browssers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) but for me it's more trouble than it's worth.

I’ve not (yet) found a better browser for copying and pasting of bulk data into my spreadsheets, if I do I may or may not change.

With the ridiculous amounts I’ve paid to Microsoft for all the versions of Office I’ve used I cetainly don’t owe them any loyalty, however I seem to be fairly unique in not having problems with IE (even on Vista) and for my usage if it ain’t broke, why bother to fix it :-k
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by BobHelm » August 13, 2012, 11:12 am

You are, of course correct Jimbo that it is horses for courses.
I still use IE for internet banking with HSBC, but that is more down to a HSBC issue than anything else. Personally I would not dream of using it for general browsing.
Microsoft do not deserve any sympathy about their policies towards their customers though.
The latest version of Internet Explorer (9) is not available to users on XP. Seeing how that is still nearly 50% of PC users I think it shows a callous disregard to customers who have paid for its' products in the past. Especially as there are free alternatives available I would be reluctant to use it at all...

In the case of Firefox & data manipulation....
It could well be that you require a free 'add on' in order to achieve what you want with data manipulation into Excel.
Firefox has rather developed its' browser that way. Rather than trying to be all things to all people 'add ons' are available that assist certain browsing activities.
Have a look at
Data Analytics 0.1.9
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
that might fulfill your needs & give you easy access to material not previously available.
Excel solutions for business 20111014
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search
Might be worth a view by you, although I am well aware that you have developed your own Excel tools...

jorg
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by jorg » August 13, 2012, 1:08 pm

Good to read that fixing the date fixed a part of your problem Ray.Charles, being in Holland i have to take a rain check for that cup of coffee.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by rjj04 » September 14, 2012, 1:10 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19 ... icRSS20-sa

now... what are these "extra" items that local Thai companies install on your Windows computer, for your benefit of course?
I wonder if MSFT made it down this way.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by WBU ALUM » September 17, 2012, 6:09 pm

If your computer and the data is important to you, pay the money for an online backup system for your files and buy good Internet security. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for ...

pompui
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by pompui » July 15, 2013, 2:01 am

Looking to change from Avast when my free period expires,does mcafee have any free or are all security products on a yearly cost purchase :-k Ta for any help and thanks to first page of this thread, will avoid running 2 together 8)

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by WBU ALUM » July 15, 2013, 6:25 am

You get what you pay for ...

I've been running Norton for years. Never had a virus attack or computer malfunction due to any attack. It's worth the $4 per month to cover three computers.
“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by BobHelm » July 15, 2013, 7:14 am

Unless you are venturing into risky areas of the internet & providing you never open attachments on e-mails that look suspicious then Microsoft Security Systems is adequate for most people. It is completely free if you are using (I think) Vista or above, certainly 7 & above.
Virus signature updates come through on a regular basis & are also free.
You do need to be running a 'genuine' copy of Windows though..
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download ... px?id=5201

A bit 'belt & braces' but because I download quite a lot of data & programs I also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software. That is also free & is excellent at discovering bits of adware & malware that some of the pay for anti-virus systems don't even look for.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_ ... 4god2j8ACg

Personally I would stay away from free versions from any of the major anti-virus manufacturers.

pompui
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by pompui » July 15, 2013, 8:07 am

Thanks for the advice and links 8)

udonmarc
Admin

Internet/PC security

Post by udonmarc » July 16, 2013, 8:38 am

FWIW, the only one which successfully fends off the deadly Windows Defender virus is Kaspersky, IME. I've now been hit with this virus twice, but my Geek Squad guy told me that Kaspersky is the only one which protects against it, and since then no probs.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by Jing Jing » July 16, 2013, 3:11 pm

I use Ad-aware and Spybot. They both have been pretty good. Spybot is free and Ad-aware is free but there is an inexpensive upgrade.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”