Fired my Firefox Browser

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Fired my Firefox Browser

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 9, 2020, 5:01 pm

After more than 15 years I have dumped "Firefox". It just became so bloated with security crap was turning into an "Internet Explorer" = Slow as the 2nd coming!!

Refreshing open tabs was taking 5 minutes and more even with this site. AND, before you ask I only use one extension = ABP.

I have the latest fibre optic 3BB service provider.

Anyway, I installed Google Chrome = WOW, a breath of fresh air, imported all my Firefox bookmarks and living in a new world - complete with their ABP.

Just thought I'd pass this on.

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

cjd01
udonmap.com

Re: Fired my Firefox Browser

Post by cjd01 » June 9, 2020, 5:18 pm

agree about Firefox turned into crap, I tried chrome but found it had quite a lot of the same security bs currently using Pale Moon a lookalike of Firefox so far happy but will continue to check out others, also don't use google search engine get sick of offers coming after searching for something.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 9, 2020, 6:50 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 9, 2020, 5:01 pm
After more than 15 years I have dumped "Firefox". It just became so bloated with security crap was turning into an "Internet Explorer" = Slow as the 2nd coming!!

Refreshing open tabs was taking 5 minutes and more even with this site. AND, before you ask I only use one extension = ABP.

I have the latest fibre optic 3BB service provider.

Anyway, I installed Google Chrome = WOW, a breath of fresh air, imported all my Firefox bookmarks and living in a new world - complete with their ABP.

Just thought I'd pass this on.
You are now Google's Bitch!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 9, 2020, 6:57 pm

Dero if it's taking 5 minutes to refresh tabs, the problem is with your setup, not Firefox.

While UM.com can be a little slow sometimes (maybe 10 seconds), it is generally fine on my FF browser.

RLT is correct (albeit with excessive hyperbole) about Chrome.

In the meantime, if you are still using XP, can I suggest Netscape Browser. :D

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 9, 2020, 7:17 pm

cjd01 wrote:
June 9, 2020, 5:18 pm
agree about Firefox turned into crap, I tried chrome but found it had quite a lot of the same security bs currently using Pale Moon a lookalike of Firefox so far happy but will continue to check out others, also don't use google search engine get sick of offers coming after searching for something.
I rate Pale Moon as I needed something reasonably fast over satellite internet while offshore several years ago. I haven't used it for a while though. Has it been kept up to date?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » June 9, 2020, 7:18 pm

If you want to use firefox would say try "Cliqz" runs on top, else if you like chrome then try "Brave" does the same.

either way your no ones "Bitch"

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 9, 2020, 7:27 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 9, 2020, 6:57 pm
Dero if it's taking 5 minutes to refresh tabs, the problem is with your setup, not Firefox.

While UM.com can be a little slow sometimes (maybe 10 seconds), it is generally fine on my FF browser.

RLT is correct (albeit with excessive hyperbole) about Chrome.

I have to agree with that. AFAIK Firefox doesn't have issues with "security crap" in that it firewalls itself up the ying yang. But like any browser, if one has been a bit too cavalier in allowing certain cookies from certain sites, it can become laggy. Take a look at any extensions or add-ons that are installed and either update them or delete them, preferably the latter. Then install the ones you need.

Uninstalling and reinstalling only works if one uses one of the recommended procedures on the internet. For the most part, Firefox's native uninstaller leaves all sorts of stuff in registry and elsewhere and is pretty rubbish. The clean install is anything but clean.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 9, 2020, 8:32 pm

I gave up on Firefox several years ago and used Chrome as my default browser. Chrome was freezing up once in a while so I downloaded and tried Opera. Then back to Chrome but got tired of the glitches. I recently changed my default browser to Opera. I am impressed with Opera and will continue to use it until it too develops problems. I did shut off the built in ad blocker and use adblock plus which works great.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 10, 2020, 8:18 am

jackspratt wrote:
<snip>
Would you believe I am, on my standby PC which only gets used to back up my data bases. It's not connected to the outside world.

FF was basically configured in the "default" mode and as I stated the ONLY extension installed was ABP. I jerked around with cookies etc. to no avail. Yet to see anything intrusive from Google! Chrome worked well during my online 90 day report yesterday.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » June 10, 2020, 8:30 am

glalt wrote:
June 9, 2020, 8:32 pm
I gave up on Firefox several years ago and used Chrome as my default browser. Chrome was freezing up once in a while so I downloaded and tried Opera. Then back to Chrome but got tired of the glitches. I recently changed my default browser to Opera. I am impressed with Opera and will continue to use it until it too develops problems. I did shut off the built in ad blocker and use adblock plus which works great.
God morning Forum readers !

Opera has been my go to Browser for the last 20 years.First not free but now it is and i love her.

Have an blessed day everyone...//DD out...:-)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 10, 2020, 10:28 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 10, 2020, 8:18 am
jackspratt wrote:
<snip>
Would you believe I am, on my standby PC which only gets used to back up my data bases. It's not connected to the outside world.

FF was basically configured in the "default" mode and as I stated the ONLY extension installed was ABP. I jerked around with cookies etc. to no avail. Yet to see anything intrusive from Google! Chrome worked well during my online 90 day report yesterday.
I admit I threw out FF about 8 years ago for the same reasons, slow and glitchy response. That was when I was told about Pale Moon, a stripped-down but still customizable version of FF. In the meantime. I also read that mozilla's native FF uninstaller doesn't remove everything, leaving behind user data and key registry settings. It's a 'dirty' uninstaller, leaves key configuration settings unchanged (the installer see a folder already exists and skips overwriting the bad settings) and why earlier attempts to solve performance issues with a 'clean' installation never worked. The so-called clean reinstall also seemed too quick... because half the stuff was still there.

After I used one of the D.I.Y. uninstall routines, the first thing I noticed that the ensuing clean install was slower, because it was actually rewriting everything rather than skipping pre-existing folders that may have corrupted data. Since that event, all my FF updates have been flawless and it's as fast as it used to be.

I will have a search for the total uninstall instruction that I used with success; that was back in W7 days. If you google "total firefox remove or uninstall", you will see several links. Avoid the mozilla-hosted ones and also avoid any that suggest you download and install a third-party program. There's no need to install something that you can easily do by yourself if you have enough sense and know how to follow precisely the registry editing (one line item) that's required.

What version of FF were you using last? My current one is as follows.
ff77.jpg
PS: Did a quick check and this link is pretty close to what I had to do. If having issues with accessing the appdata folder, using the %appdata% function in search should work.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... la-firefox

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 10, 2020, 11:33 am

tamada wrote:
June 10, 2020, 10:28 am

What version of FF were you using last? My current one is as follows.

ff77.jpg

One version down from the latest-: 76.0.1 (64 Bit)

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 10, 2020, 7:24 pm

Currently I'm using the new version of Microsoft Edge, which is based on Chrome. Not bloated or slow like the old Internet Explorer. Supposed to be compatible with MacOs. Following from Jan 2020 article.
"Right on schedule, Microsoft today launched its new Edge browser based on Google’s Chromium open source project. You can download Chromium Edge now for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and macOS directly from microsoft.com/edge in more than 90 languages."

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » June 10, 2020, 8:02 pm

I use uBlock origin and Firefox is better than its ever been. Also like Brave.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 10, 2020, 10:35 pm

I am now trying out the NEW MS Edge and they finally have a competitive version. This is the first time that I have been impressed with an MS browser. So far it is great.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 11, 2020, 10:50 am

I think that Micro Soft decided that if they can't beat them to join them. Two days using the new Edge and not a single problem. Today I made Edge my default browser.

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » June 11, 2020, 3:21 pm

tamada wrote:
June 9, 2020, 7:17 pm
cjd01 wrote:
June 9, 2020, 5:18 pm
I rate Pale Moon as I needed something reasonably fast over satellite internet while offshore several years ago. I haven't used it for a while though. Has it been kept up to date?
Sorry late reply been on secret farm business preparing for trip back to Oz
Yes constant updates to Pale Moon and as fast as ever
When MS introduced W10 moved to Linux and for the couple of programs that don't run installed VMWare running W7 as a VM.
Never been happier should have done it years ago.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » June 15, 2020, 10:04 am

I am getting ready to fire firefox also, the glitches and problems I have all began with two recent firefox updates, before that it was great. Now I have to switch to chrome or IE to be able to even visit certain websites or to finish certain online transactions without freeze ups.
On my Windows 10 setups i will try Edge and see how it does.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 15, 2020, 4:15 pm

four days on the new Edge as default and not a single thing to complain about.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 19, 2020, 12:06 am

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”