Low internet speed issue

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Low internet speed issue

Post by Brian Davis » June 20, 2020, 2:03 pm

Can anyone advise here?
Quite recently I took advantage of a TOT promotion to increase my fibre optic/wi-fi speed to 300 mbps at a reduced cost. Two houses actually involved - mine ( whoops, the wife's!) where I use a desktop and across the way, where my niece uses an HP Notebook laptop. The problem is that whilst I'm up to 300 + d/l speed, no problem, my niece still can only receive around 100 mbps. Both links have been checked and there's no fiber optic problem. Was a comment by the TOT tech (perhaps meaning older notebooks?) that 'notebooks can only achieve 100 mbps correct or not?
I've looked at various posts referring to firewalls, unwanted applications etc. and acknowledging I don't know a great deal about computers, it just seems to me there's a hard or software issue with the laptop, 'blocking' the available greater speed.
Can I do something about it? Not the end of the world, but good if the laptop could work that much quicker.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Low internet speed issue

Post by jackspratt » June 20, 2020, 2:13 pm

A couple of questions:

How is the niece connected ie does she have her own wired connection, or is she piggybacking off your router with wifi?

and

What is the model of the HP lappy?

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » June 20, 2020, 3:34 pm

With the increased speed they also offer both 5G and 2.4 Mhz. If she is connected to 5G and her laptop isan older model it may not support 5G.

Just a thought

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 20, 2020, 4:27 pm

Yeah, the niece has her own separate fibre optic link, completely separate from my setup - sorry if I confused. The model of the laptop is 14- d008TX.
I'd had a reply from the HP community, who indicates the TOT technician was right, because the spec of the laptop shows " Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN". He, apparently, has an older laptop and is getting around the problem by using an adapter - a hub with an ethernet converter ???

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 20, 2020, 5:54 pm

You have your answer, Brian - you can only open the tap to its capacity.

Sorry, but don't know anything about the adapter/converter.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » June 20, 2020, 8:30 pm

Has anyone reset there adaptors or updated them sometimes slow speeds can be improved updating adapters and the usual delete apps or plug ins you hardly use.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”