How to Boost Your TOT Internet for Free

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: How to Boost Your TOT Internet for Free

Post by Stantheman » February 3, 2020, 8:38 am

I have an older adapter so a little slower then newer ones, the 2.4ghz max speed is 150 Mbps and 5ghz is 433 Mbps. This is the max available but can be slower if router is being used by multiple devices.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » February 3, 2020, 1:31 pm

OK TY. I'll buy one and see how it goes.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » May 20, 2020, 7:19 pm

It doesn't quite fit the topic title but TOT Fiber2u internet users will probably notice this promotion advertised on the latest bill.
'Work @ Home' initiative. 300 Mbps down/up for 300 baht per month, plus VAT. Start now and it lasts until the end of the year, when monthly cost reverts to the normal 590 baht. For me, it means a small 50 Mbps increase in internet speed (from 250 to 300), but 50% reduction in cost (300 baht). Ok, hardly a fortune, but for the sake of asking a TOT administrator to push a few keys on his keyboard ........... :-k

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » May 20, 2020, 7:33 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
May 20, 2020, 7:19 pm
It doesn't quite fit the topic title but TOT Fiber2u internet users will probably notice this promotion advertised on the latest bill.
'Work @ Home' initiative. 300 Mbps down/up for 300 baht per month, plus VAT. Start now and it lasts until the end of the year, when monthly cost reverts to the normal 590 baht. For me, it means a small 50 Mbps increase in internet speed (from 250 to 300), but 50% reduction in cost (300 baht). Ok, hardly a fortune, but for the sake of asking a TOT administrator to push a few keys on his keyboard ........... :-k
Brian how reliable is tot network they used to be poor but maybe fibre has changed that

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » May 20, 2020, 8:26 pm

dunroaming wrote:
May 20, 2020, 7:33 pm
Brian how reliable is tot network they used to be poor but maybe fibre has changed that
I can't speak generally, but on an individual basis, I've been very happy with the fiber optic, right from a careful, professional installation to everyday use. The internet is very rarely unavailable. Any problems I have had (rare) have been sorted quickly and, to my recollection, the modem or router has been replaced/upgraded without charge, when it seems that may have been causing a problem. I stress I'm only a home, not business, internet user and don't concern myself with 'phone use (I'm certainly in the dinosaur category there), but the wife uses the phone a lot and links free in Thailand and with Germany/Norway almost daily. As you see, I usually pay about 600 baht monthly for (now) 300 Mbps up/down, which is speedy enough for me for the usual communication, internet searching and downloading. I don't know your location or needs, but Phen is, I feel, a bit of a developing area and I think it's accurate to say that CAT, TOT and True have all been running cables nearby. Perhaps other members who are more 'up' on technology would be able to advise better?

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » September 24, 2020, 3:40 pm

TOT offering Gigabolt(!) now from 590THB. We got it, only goes to 300mbps tho, might be the older router we have. Still OK tho.

https://www.tot.co.th/gigabolt-ads

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 25, 2020, 4:36 am

Mjkt wrote:
September 24, 2020, 3:40 pm
TOT offering Gigabolt(!) now from 590THB. We got it, only goes to 300mbps tho, might be the older router we have. Still OK tho.

https://www.tot.co.th/gigabolt-ads
I need to check this still by popping into TOT, but I'm not certain this is a new promotion, or that it applies to the Udon area. The dates(of the promotion, I think) mentioned in Thai are from May until the end of this month and there's reference to its' availability being in Bangkok and surrounding provinces only.
I believe the service you have is the same as mine, offering 300 mbps for 590 baht, although if you saw my previous post, there is an offer halving the cost until the end of the year.

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » September 25, 2020, 2:02 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
September 25, 2020, 4:36 am
I believe the service you have is the same as mine, offering 300 mbps for 590 baht, although if you saw my previous post, there is an offer halving the cost until the end of the year.
You could be right there, the Mrs went in and asked for Gigabolt when I gave her the advert and she came back with a faster albeit 300mbps. I am not sure what its called, will wait for the next invoice TOT sends where they usually list the package currently used.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 26, 2020, 4:59 am

I did go in to the main TOT office, whilst in Udon yesterday.
Communication was a bit of a struggle, but I certainly believe the advert you highlighted was intended for Bangkok and nearby. We're talking fiber optic here.
My understanding is that here you can increase your speed to more than 300/300, but you'll pay more than 590 baht per month - and I gained the impression an increase is not possible everywhere. In Udon town, yes, but the lady suggested not possible in Phen ????
Anyway, personally happy with my system,speed and cost as it is.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 12, 2020, 11:16 am

Hi gents
I am a self confessed dinosaur when it comes to IT things. My daughter is upgrading both phone and tablet to 4G. I need some advice as to the best provider package for internet browsing and gaming. She does not use the telephone voice calls that often so do not need massive amounts of phone allowance. Any recommendations or information on best provider would be most welcome.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 13, 2020, 1:27 pm

Sounds like a search for the best data packages for a smartphone? The difference between internet browsing and online gaming is immense. For example, I use DTAC 299 baht/month for 5Gb of non-stop internet on my phone and I burn through maybe 90% of that just streaming BBC and other radio channels. I don't watch YouTube's or any videos bigger than the short ones people share on social media. Streaming video and gaming is what eats up bandwidth. My lad plays games on his smartphone and can happily burn through 20 bahts worth of AIS internet top-ups a day. On the few times I have hot-spotted my son on my data, maybe a couple or three evenings a month, I have run out of my DTAC max-speed data before the end of the month.

I had an AIS package of 200 baht/month for 1Gb max-speed but it always ran out before the 30-days were up and like most others, was throttled unless I bought an add-on. I only use AIS for voice as that's the number I have had for ages. I found keeping tabs on AIS's best data offers was a hit or a miss as they come and go and tend to have undeclared subscription caps. If they only offered 100 sign-ups, you wouldn't get any messages saying as much or the offer was closed, only 'please try again' prompts. Quite infuriating. Although DTAC's offerings may be fewer, I find they are easier to understand and adequate. I also prefer the DTAC app over the AIS app for checking on account status, checking offers, etc..

I haven't bothered trying True.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 13, 2020, 3:54 pm

Thanks Tam
Have been trying for ages to wean the missus off True but she is the proverbial pigheaded Thai woman who will not listen (after all she is not paying for it.) Your correct in saying not gaming per
se but playing apps and umpteen hours on You Tube and FB. Actual voice phone use is pretty minimal and mines will now be virtually nothing as the weekly calls to mum in Scotland are now no longer needed. Use AIS as my internet provider and have no real issues with them just wondered if there was better deals out there.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 14, 2020, 11:53 am

Since each person's concept of 'typical' internet use varies, I would suggest getting one of those mid-range, 300 baht/month packages around 5Gb and see how the 30-day usage goes. AIS and DTAC apps allow monitoring of use so pretty sure any True app has the same. If it looks like it's burned out before the 30-days are up and gets throttled, try a bigger package. Conversely, if there seems to be 'credit' left at the end of 30-days, downsize the package.

I don't do FB but one thing I did notice on other people's devices was a default for any embedded videos to start streaming as they were scrolled through. If you paused on the message, the video would play without having to open it full-screen and presumably stop after you scrolled beyond it. This would be a data burner IMHO. I noticed LinkedIn did the same on the PC but there's a menu setting to disable that. Not an issue on the monthly home internet bill but I found it distracting and annoying so turned it off. Maybe FB has that option now? I also noticed that a recent LINE update has enabled the same embedded video autoplay function. Maybe app developers have optimized this so it doesn't eat up data allowances but if it can be turned off on a smartphone app, that would be my preference.

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » November 14, 2020, 8:42 pm

I don't understand the above posts about mobile internet packages and data running out, throttling etc. I got through about 120GB of data during a month with the SIM card hot-spotting to IPTV left on several hours each day plus general internet use. I buy the 'No limit' unlimited packages that only go up to 10mbps speeds, but that is enough to watch IPTV and bandwidth intensive use. If I sign up for the 'No limit' unlimited package with my existing DTAC number it costs about 330THB/w but I have just ordered one of the dedicated No limit' unlimited package SIMs off Shopee that sell for 300THB/m or 1600THB/y from all three main providers DTAC, AIS and True.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 9, 2021, 1:25 pm

Been away for 13 months......marooned at our daughter's house in one of the top 10 biggest cities in US (and not in the outskirts). She's been paying about $100 a month for non-fiber internet that was far less speed than what I'm getting in the jungle of K. 18. Today I walked into what was the TOT office (now the National Telecom Public Company), showed them a copy of my last bill for 490 Baht which gives 150up/150down speeds, asked if I could upgrade. He pressed some keys on his computer, asked if I wanted to keep the same price, then said I'm good to go at 500up/500down. Yes, I understand that speedtests of Thai speeds may not be the real story, but there's no doubt in my mind that whatever speed I'm getting at 490 Baht is much better than what our daughter is getting in one of the biggest cities in the US for $100.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 10, 2021, 9:24 am

After Songkran and hoping Covid doesn't mean further shutdowns in Udon, I'll have to call in again and see what deal I can achieve. Myself and relatives nearby are currently paying 290 baht for 100 down/100 up, a speed which actually seems fine for my needs, but perhaps 500/500 would be a noticeable improvement for not much more cost? - if available in Phen. The 290 baht above was a 50% discount on the normal price for 100/100 supposed to last until January only, but perhaps because of Covid, TOT has not returned to charging the full amount.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 30, 2021, 10:57 am

TOT called us yesterday to arrange installing a new router. They came this morning, plugged in a zte corp router f600w, waited a few minutes for the main office to ensure all was connected, and off we go! Charge? Nada.
Download 547, upload 383, ping 11, jitter 8.84, in the jungle 490 Baht per month

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”